Author Topic: High Quality M1876 Camapaign Hat on ebay!  (Read 5159 times)

Offline FTrooper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
High Quality M1876 Camapaign Hat on ebay!
« on: November 27, 2011, 12:15:17 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1880-campaign-hat-burgess-original-repo-/130607697170?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e68d34d12

Found this while doing my daily search.  It a high quality F. Burgess, proper vents and folded brim!  Just seems to be dusty.  If this was a 7 1/4-7 3/8 I'd be keeping it a secret and bidding my heart out, but I know there is no way to get a 7 1/8 to fit me.

Chris Fischer
F-Troop
Chris Fischer
F-Troop

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: High Quality M1876 Camapaign Hat on ebay!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 05:32:28 AM »
"Mint burgess, 1880's black campaign hat with ventilators both sides. size 7 1/8, has the rolled over and sewn edge brim. used only once for a movie set back in the 90's. "

If it was only used once in a movie, he would be well advised to brush that puppy off before taking the pictures.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 07:21:31 AM »
"Mint burgess, 1880's black campaign hat with ventilators both sides. size 7 1/8, has the rolled over and sewn edge brim. used only once for a movie set back in the 90's. "

If it was only used once in a movie, he would be well advised to brush that puppy off before taking the pictures.

Maybe he figures the authentic movie dust will make it sell better!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:02:48 PM »

Offline FTrooper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 01:16:42 PM »
Agreed.  Looks like it was sitting on a head on a shelf for many many years.  Would need to be cleaned and re-blocked.  Still a great VERY hard to find item!

Chris Fischer
F-Troop
Chris Fischer
F-Troop

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 03:24:17 PM »
I don't know, I think I like the looks of your '72 better  :) ...And where did you get your '72 blouse?
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »

a point  ;D  used once for movie.... that just might mean , 12 hour days,  60-72 hour weeks, 5-10 weeks or more....
That's why warerobe has backup's on backup's

kinda " driven by a little old lady on Sunday go to meeting "   ;D

Frank did make a great hat.... but he sold out in the early 90's,  the quality was still there after that for several years
they were 100% wool

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 06:36:24 AM »
My point was that he is basically advertizing it as practically new, yet he doesnt take the time to clean it up a bit so it will show as  "practically new".  Not a great merchandiser I guess.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 08:28:55 AM »
exactly.... used once   ::)

but with "that" once comes much milage ...yes ....  ;D

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline FTrooper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
My 1872 blouse
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 04:20:35 PM »
Jerry,

This was made by Joe Blunt (dba as Carter & Jasper).  Joe was the guy who bought out the 19th Century patterns and materials from Covais (New Columbia) back in the day.  This included all the IWP stuff and the 1872 blouse.  Several of us bugged Joe for years to make them and he finally caved.  But before construction began, he went to the Smithsonian and fingered their originals so that all the details (including the three hidden pockets in the pleats) were all exact!

I will warn those out there, these things are NOT cheap.  Joe caters to the "authentic/progressive/hardcore/campaigner crowd, but the quality does show!  Also these things take about three times as much flannel as an 1857 or 1874 sack coat.  I Know of two other people out there who will make them, but again they tend to be museum quality and not cheap.  I have not seen them in person, though they look good in the pics I saw.

I purchased mine for several reasons.  1.  I like to have the stuff no one else has.  2.  For the stuff I do educationally it was the most appropriate garment.  I have the after action reports of 1872 gear from the Red River War in the Texas Panhandle from 1874 (most significant Indian War in Texas History, larger than the Sioux War of '76, and successful).  These documents specifically note the use of the 1872 clothing and gear on the campaign and their successes and failures.  In addition, as more recent scholarly research shows, more than half the troops in the 1876 Sioux War (including the 7th Cavalry) were still wearing their '72 stuff.  Most of the remains found at LBH had 9 large eagle buttons down their chest.  This is either the M1872 blouse, or M1858 frockcoats modified into jackets (also a common item at the time).  Some of the 7th Infantry were still wearing them at the time of the Nez Perce War of 1877 and the Battle of the Bog Hole.  So for the cost, it was an overall good purchase due to its flexibility.

Chris Fischer
F-Troop
Chris Fischer
Chris Fischer
F-Troop

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: My 1872 blouse
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 10:52:41 AM »
...I will warn those out there, these things are NOT cheap.

Yep and even the ones of lesser quality aren't either. That's the thing that's held me back from having one. I knew by reputation that your's would be a good one. That's why I asked. I think you hang with some of the guys I used to run with....the GMMCS.

Do you have any recomendations for '74 shirts? Mine shrank ;)...or maybe I grew :'( ::)
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline FTrooper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 11:34:22 AM »
Yes Jerry,

I have started hanging with the GMMCS, but they have been on a hiatus for a couple years to be honest as the main people all seem to be going through life events.  One of those is Mike Vice who just moved to San Antonio to work at the AMEDD museum.  TO be honest he and I are looking at starting a side business to offer some Indian Wars period stuff on limited production (ever since F. Burgess, Ordnance Park, and O'Dea & Co. all folded up shop, and or died, there hasn't been any good sources for IWP stuff).  I do have a guy in California making decent 1876 prairie belts and great 1874 haversacks!

You are correct, even the "lesser" quality '72 were pricey and the main company doing them stopped again.  To be honest, the one I have from Joe Blunt was better (especially to pattern, materials, and details) and was CHEAPER!!!  The mainstream suppliers are upping their prices (mostly due to wool costs) and now are as expensive as the high end quality stuff!!!

As for shirts, try and find Joe Blunt.  Again he is doing business as Carter and Jasper, but the website was down last time I checked.  He is kind of taking over fro the GMMCS as their clothing guy.  He and the members had Charlie Childs make a custom run of the PROPER mixed grey cassimere that the shirts were made out of.  It is very different than the grey flannel the other companies offer.

I am also working with a guy in FL. who does good work and VERY good prices.  He will machine sew stuff that Joe hand sews, thus it may not be as tailored or fit a modern frame as well, but its much more affordable.  He and Joe are buddies and Joe helped him get started and shared patterns.  His name is Dan Giannini and does business as www.quartermasterdepot.com (do a google search for "quartermasterdepot.com" as his main page seems to dead end.

I also keep in touch with Jerry Greene and Doug McChristian.

Hopefullly soon I will have my reproduction M1872 valise!  Talk about weird stuff you never see! ;-)

Chris Fischer
F-Troop
Chris Fischer
F-Troop

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com