Author Topic: American Indians  (Read 10824 times)

Offline Firstorm Chris

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
American Indians
« on: August 13, 2015, 01:36:37 PM »
From what I know about CAS and about organizations such as SASS, although they're mostly cowboy oriented organizations there is a strong aspect of the american indians and that some of the members themselves are indians and they take on the persona of an indian from the 1800s during CAS events. I do know that american indians played a huge role in the cowboy culture and in the golden age and Im wondering if this would be the proper board to discuss american indians and their culture or if maybe there should be a new board added to the site devoted to discussing them. I must say the american indian culture is a fascinating culture with a fascinating history and that many modern indians even today still carry on with their ancient traditions.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: American Indians
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 01:23:29 AM »
Why don't you try looking through the 'back pages' here, and on a couple of the other forums before suggesting something that's been covered?

You might just be surprised, and the wheel won't have to be reinvented...

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Firstorm Chris

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 07:20:58 PM »
Alright, Im new here so I will see what has been posted before I joined.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:04:26 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 11:01:32 PM »
Always a good idea...

Scouts Out!

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 09:11:47 PM »
Why don't you try looking through the 'back pages' here, and on a couple of the other forums before suggesting something that's been covered?

You might just be surprised, and the wheel won't have to be reinvented...

Scouts Out!

WOW!! What a warm welcome!

Why don't we just stop posting and all look for existing posts on the subject of our interest as I'm sure all the horses in this herd have been beat to death repeatedly! (Such as umm....let's see...the gunfight at the OK Corral) Sheesh!! Back to the OP....

The Native American culture is indeed fascinating. If you're interested in the culture of the Southern Plains Indians (Apaches, Kiowa, and Comanche), with emphasis on the baddest of the bad, the Comanches, I'd suggest the following: "Nine Years Among the Indians" and "The Captured: A True Story of Abduction by Indians on the Texas Frontier". I've read the first and am deep into the second. Both give great looks into the Native American cultures as seen by their captives. Also, "Empire of the Summer Moon" which details the Comanches and Quanah Parker roughly from the mid-1830's until their moving to the reservation in the nid-1870's. This is a great read full of detailed history.

CHT

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 11:09:25 PM »
I would explain all the troll signs in that post, except I am tired and spent some time dealing with another one in a different group earlier today.   But yeah, 99 and 44/100ths percent true that was a troll that decided to find another bridge to hide under. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 08:36:52 AM »
Firestorm Chris, have you read,"The Heart of Everything That Is",  by Bob Drury & Tom Clavin.  A good read on Red Cloud.  I am into the Indian aspect of the old west.
Also welcome to the group
Keep your powder dry
Shawnee McGrutt
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 09:32:37 AM »
If you guys would check, he hasn't been on since a few days after he posted, he was given advice, but was stopped in his tracks from causing trouble and moved on, probably trolling cat boards now.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 10:34:31 AM »

To me, the purest expression of the influence forged by Native American culture and Cowboy Action Shooting would look towards the military Scouts, such as the Pawnee Scouts under North, or the Reservation or Indian Police forces. Their occupation called for the type of armament used in CAS.

RCJ 
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 10:39:23 AM »
If you guys would check, he hasn't been on since a few days after he posted, he was given advice, but was stopped in his tracks from causing trouble and moved on, probably trolling cat boards now.

I guess I didn't see how he was causing trouble or trolling with the questions he asked and the subject to which he referred. I presumed he never returned because he was scolded for his seemingly innocuous post.

CHT

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 11:11:12 AM »
Yeah, I really didn't get a trolling vibe from this post.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 01:45:30 PM »
Serious people do a little reading as to what is there before they start asking questions, it's the polite thing to do.   

Also not very specific to tribe, time period or any of that.   Either troll or someone not serious enough to do some research on their own first before asking questions.  See them all the time on other groups also.  Had one Sat tell me she didn't have time to Google.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 02:07:51 PM »
It's funny, but there are these buildings called 'Public Libraries' out there that are crammed with books - even books on Cowboys and Indians, and their lives that oddly enough have nothing to do with B-Westerns and the Silver Screen so beloved by those who can't distinguish from the 'reel' Old West and the 'real' Old West.

They've been there for decades and decades, yet there are still folks out there who need spoon-feeding and someone else to provide them with answers to their questions - all of which could be answered simply by using the 'search' function.

Serious questions are answered seriously, but it helps when the asking party has done some of their own research first, instead of seeking a consensus or pulling it out of their Fourth Point of Contact after watching 'TVLand'.

There are a lot of trolls of varying stripes - their questions are frequently weighted/designed for an audience reaction and not for illumination - and there are tell-tale signs of this when you're looking.

Scouts Out!

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 09:22:29 PM »
It's funny, but there are these buildings called 'Public Libraries' out there that are crammed with books - even books on Cowboys and Indians, and their lives that oddly enough have nothing to do with B-Westerns and the Silver Screen so beloved by those who can't distinguish from the 'reel' Old West and the 'real' Old West.

They've been there for decades and decades, yet there are still folks out there who need spoon-feeding and someone else to provide them with answers to their questions - all of which could be answered simply by using the 'search' function.

Serious questions are answered seriously, but it helps when the asking party has done some of their own research first, instead of seeking a consensus or pulling it out of their Fourth Point of Contact after watching 'TVLand'.

There are a lot of trolls of varying stripes - their questions are frequently weighted/designed for an audience reaction and not for illumination - and there are tell-tale signs of this when you're looking.

Scouts Out!

Really? Why didn't tell that to the fella that posted this: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,56988.msg684760.html#msg684760...rather than "spoon feed" him, as you put it?

All he needed to do was use the Search function here and he would've found a nauseating plethora of posts regarding tombstone, Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday and all things OK Corral. Then he could've been instructed to hit the public library before bothering anyone here with his questions.

Here's a suggestion for you: If you're not interested in the subject, no need to make your presence known, just shuffle on along.

CHT

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 10:09:44 PM »
If you can't see the differences in the tone of those posts, be sure to never administrate a group of any kind, you can't read people very well.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 12:09:30 AM »
If you can't see the differences in the tone of those posts, be sure to never administrate a group of any kind, you can't read people very well.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind should I ever get the urge to spend endless hours sitting at a computer, such as you appear to do. And FWIW, you don't read people, you make baseless presumptions.
  Same advice goes out to you: If you're not interested in the subject, run along and play elsewhere.

CHT

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 02:26:13 AM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 09:32:08 AM »
  Thanks, I'll keep that in mind should I ever get the urge to spend endless hours sitting at a computer, such as you appear to do. And FWIW, you don't read people, you make baseless presumptions.
  Same advice goes out to you: If you're not interested in the subject, run along and play elsewhere.

CHT

LOL, talk about calling the kettle black. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 09:32:41 AM »
And digging up old bones.   ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 06:40:19 PM »
Wow! This thread needs a whole case of Snickers bars! :o
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544