Author Topic: Pulling Bullets from dud 56/50 brass.  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Pulling Bullets from dud 56/50 brass.
« on: January 10, 2006, 01:35:39 PM »
Alright.  I know y'all gona laugh at me, but this isn't funny.  I loaded up 50 rounds of 56/50 Spencer rounds using Starline brass and Winchester Large Rifle Primers and 777 powder.  All but 2 fired as planned.  Now I have two loaded rounds with dud primers and none of my kinetic bullet pullers accept the .50 cal case.  Any sugestions short of drilling a hole in the nose of the bullet and screwing an eye into it and using a steel pin and the reloading press to try to pull a crimped bullet out of the case?
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

klw

Re: Pulling Bullets from dud 56/50 brass.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 01:45:29 PM »
I understand the problem but I never found a solution.  If you do eventually figure it out I'd sure like to know what the solution is.

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 02:12:36 PM »
I use an RCBS kinetic bullet puller that has been modified and used as follows.

With a suitable tapered reamer or sandpaper (or emery cloth) on a tapered wooden dowel, open up the mouth of the bullet puller so that the case will go in until the rim can seat directly on the top of the puller.  I used a large taper pin reamer, you want a very gradual taper not a steep angle.  Do this by hand, not with a power drill, or else too much heat may be generated and possibly melt the plastic.  Put the loaded round in the puller with a collet on top of the case rim and screw the cap down as usual.  If you have various diameter collets be sure and use one where the hole is larger than the primer.

This system works for me for the 56-50, 50-70 and similar sized cartridges and the puller can still be used as normal.

HHW

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:18:22 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 02:28:36 PM »
My RCBS puller works, just remove the metal tapered collet, and let the rim set on the puller body, screwing the end on after, just as normal.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

klw

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 04:19:46 PM »
My RCBS puller works, just remove the metal tapered collet, and let the rim set on the puller body, screwing the end on after, just as normal.

I've tried that but the rims on my cases bent before the bullets came out?!  Can not now remember where I got the brass but the rims were too soft.

Incidentally RCBS now has two collets for their bullet pullers.  The newer one will handle much larger diameter cases.

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 07:28:38 AM »
Thanks guys!  Really appreciate the input.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 08:33:06 AM »
I put the round into my Lee loader with no die in the plate and let the bullet protrude through the die holder.  I grab the bullet with a large pair of pliers and lower the ram to pull the bullet.

Offline Glenn

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 08:49:50 PM »
I've found a pair of waterpump pliers works the best.  Grab the bullet from the front and work it up and down. Too much trouble to try and save the bullet.

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 03:54:30 PM »
Another trick is to use a shell holder in place of the collet.  Put the cartridge in the shell holder, drop it into the inertia puller, and screw down the cap.  I have done this on many cartridges in the past that did not fit the collet.
French Jack

Offline geo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 07:13:52 PM »
grapeshot...i live in cardiff. are you at the apg post? my last name is meyn and i'm in the book. call me if you are interested in talking spencers, black powder shooting, nssa, etc.  geo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com