Author Topic: Moderately Priced British Home Service Helmet Reproduction  (Read 4141 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Moderately Priced British Home Service Helmet Reproduction
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:00:51 PM »
Not sure if anyone here might be interested, but here goes -

If you have ever wanted to acquire a "Home Service Helmet" (in either Royal Blue or Rifle Green) but have been put off by the prices - which range around £300/US$500 and up - I have just gotten in on a "group buy" which has started on the "British Victorian Military Society"(BVMS) Yahoo Group - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BVMS/conversations/messages

These helmets are cork/pith-bodied, covered with melton cloth in either deep blue or rifle green, in a range of sizes from 56 to 62 cm (7 to 7 3/4).  Base Price per helmet is US$200.00, which includes spike top with cruciform base or ball top with cup (Royal Artillery, Service Corps, etc.), rosettes, gilt chin chain, leather sweat band - but no helmet plate or badge. Shipping is additional.

The chin chain comes gilt by default (since it is very difficult/messy to polish, of course) but all other metal fittings are brass by default with the option to get those in gilt also at an additional $25.00.  There is even the option to get the chin chain in plain brass if you wish.

I have already ordered a blue helmet (with all gilt fittings) and a rifle green helmet (with all brass fittings, because they will need to be blackened anyway.)

The chap running this group buy is a long time re-enactor located in Calgary, Alberta, whom I know personally.  He must order these helmets in batches of ten .... once that many individual orders accumulate he will order from the manufacturer.  I gather he is up to about 7 or 8 for the first order.  I understand that once he is ready to order a batch he will be in contact to confirm orders, then invoice for payment, which is to be made via PayPal/credit card.  Production time will be six weeks from the date a 10-helmet order goes in, then they will be shipped to him in Calgary for trans-shipment to individual purchasers.

Here is a link to the online "order form" - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1IndWhciMUt7bUUTU7BR-2Mq236R8vPyaWq1ey7MDlfc/viewform
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com