Author Topic: Waaaay OT: Futons  (Read 23065 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Waaaay OT: Futons
« on: April 15, 2009, 05:47:07 PM »
Even though I spent several years in Asia, I have never spent a night on a futon.  Now we're looking for something for a spare / guest bedroom and she's come up with the notion that a futon is better than a fold away sofa bed.  I may agree, because I can't see it being much worse.

I need some real use input.

Thanks.

BTW, this will be in a Japanese-themed room with out collection of "stuff".
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
Re: Waaaay OT: Futons
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 05:56:46 PM »
Do you like to walk funny in the morning?  Do you care fer restless nights?

We're selling one at an upcoming yard sale, my balief is that they are fer starving college students only.  Even tried on of the super heavy matresses an it still aint good fer folks who have the occasional aches an pains.

My dos centavos.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1164
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:26:59 PM »
Ah my Dear Forty Rod ....

The futon can be folded up and stuffed in a closet. If one is strong and can manage it's amazing cumbersomeness.

Other than it's historical accuracy for Japan, That about sums up all of it's positive points.

I do believe the good Mister Tanner summed it up.

Please feel free to relate to your Missus, I have had them in the past, and if I was given the choice I would choose a single blanket on sand over a futon. 

However, a long time ago I learned that you do not bring problems to your boss, without having some solutions in hand.
My recommendation is to run down to your local Bistro K-Mar or Boutique Targe and get yourself one or more of those delightful heavy duty self contained inflatable beds. We bought 2 twins for the guest room ,which is a sewing / craft room the rest of the time. The ones going for $50-$75 each are well made and very comfortable. Several of our friends use one full time. All our guests have raved about them. When we went to buy  new mattresses, we slept on the inflatables with a 2 inch foam pad on top for about a week or two and they were really great!  Those fancy "sleep number" beds are basically inflatable mattresses inside a foam frame.

When deflated, they fold up in a space about the size of a xerox box.

The next time I go to a rondy, I will definitely take one and cover it with quilts, hides, trade blankets, whatever.

They are infinitely better than a sofa bed, will hide in the closet better than a futon ,and thus will not clash with the tatami, shoji, tansu or haru.

Good luck on your redecorating endevour
yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:16:21 PM »

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:59:41 PM »
The Professor has a point about those inflatables.  My wife has a bad spine and a bad hip.  We use one for camping and as long as you remeber to keep it pumped up bafore bed time it's great.  The electric pumps they sell for them are cheap and are set up to not only inflate, but deflate as well.  If my baloved can get a good nights sleep on one then it passes the test.  You can even get them in queen size, which out does most futons in that respect alone.  They also make a great "floating island" out at the lake if you have kids to entertain.   

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:30:16 PM »
If you get one and I come to visit, would ya be offeneded if I brought my bedroll to use? ;)

BTW one night when I was really sick, in pain and takin' a lot of codene, I watched this movie late one night early on morning, when it was either that or infomercials. ::)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105836/usercomments

Wouldn't recomend going out an buying it, not much of a plot and not really much skin.   ::)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 10:35:07 PM »
Well alrighty then.

'Nother trains done jumped the tracks. ::)

Roland Deschain

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 10:50:28 PM »
Well alrighty then.

'Nother trains done jumped the tracks. ::)

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 02:00:43 AM »
Them Futons are definitely for young folks without back problems. Those bunks in the Barracks at the Muster are for folks without back problems. I put an extra mattress on mine and It still wasn't enough.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 06:31:53 AM »
Them Futons are definitely for young folks without back problems. Those bunks in the Barracks at the Muster are for folks without back problems. I put an extra mattress on mine and It still wasn't enough.

Hey, I'm old and don't really have back problems, but I'll take those bunks any day over a futon. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 09:34:31 AM »
I hope that we have some extra mattresses up there this year.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Jamie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 03:27:32 PM »
I've got back problems, and futons and fold-a-beds are both real joy killers.  I have to agree on the inflatables - but keep little (or big) dogs with sharp claws off them or you'll be replacing them regularly...  As for comfort, they are THE way to go in a quick bed.
Jamie

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 05:35:25 PM »
Wife andI have used a Select Comfort bed for about 7 years now and bought a second one for the first guest room.  Might just go with a third one to use for this room.

Thanks for the input.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 09:00:07 PM »
Sorry we couldn't help make yer vision seem viable.  It's just the practicality of the dern things...it's nil.  I'm a function before form guy, others are the opposite.  I have had several discussions with my beautiful wife over this difference when it comes to decor.

Roland Deschain

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 10:24:20 PM »
One thought though nobody has mentioned yet, it ain't Forty Rod gonna sleep on it and if I go visit I'm takin' my bedroll. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 04:19:27 AM »
Del it seems like Forty iz concerned with having guests enjoy their stay, if they sleep onna futon n get all crippled up they might not come back!
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 10:29:41 AM »
Del it seems like Forty iz concerned with having guests enjoy their stay, if they sleep onna futon n get all crippled up they might not come back!

But sometimes that's not a bad idea. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 10:44:20 AM »
Sleepin' on one of those Futon's would make me wanna leave too.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 11:53:38 AM »
Maybe he should get both and hide the good bed when unwanted guests show up. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 12:01:41 PM »
Well maybe the solution is right in front of us.  Get the jap style futon an put an air matress on it when guests arrive.  Skip buyin the floppy awkward matress an throw pillows on it fer day use an looks.  They'd be easier ta toss aside come nightfall.

Roland Deschain

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 05:42:18 PM »

Hadn't thought of that.  Might buy one after all.  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com