Author Topic: Anyone Know What's Up at R&D Gunshop?  (Read 11263 times)

44caliberkid

Anyone Know What's Up at R&D Gunshop?
« on: May 15, 2008, 03:36:14 PM »
   Is R&D Machining closed or going through some problem?  I bought a new conversion cylinder for my Pietta 1860 Army sheriffs model and sent it to them for fitting 5 weeks ago.  I called today and no one answers, their voice mailbox is full and you only get voice mail from the alternative number.

44caliberkid

Re: Anyone Know What's Up at R&D Gunshop?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 03:56:28 PM »
    I never got any replies to this post but I do have a follow up.
    Beware of this company!   I had an R&D conversion cylinder for an 1858 Remington that worked fine.   The Colt conversions seem to be another story.  I bought two, one for an 1860 Army and one for a Uberti 1851 navy.  Both were too long and bound up when you put the barrel back on.  Additionally, the 45 cylinder for the Army, was out of time and didn't turn far enough to engage the bolt slot.   The maker (R&D) said they offered free fitting with about a 3 week turn around, so I sent them the 1860 Army and the cylinder.  After 5 weeks I started trying to get ahold of someone there.   I had two phone numbers, both went to voice mail and the voice mailbox was full, so could'nt leave a message.  I tried again and again , always the same story.  I called the Beloit, WI. PO to see if they were out of business or something, they told me everything appeared fine.  Tried Beloit Chamber of Commerce (no help) and Wisconsin BBB.
   After two months the pistol came back today.  It was poorly packed in a beat to sh*t Priority mail box (new ones are free guys) with the end of the barrel resting unpadded against the end of the box.  The grip was dented and scratched on one side.   The conversion cylinder was installed.  It now turned freely but was still out of time and doesn't lock up (engage the bolt slot).  Furthermore, when I installed the factory C&B cylinder, it's now out of time and the pawl doesn't turn the cylinder most of the time.  So I can't even shoot it C&B now, and this was one of my best pistols before this trip.  So now I'll have to spend a bundle on a real gunsmith just to get my C&B back in order.  The conversion cylinder is going back to Midway.
   Oh, I had sent an e-mail to R&D and said I was on vacation the first week of June and was going to drive to Beloit to see what was going on.  Never received a reply to that message either.   I'd love to discuss this with them but since they don't answer their phone or emails, I guess I'll just have to rant here.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 04:09:13 PM »
I am pretty surprised to hear of your troubles with RandD.  Kenny Howell is very well known and responsible for Tom Sellecks conversions.  I do believe it is a very small shop though.  Still that is no excuse for falling down on customer service.  I am not sure what is going on with some companies today, but it might be a sign of the poor economic times.  I found an interesting article when I did a search.  The RandD conversion cylinders I have bought have all been through Taylors and the gunsmith there is very good at fitting them properly.  Of course I also bought my guns through Taylors so this is a service they provide for free to their customers.  Perhaps somebody else has more information for you.

http://www.bizjournals.com/gen/company.html?gcode=72B8BE5D0A904810AA6EA795E0849DE0

Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:44:47 PM »

Offline Sgt. Jake

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 08:58:03 PM »
    I had problems with the pins on two cylinders I purchaced,and no they wernt dry fired. Tryed for week to get a hold of them and no returned calls, finally went to a smith and am having new properly heattreated firing pins made. I know I will never purchace another product from R&D,nor recomend them to any other pard .       Adios  Sgt. Jake

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 07:29:40 AM »
No excuse for bad service, but I have always had good customer service and have been happy with the their shipping and such.

I really wish these smaller companies would put notices on their web pages and phones when they are out due to supporting large state/regional matches and or closing for summer break.

On a positive note - I sent an email to RL Millington - cause I am interested in one or two of his STARR conversions.  I got an email two days later stating that he has closed his shop for the summer and to try back in so many months.

Wish the email included pricing information - but it at least told me that shop is closed for a time period and that I should not expect anything for that time.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:24:09 AM »
I am pretty surprised to hear of your troubles with RandD.

This has been common knowledge among those who know Kenny for years.  ;)

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 11:15:26 AM »
This has been common knowledge among those who know Kenny for years.  ;)

Seems you are quite the expert Kid.  I have had no trouble with his product, but also have not had any personal dealings with Mr. Howell either. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 11:24:53 AM »
Ok guys, there's a problem, it won't get solved here, folks are now aware....nuff said I hope.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com