Author Topic: Open Top question  (Read 4389 times)

Offline Texas John Critter

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Open Top question
« on: December 27, 2005, 07:06:43 PM »
I have a very good friend that is looking for either a 72 or a 60 conversion in .45 Colt.  I checked Cimarrons site and didn't see them listed in either.  Is this something thats offered or was at one time?  He told me that he saw them in .45 Colt in an ad or something.  Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.  My friend is very sick so anything I can do to lift his spirits is a good thing.

One more thing, does anybody know why the Navy griped 72 in .45 S&W is not available in 4 3/4"?  I'm just curious before I buy a longer one and chop it down.
He any good?
He's killed more people than smallpox!
Well hell, introduce us.

Offline Big Hext

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Open Top question
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 04:43:16 PM »
Howdy TJC,

Sorry to be so long getting to your post..
As for the 4 3/4 inch barrel.. I guess they don't know nobody wants any..  Get that fancy hacksaw going.

Now, to the 45 Colt... it has been available now and then, but not widely available.  I have a pair of the Schofield Opentops and I investigated the prospect.  The OT cylinder is the same length as the standard 45LC Model P.  I know a few folks that have hade the cylinder bored to fit the 45, but haven't gotten to handle the finished product.  So.. if you're up to a little shopping and smithing.. they can be had.

Adios,

Thank you for being you.. Annie Lee!

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 05:52:33 PM »
Thanks Hext,
I am going to go see him on monday and see if I can find out where he saw them listed.  I was going to look into opening the chambers up if possible.  I know that his .45 Colt loads are very mild because I loaded his first ones for him for his ROA conversion cylinder.  It wont cost much to rent the reamer if I have to.
He any good?
Well hell, introduce us.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:32:59 PM »

Offline Nine Toe Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 678, SAWWS, WARTHOG, GOFWG, GAF
    • ninetoejim
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 08:41:23 AM »
Hey Texas, I bought a 72 opentop army grip last summer. I could only get it in 45 S&W and was a little hesitant in buying it. Before it arrived I trimmed 100 45 colt down to schofield size and loaded them up. When the 72 arrived I headed for the range and was amazed at he grouping. I have an Uberti thunderer in 4 3/4 and an Uberti Cattleman in 5 1/2. Both are in 45 colt. I tried the Schofield load in those with the same results. I have since ordered some 45 Schofield brass and I'm considering sticking with the shorter rounds in all the pistols. ;D

Old Age and Treachery Will Overcome Youth and Skill
WARTHOG, SASS 678, GOFWG, GAF, Quigley Shooter

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 05:04:11 PM »
I had spoken with Cimarron about 6 months ago about the 45 Colt.  I guess they worked ok, but they discontinued the idea because of some "concerns."  I am guessing they were alright with BP or Black Hills, but I think they were afraid of someone putter a core-bon in them.  I though of reaming my 45 Schofield Open Top, but then sold it and switched to .44 R-M to go with a 44 No.3 Russian.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 05:28:54 PM »
He decided to just order one in .38 because he loads that as well.  It's on back order with Cimarron, I hope it gets here soon.
He any good?
Well hell, introduce us.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com