Author Topic: approved/disapproved list  (Read 8291 times)

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
approved/disapproved list
« on: February 14, 2012, 07:42:27 PM »
Revolvers:  Any original or reproduction produced 1836-1865 i.e. Colt Patterson, Walker, Dragoon, Navy and Pocket Pistols.  Remington Army, Navy, New Army, and New Navy.  S&W #1 or #1 ½.  Reproduction Confederate brass framed Navy’s of 36 cal only.  Pepper Boxes as long as they conform to the basic style of original production.

Since the Rogers & Spencer was produced in the 1836-1865 time frame why is it on the disapproved list?

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: approved/disapproved list
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 08:00:19 PM »
Howdy, John:

I just pulled this information off the Internet, but I know it's been covered before on other forums. In a nutshell, the Rogers and Spencer wasn't released until after our 1840-1865 time frame.

Best,
Caleb

The Rogers & Spencer Percussion Revolver was originally manufactured in Willowvale, NY about 1863-65. In January 1865, the United States government contracted with Rogers & Spencer for 5,000 of the solid frame pistols. Delivery on the contract was made too late for war service, and the entire lot was sold as scrap to Francis Bannerman and Son in 1901. Bannerman then sold the pistols throughout the first quarter of the 20th Century. Many original Rogers & Spencer revolvers are seen today in excellent, near mint condition.

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:04:58 PM »
Perhaps, but it was "produced" during the time frame, perhaps you should reword your criteria as to revolvers.  Perhaps "common usage" would be better.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:03:26 AM »

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 09:11:49 AM »
The 5000 Rogers and Spencer Revolvers were ordered by the Govt.  They were delievered in late 1865 and put into storage, where they sat until Bannerman's bought them about 1900 and sold them to the general public.   
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 09:54:09 AM »

Didn't Lyman make a hawken style, May have called it the Plains Rifle, that is a pretty close repro? don't have one but I know some who do. Not really clear if it is approved or not.  ??
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 10:18:56 AM »
Trap:
The Lyman Great Plains Rifle has a close enough resemblance to a period Plains Rifle that it is approved.
T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline wolflobo76

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Just scoutin around
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 11:40:07 PM »
Just received my Plains Rifle  and pistol from Lyman today. Both are .54 cal . The Plains Rifle seems to have the rugged looks and style of the times. So does the Pistol. They make a good pair, just like my Walker Colt  and Spencer Carbine.The rifle came with 2 different rear sights, A buckhorn and a primitive .

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 08:02:26 PM »
How about a Cabela's Powder River Rifle? It looks similar to a CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle...
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 11:45:48 PM »
Drayton:

I couldn't find a photo anywhere of a Powder River rifle. Cabela's had a Missouri River Hawkens on their site. Is that the one you're talking about? If not, could you furnish either a photo or a link to a photo? Thanks!

Caleb

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 07:12:40 AM »
It was only available for a couple of years. Sorry about the pic quality, I have a much better camera now. I also have an old Cook and Brother Carbine which should work as well.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 07:16:21 AM »
I also have a highly modified CVA Kentucky...

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »
I can't see the Kentucky rifle well enough to make a call, but I'd say the Powder River rifle is fine. The Cook and Brothers carbine should be fine, too, unless some Civil War buff (which I'm not) knows a reason it shouldn't be included.

Drayton, are you going to make it up to Kansas this year for the Plainsmen encampment and shoot?

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 09:15:36 AM »
Howdy, John:

I just pulled this information off the Internet, but I know it's been covered before on other forums. In a nutshell, the Rogers and Spencer wasn't released until after our 1840-1865 time frame.

Best,
Caleb

The Rogers & Spencer Percussion Revolver was originally manufactured in Willowvale, NY about 1863-65. In January 1865, the United States government contracted with Rogers & Spencer for 5,000 of the solid frame pistols. Delivery on the contract was made too late for war service, and the entire lot was sold as scrap to Francis Bannerman and Son in 1901. Bannerman then sold the pistols throughout the first quarter of the 20th Century. Many original Rogers & Spencer revolvers are seen today in excellent, near mint condition.

Caleb, I am confused by this call ... Your quote from the net says that the R&S was in production from 1863 so it would fit the time period.  The Government then ordered some in 1865 that did not arrive in time for the war. Did Rogers & Spencer not sell any between 1863 and 1865?
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Durango Flinthart

• Top Active Citizen
  • Forty miles a day on beans and hay...
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 10:49:42 AM »
The U.S. Ordnance Dept. bought the entire contract run of R&S revolvers, none were scheduled to go to the civilian market. R&S could not fill the order until late in the war so weapons were never issued and the  complete run of revolvers stayed in ordnance stores until sold to Bannerman's in 1901. This is why when original R&S revolvers are encountered today most are in very good shape.

Watch your topknot  
When the cambrian measures were forming they promised purpetual peace. They swore if we gave up our weapons the wars of the tribes, they would cease, but when we disarmed they enslaved us and delivered us bound to our foe and the Gods of the copybook headings said, "Stick to the devil you know." Kipling

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 10:50:23 AM »
Correct. My understanding is that they began manufacturing the revolver in 1863, delivered them to the Union in 1865, where, because of the war's end, they were placed in storage until until the turn of the century.

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 10:52:16 AM »
I must have posted this just as Durango posted his response -- and did a much better job explaining the situation. Thanks, Durango.

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 07:46:27 PM »
Thanks Durango and Caleb, now I am not so confused ... at least on issue of life.  ;D
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 01:28:32 AM »
I can't see the Kentucky rifle well enough to make a call, but I'd say the Powder River rifle is fine. The Cook and Brothers carbine should be fine, too, unless some Civil War buff (which I'm not) knows a reason it shouldn't be included.

Drayton, are you going to make it up to Kansas this year for the Plainsmen encampment and shoot?
Wish I could, but, no, I won't be able to. I'll try to get a better pic of the Kentucky

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com