Author Topic: 1873 Winchester Carrier issue???? Questions...  (Read 4329 times)

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1873 Winchester Carrier issue???? Questions...
« on: May 03, 2012, 03:16:34 PM »
I have a new Uberti 1873 in 45LC. Totally stock. No short stroke etc.

At last weekends shoot, on the very last stage, as I was opening the action to show an empty chamber at the reloading table, the action wouldn't close.

It dawned on me that the brass carrier was not dropping down and therefore was obstructing the bolt from going forward.

The dropping of the carrier appears to be a purely mechanical function. No springs force it down. A lever activated by the actual lever pushes it down.

My question...... Has anyone else ever experienced this?

And if the weight of the carrier is part of the system to make it drop, do the lightweight aluminum carriers get "caught" as they don't have as much weight to drop down?

Thanks
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: 1873 Winchester Carrier issue???? Questions...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 05:30:31 PM »
You posted this question over on the SASS wire.  As noted there, a stock 73 does not have what is known as "positive slam down."  The carrier does rely on spring pressure to return to its fully seated position.  The biggest cause is usually powder fowling.

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 07:44:39 PM »
I just took it all apart and had at it with my Cratex and India Stones. I got it operating smooth as glass. I wanted to wait until I had about 500 rounds through it so the initial "wear in" would show where the issues were.

I though these rifles had some type of "slam down" but I was mistaken. The bar spring on the right side of the rifle does add a little downward pressure, but only to hold the carrier down. It doesn't add much to the "slam down"

Thanks for the help!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:53:41 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com