Author Topic: Are USFA's realy that much better?  (Read 6216 times)

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Are USFA's realy that much better?
« on: July 09, 2007, 02:29:38 AM »
I know ya'll will probably say yes, but I'm not rich or well off, but am thinking of one.  I like the idea of made in USA, and am looking for an everyday sort of gun that I can count on.  I've had to tinker with every clone I've had and don't want to with the next one.  Honestly, for the money are they that much better?  I'm debating between the Rodeo and a pre war, but want a 7.5" barrel.  Looking over there site they don't list the Rodeo with the 7.5" barrel though.  I also want to get true ivory grips.  I'm thinking of seeing if they'll add army size grip instead of the navy size that is standard to better handle black powder loaded 45 colt.

What'll ya'll think?

Thanks
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Are USFA's realy that much better?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 06:48:10 AM »
Since you are on a budget,  I would go with the Rodeos.  They are the same gun as the Premiums except for the fit and finish which is superior on the Premiums.  You might call Gary Granger and ask if he can make you up a Rodeo in 7.5.  If I recall correctly they originally made the Rodeo in 7.5 but discontinued it.    You  might also look at the Cowboy which is a bit more in price, but comes in the 7.5 for sure.  They can fit True Ivory grips on any of their guns.
I think both the Rodeo and Cowboy come with cross pins and not black powder frames.  However,  Gary Granger can answer all of your questions precisely.  He might even respond here.  Ya never know.   Safe shooting.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline SAAJim

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 08:15:20 AM »
Gary has a 7 1/2" Rodeo in .45 listed on his web site right now for $625 including shipping/insurance. http://www.frontierclassics.com/cartridge.php

I have dealt with Gary. He's a straight shooter and will take great care of you.

Jim

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:33:36 AM »

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 08:48:10 AM »
Thanks guys I'll check them out.

Offline Beans

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 07:54:45 PM »
Are USFA's realy that much better?

YUP!  I have 6 of them ( all Rodeos, 45 cal and two of each barrel length, 4 3/4, 5 1/2, & 7 1/2) and I have been through a bunch of other single actions and will never go back.

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 09:56:48 PM »
Thanks, they sure look good, and I've heard very good things about them, and what with the current lack of quality of Colts there very atractive, I guess it's just hard to shell out for a gun that's three times the price of a Uberti.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
50 years from now, when those Uberti's have been melted down and recycled into washing machine parts, your USFA guns will still be going strong.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 10:39:15 AM »
I do wish USFA would offer other 'top shelf' revolvers. As in open tops, colt percussions, etc.

Im a'waitin' the '58 Rem...

Marshal Deadwood  *who is just not taken with '73SAA's of any kind.

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 10:39:25 PM »
Alright, you all have convinced me!  Not that I needed a lot of arm twisting!  I've settled on a pre-war in 45 colt, figure unless finances change drasticly I'll only be able to afford one, so might as well go top shelf.

One question for you reloaders out there, I emailed about bore grove size and was told .450.  I don't know if that's rite, but if so will they shoot .454 slugs, and if so how well?  I cast my own and love the .454 PRS bullet.  All my other 45's do best with .454, from the Henry on.  I'd hate to have to size down to .451, or get a differant mold.  Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Thanks

Offline Beans

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 09:26:27 AM »
I shoot .451-.452 in my Rodeos as the cylinder throats measure .452  ;D,  BTW I have a Colt  SAA (new) with .456 throats and a .452 bore  :'(

Best accuracy is obtained when the bullet diameter matches the cylinder throat size and it is better yet when the  bullet diameter, cylinder throat size and the bore diameter are very close together. Think USFA  ;D ;D

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 11:13:25 AM »
Well, I guess it's not that big of a deal to size down to .452, a good coat of mould realeas will make the bullets smaller and easer to size.

Thanks

Offline mec

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 06:40:33 AM »
I've shot .454s in a Ruger bH that started out with the undersized chambers and was later reamed out to .4515.  Loads were factory level and the velocity was just about the same as the same loads with .452 bullets.  Accuracy with both diameters was just fine.

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 06:45:48 AM »
Yes, Yes, & Yes!!!  In the world of Colt SAA Replicas, USFA is that much better! 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com