Author Topic: Insignia - Questions?  (Read 20550 times)

Offline Big Jim Dandy

• Boss Lady's Gun Bearer
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Boss Lady's Personal Creations!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Insignia - Questions?
« on: March 19, 2008, 11:32:18 AM »
I plan to purchase the following items:

Medal
Hat badge
Collar Tabs
Belt buckle

However, I have some questions regarding the above:

GAF Medal: I want mine engraved on the back. Should I use my real name or my SASS Name/Badge No?
My uniform has a double row of buttons, so the medal should be placed .5in to the right of the row. This officer
also served in the Civil War & the Indian Wars. In what order should these medals be placed beside the GAF Medal?
Hat Badge-I wear an Officer's Slouch Hat, U.S. Union Black - Where does the badge go? I certainly don't want to pin if over the crossed sabers emblem!
Belt buckle - I'm sure iI read that one is available, but I can't find it! My current buckle is the US M1874 Belt Buckle Assembly.

Look forward to some assistance on the above. ;D ;D
Big Jim Dandy SASS#2548LTG
Boss Lady's Gunbearer!

GAF#571
Honoring a Canadian at the Little Bighorn;
William Winer Cooke - First Lieutenant of Cavalry
7th. United States Cavalry Regiment - July 31st., 1867
Brevet ranks; Captain, Major, Lieutenant-Colonel.
First Lietenant with the 24th. New York Volunteer Cavalry Regiment - Civil War - Mustered out June 25th, 1865.
Regimental Adjt. - Seventh Cavalry - December 8, 1866 - February 21, 1867 / January 1st, 1871 - June 25, 1876.
Killed in action with the Sioux Indians near the Little Bighorn, Montana, June 25th. 1876.
Born: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

BOSS#148
GOFWG#68
SBSS#1242
CORRS#107
WaxBunch#16

Offline Eagle Eyes Jefferson

• Chaplain for Department of the Atlantic
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Insignia - Questions?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 11:46:06 AM »
Big Jim,

1.  As far as engraving on the back side of the medal, either should be acceptable, use whichever name you like.

2.  I will defer on this one as to other medal placement to others here that are more knowledgeable.

3.  The hat badge/pin goes in the place of the crossed sabers, see Col. Pitspitr's avatar, he's wearing his on the hat.

4.  The belt buckle is available through Trailrider GAF#23. He is listed under the links section on the home page for the GAF.

Hope this helps.

Eagle Eyes Jefferson
Eagle Eyes Jefferson
Chaplain for Department of the Atlantic
GAF #478
Department of the Atlantic
BOLD #893

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 01:52:54 PM »
GAF medal placement from GAF webpage.

For a Uniform with a single row of buttons, the Medal should be placed 2.5" TO THE WEARER'S LEFT of the third button, while for a Uniform with a double row of buttons, the Medal should be placed 0.5" TO THE WEARER'S RIGHT of the third button. If a Soldier will wear the GAF Medal with other medals, it is suggested the GAF Medal be placed in its assigned spot and the other medals attached to the right of the GAF Medal, as it is viewed from the front. For appearances sake, the total medal count should be held to no more than three medals overall...

Dusty

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:39:20 AM »

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 01:56:22 AM »
Big Jim Dandy,

I beleive the Indian Wars Medal and the Civil War Medal were both brought out in 1905 which would be a bit late for the time frame we are portraying.  Most of the Medals that are seen on the soldiers in the 1880 1890 time frame are shooting metals or a GAR medal.  Hope this helps.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Big Jim Dandy

• Boss Lady's Gun Bearer
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 06:19:40 AM »
Thanks for all the help.

Old Top;

Would the medals have been awarded only to the surviving soldiers, or would the families, of everyone who served,
received them in 1905? He did serve in both campaigns & it would be nice to wear them, pointing the facts as they are.
I've already bought them. ::) ::)
Boss Lady's Gunbearer!

GAF#571
First Lietenant with the 24th. New York Volunteer Cavalry Regiment - Civil War - Mustered out June 25th, 1865.
Regimental Adjt. - Seventh Cavalry - December 8, 1866 - February 21, 1867 / January 1st, 1871 - June 25, 1876.
Killed in action with the Sioux Indians near the Little Bighorn, Montana, June 25th. 1876.

BOSS#148
GOFWG#68
SBSS#1242
CORRS#107
WaxBunch#16

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 09:47:11 AM »
Big Jim Dandy, sir.

I think you're WELCOME to wear the CW and IW medals, but they are a bit late for our timeframe.  Big Jim, I think I can safely say that you WON'T be drummed out of the GAF or your sword/saber broken if you wear them, however!  :D

I'm not 100% sure, but I THINK those medals had to be purchased - or at least requested through channels; they weren't simply issued.  I may be confusing these with the GAR medals, however.

When I get my GAF medal, I think I'll have it engraved with my given name and GAF member number.  For placement, to follow the guidelines of the Military, they would be in order of date and precedence.  All things being equal, the first award would be closest to the heart, and so on.  (In your case - starting at the .5" from the third button and continuing to the wearer's right, GAF - CW - IW.)  There is no REAL wrong, in this case.  ;) ;)

Respectfully,
Your O'bdt. Servant,
Bvt. Lt.Col. J.C. Bailey - "Steel Horse Bailey" GAF #98
Commander, Central District, Dept. of the Atlantic, GAF
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 10:09:50 AM »
St. George's Notes IV - Medals...
« on: July 04, 2004, 04:14:18 PM »     

A large number of folks are portraying Military men as well as Veterans of the Civil War, the Indian Wars and
frequently both.
There are even those who portray members of the 1st Volunteer Cavalry - TR's "Rough Riders" - though there
certainly seem to be far more "portrayers' than there were "originals" of that organization...

This brings up a point that needs to be made when creating your Impression.

The Wearing of Military Medals...

In essence - you don't get to wear any.

The Army of the pre-1900 time frame had the "Certificate of Merit" - a paper document given solely
to Enlisted men and established in 1847, during the War with Mexico and issued until 1905.
The "Medal of Honor" - not the "Congressional Medal of Honor", by the way - was the country's first metallic
decoration.

Originally created for the Navy on December 21, 1861, the Army followed with its variant six months later,
on July 12, 1862.

Though differing in design and created by two separate Acts of Congress, Army and Navy Medals of Honor are
usually referred to as "Medal of Honor" as if they were one decoration.

And this brings up another distinction - there are "Service Medals" and there are "Decorations".

"Service Medals" would be awarded for Campaign Participation, while a "Decoration" would be awarded
for a specific act.

Going back - there are two Army Medals of Honor that could possibly be worn by your impression - the
1862-1896 design, with a "flag-styled ribbon" and the 1896-1904 design with a striped ribbon - the
difference being the ribbon syle.

After the mass distribution of these medals during the Civil War a Board was held to determine their validity
of issue and many were rejected.

More on that if it's warranted...

Read "A Shower of Stars" for an insight.

The various Campaign medals - while "neat" and attractive and more important - available - weren't
authorized until well after the turn of the Century.

Army
Civil War Campaign - Authorized 11 JAN 05
Indian Campaign - Authorized 11 JAN 05
Spanish Campaign - Authorized 11 JAN 05
Spanish War Service - Authorized 9 JUL 18
Army of Cuban Occupation - Authorized 28 JUN 15
Army of Puerto Rican Occupation - Authorized 28 JUN 15
Philippine Campaign - Authorized 11 JAN 05
Philippine Congressional - Authorized 29 JUN 06

Navy and Marines
Civil War Campaign - Authorized 27 JUN 08
Spanish Campaign - Authorized 27 JUN 08
Philippine Campaign - Authorized 27 JUN 08
China Relief - Authorized 27 JUN 08(service from 1900 - 1901)

Now this isn't to say that you can't wear something on your uniform - because there are guys out there right
now looking at studio portraits of be-uniformed men, bedecked with all manner of finery, and they're
getting all worked up.

Slow down, Trooper...

The finery that you see are "Society Medals" - those medals that one would buy (and once in a great while,
earn) from the Military Society or Veteran's organization that they happened to belong to later in life.

A lot of those photos are of GAR men.

There were all manner of Veteran's Badges available - from the "Ladder Badge" depicting on bars clasped
together by rings - the Company, the numeric designator, the State and the type of unit - "Co. F" - "2d" - "Iowa" - "Vol Cav" - complete with a miniature of a Corps Badge suspended below, or maybe a bullion tassle.

Or perhaps a "Shield" - with the veteran's name above on the scroll and his unit-specific information suspended below.

There could be the traditional "GAR" badge or a more impressive one if you portray an Officer in that organization and as time went on almost every old vet got that chance, as the membership died off.

Then, there would be badges from the "Society Armies" - "The Society Army of the Tennessee" or of the "Cumberland" or "Potomac", or maybe the "Union Veteran's League", and even the "Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States" - an organization of ex-Union officers.

The South had the "United Confederate Veterans" - not as well-developed an organization as the GAR, but surely as powerful in Southern States.

For more - including pictures - see my articles in "North-South Trader's Civil War"- Vol XXII, No. 5, September-October 1995

These were all politically strong veteran's organizations - the fore-runners of our present American Legion and VFW and DAV, and membership was encouraged.

This was also a time of wide-spread Lodge membership and those had their badges that show up in photographs as well.

The point is - when developing your impression of a Military man or of a Veteran, you can do plenty to enhance it without resorting to temptation.

There are large numbers of original GAR/UCV items available that can be used in a lapel or on a watch fob.

There's even a flask that you can find once in awhile and it adds to your "look", and a lot of men carried (and enjoyed) a touch of the creature...

St. George's Notes V... The Issuing of Medals...
« on: July 07, 2004, 03:27:36 PM »     

In my earlier Notes - I talked about Medals in general, and gave issuance dates.

Here's a little more on the history and idiosyncracies of that process.

Most all of the Campaign and Service Medals cited came about long after a serving soldier had ended his military career, yet he was eligible for one and surely deserved one - so how to get it?

Well, let me tell you...

If the servicemember was by some chance still on Active Duty - and some were - the specific medal was requested through channels, using his Service Record Book as proof, and issued at an appropriate ceremony.

These medals were numbered on their rim (12345) (later-issue - No.12345) and were Government-issued
items.

But what about the guy who'd retired or merely got out?

Simple - if he wanted one - he could buy one.

Upon presenting his proof of service to the Philadelphia Mint (often, he did this through the good offices of the Post Office) - he could apply to purchase a mint-struck medal no different from the issued item, save for the rim numbering that now featured the marking "MNo." - for "Mint Number" - thus, his medal would read MNo. 12345.

The issue medals can be researched, but for the most part, the Mint-numbered one's can't, so it's important that you look for any and all other documentation when buying one.

And as to that - they're faked and have been since the '30's, so beware and know your seller.

GAR medals aare numbered as well - indicating an "official" badge, made from captured Confederate cannon.

It used to be an "inspectable item" at a GAR meeting when one of the ranking officers came to call, because the Veteran could buy an un-numbered one a little cheaper from an unlicensed vendor, and they frowned on doing that.

The Government continued to produce those early Campaign and Service Medals until late WWII - for the last surviving vets and for their families.

I've got a Civil War Campaign Medal - boxed - that's from a 40's Contract.

Alas - none are left, having been disposed of in the late '60's.

If a family wants some tangible memento from the Government, they'll get a Certificate - nothing more.

A side note.

During the early stages of WWI as senior men were landing in France, the French thought that there were a number of "Legion d Honneur" recipients amongst the newly-arriving Americans.

The French decoration features a Red ribbon, with Red edges - just like our Indian War Medal ribbon did...

We added two Black vertical stripes to our medal to avoid embarrassment and confusion, but if you happen to ever see a Government-issue, Indian Campaign medal with an all-Red ribbon - look reverently - it's one of the earliest ones...

If you do happen to want to see one - coupled with a Spanish Campaign with a Silver Gallantry Star on its first-pattern ribbon as well, and numbered to B Company's First Sergeant of the 10th Cavalry - more and more, it looks like a display's in order.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 01:19:29 PM »
Big Jim Dandy,

I think that St. George has just sumed up my limited knowledge, and did it a lot better then I could do.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 08:56:07 AM »
there are two Army Medals of Honor that could possibly be worn by your impression - the
1862-1896 design, with a "flag-styled ribbon" and the 1896-1904 design with a striped ribbon

St.G,
I have a question that I was hoping you could answer. I have heard that it is illegal to buy or sell replicas of the Medal of Honor, even obsolete ones. Do you know for certain if this is true or not?
P.S. I just re-read this question and realized that I should clarify That I have no desire to purchase one myself. The only medals I will wear are my own; My GAF medal and my SUVCW medal.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 09:12:45 AM »
Big Jim,
I've had a uniform made that I can wear when I represent the GAF. On it next to my GAF medals I also wear my SUVCW membership medal to honor my ancestors who served during the Civil War. You can see it below. The large neck ribbon is a Cornhusker State Games medal I won the day the photo was taken. I'm in the process of having a dress uniform made and when it's completed the medals and insigia will reside on it full time.

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 09:36:53 AM »
You ask an interesting question.

Here's part of the answer...

In 1923 legislation was enacted to prohibit the unauthorized manufacture of medals awarded by the military services.  

Additional legislation since then has taken steps to further protect the awards presented to our military heroes, and the Medal of Honor in particular.  

It is illegal to sell, wear, or manufacture any decorations or medals authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States.

In General.

- Whoever knowingly wears, manufactures, or sells any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces, or the ribbon, button, or rosette of any such badge, decoration or medal, or any colorable imitation thereof, except when authorized under regulations made pursuant to law, shall be fined under this title (18 United State Code) or imprisoned not more than six months or both.

Title 18 United States Code. Sec. 1001, entitled "Statements or entries generally," June 25, 1948, ch. 45, 62 Stat. 749.

This doesn't say that a real Medal of Honor can't be owned - it just can't be mis-represented.

There are hundreds and hundreds of 'legitimate' Medals out there - made by the Mint - and those should be marked 'For Exhibition Purposes Only' on the reverse - in lieu of the inscription to the recipient.

Alas - there are more fakes - including a large number of modern versions that went to the Defense Reutilization Management Office sales program in the form of component parts, and were purchased by a dealer in the KC area - re-assembled, properly boxed (boxes supplied by the original manufacturer) and sold, with more than a few being 'named'.

Then - there are the ones sold by their recipients to collectors and replaced (Citation and all) after being declared as 'lost'.

Some guys did it a couple of times, and there's a Korean War Marine who did it 5 times, so I guess he's the high-scorer...

They did take steps to stop 'that' sort of behavior - but only recently, and I think the recipient/seller has to show proof of loss.

Then - there are the 'Studley' fakes of the 1930's.

George Studley was a supplier of excellent-quality strikes - intended as replacement or 'spare' medals for the service member.

The Medal of Honor and all the early Campaign medals were among his offerings - and their quality was/is high.

Those are the most likely candidates to be turned into a 'real' medal - and you have to know the collecting field backwards and forwards to avoid being stung.

That's because the unscrupulous dealers are still out there - albeit it's a new generation of them.

As with anything original - be it accouterments, firearms or other period items - 'provenance' is the key.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 11:02:31 PM »
I have a question that I was hoping you could answer. I have heard that it is illegal to buy or sell replicas of the Medal of Honor, even obsolete ones. Do you know for certain if this is true or not?
P.S. I just re-read this question and realized that I should clarify That I have no desire to purchase one myself. The only medals I will wear are my own; My GAF medal and my SUVCW medal.
Remember back when you could easily buy a copy of the Civil War MoH? I still wonder why you can't get one of those, as it's not likely ANYONE would think you won it on the Andres Raid or something!  ::)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 11:40:29 PM »
It has more to do with honor of the deed and of the soldier - and protecting that honor - than with anything else.

Wearing one while doing an Impression of a specific individual who'd won the Medal as a part of a historical reenactment is one thing.

Wearing it because one can buy one is another.

Though the Silver Screen shows many unusual things - it doesn't show the wear of then-non-existent Awards and Decorations.

The two times I've noted the wear of the Medal were by John Wayne and Ward Bond - and their characters had won them during their Civil War service.

You 'can' still buy a copy of the Medal - but folks don't differentiate between styles, and to the average individual - the design of the Medal of Honor is an unchanged design.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Big Jim Dandy

• Boss Lady's Gun Bearer
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 07:49:02 AM »
Well this has certainly been enlightening to say the least & now leads me to the following additional questions: :)

1. Hat badge. I do not wish to alter my officers slouch hat, as it is a faithful reporduction of the original. So, is there another official style of hat that this officer could have worn, that the badge could be placed on. Two hats are better then one. ;D

2. Belt buckle - again my belt & buckle are period correct. So instead, I'm thinking of getting a Sword & ordering the appropriate GAF buckle & Sword belt from Trailrider. He is sending me his catalogue. I need advise as to the proper type sword this officer would have carried on parade & in the field, as my uniform is not fancy dress.  8) 8)
Boss Lady's Gunbearer!

GAF#571

BOSS#148
GOFWG#68
SBSS#1242
CORRS#107
WaxBunch#16

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 11:41:29 AM »
I plan to purchase the following items:

Medal
Hat badge
Collar Tabs
Belt buckle

However, I have some questions regarding the above:

GAF Medal: I want mine engraved on the back. Should I use my real name or my SASS Name/Badge No?
My uniform has a double row of buttons, so the medal should be placed .5in to the right of the row. This officer
also served in the Civil War & the Indian Wars. In what order should these medals be placed beside the GAF Medal?
Hat Badge-I wear an Officer's Slouch Hat, U.S. Union Black - Where does the badge go? I certainly don't want to pin if over the crossed sabers emblem!
Belt buckle - I'm sure iI read that one is available, but I can't find it! My current buckle is the US M1874 Belt Buckle Assembly.

Look forward to some assistance on the above. ;D ;D

Big Jim,

You can have whatever you want engraved on the back of the GAF Medal.  Its your medal, have it say what you want.

While the GAF webpage provides guidance as to wear your medal, I'm more of the opinion that it should be placed somewhere on the left breast where you would like it - just as can be seen in photos of veterans.  Those who prefer to wear a British or other non-US type uniform may have a different set of uniform regulations to guide them by, but by and large, most US veterans wore their medals in a non-uniform manner so I see no reason why we, who emulate those who came before us, shouldn't do the same.

We had a discussion on medals not long ago and you can probably find it if you do a search.  Basically speaking, at GAF events you can wear medals appropriate for your selected time period, or those that you earned in the GAF (Star of Merit, Commander's Citation, or shooting medals won at a Muster).  However, as St George has pointed out, the CW and IW campaign medals did not come out until the early 20th century so if you're portraying someone prior to then, you wouldn't really want to wear them.  I can tell you that if you participate in the uniform competition, wearing of non-period medals will cost you.  GAF policy is that we do NOT wear medals of valor of any kind.  We would make an exception of any GAF member who had been awarded the Medal of Honor (Victoria Cross, etc) and wanted to wear a period reproduction, but if you didn't earn it, don't wear it.   

Medals should properly be worn with the dress (or undress) uniform at social occasions (banquets, balls, dances, parties, etc) and not on the shooting line (non-US forces might do so, but if you're protraying US military it wouldn't be worn).  If you want to show your GAF membership on the line, we have the GAF hat wreaths, collar tabs and belt plate that can be worn in lieu of the similar regulation items.  For example, you could wear the GAF beltplate instead of the 1851 or 1874 plate. 

The wearing of a GAF medal, hat wreath, collar tab, or belt plate will not penalize you in a GAF uniform competition.  I can't speak for how SASS, NCOWS, NSSA, or a reenactment group may view such items, but they are totally acceptable at any GAF function.

As for your other questions:
1. Get a second hat.  Wear one to shoot in, and one to parade in.
2. Get a second belt.  Trailrider makes good belts - I own one or two myself. 
3. Sword - depends on your corps (branch) and time period.  Cavalry, infantry, artillery and staff wore different pattern swords, as did officers and enlisted men. 

GAF policy is to permit each individual to assemble a uniform that is appropriate to their chosen persona.  Consequently, what is the correct hat, belt, etc, will all be based on what you choose to protray.  Some folks like to wear a uniform that approximates what they did on active military service; others put one together that fits a persona they have created from within their imagination.  Just because you don't own a cannon doesn't mean you can't be an artilleryman if you want, or just because you never served a day in uniform, or never got beyond private, doesn't mean you can't be a sergeant or a captain if you want.  However, what we do expect is that you will wear said uniform with pride and respect for those who wore it before you.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 10:22:02 PM »
While the GAF webpage provides guidance as to wear your medal, I'm more of the opinion that it should be placed somewhere on the left breast where you GAF policy is that we do NOT wear medals of valor of any kind.  We would make an exception of any GAF member who had been awarded the Medal of Honor (Victoria Cross, etc) and wanted to wear a period reproduction, but if you didn't earn it, don't wear it.
Good point. I saw a kid at a WW2 re-enactment years ago who was a dead ringer for Audie Murphy. The similarity was uncanny. Others thought so as well, and he got a WW2 class A uniform that matched Murphy's at the time he was awarded the MoH. Some collector had a real MoH and put it around his neck for a moment for some photos. You'd have thought the kid had just loaded a magazine of live ammo right there from the reaction it got. I'm surprised it wasn't ripped off his neck. It did NOT go over well at all! There are some things that you can't use the "we're just honoring the past" argument and win. This is one of them.
GAF policy is to permit each individual to assemble a uniform that is appropriate to their chosen persona.  Consequently, what is the correct hat, belt, etc, will all be based on what you choose to portray.  Some folks like to wear a uniform that approximates what they did on active military service; others put one together that fits a persona they have created from within their imagination.  Just because you don't own a cannon doesn't mean you can't be an artilleryman if you want, or just because you never served a day in uniform, or never got beyond private, doesn't mean you can't be a sergeant or a captain if you want.  However, what we do expect is that you will wear said uniform with pride and respect for those who wore it before you.
Amen to that! I was active duty Army but I have never had any issues against those who have never served wearing the same uniforms (heck, we're ALL playing the role as nobody alive today was in the Army prior to 1900), just as long as they don't act like they deserve the respect that comes with the rank they just bought, though…

Offline Big Jim Dandy

• Boss Lady's Gun Bearer
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 08:48:09 AM »
US Scout;

Thanks very much for your informative input. As you can see from my new avatar, Boss Lady really put together an extremely well made uniform & I plan not to change it in anyway. That being said, I'm planning on giving it a different look by doing the following:

1. M1872 U.S. Forage Cap ( Kepi) with GAF Hat badge
2. GAF Medal
3. M1860 Officers Light Cavalry Sabre - With appropriate Sabre Belt + GAF Belt buckle from Trailrider.
4. GAF Collar Tabs to go along with all the above

As I own a C. Sharps Arms Custom Model 1875 Target Rifle & a Browning Centennial Model 1886 Lever Action, both in .45/70, plus
a brace of Uberti - S&W Model No. 3 Russian's, in .44 Russian, I will be shooting for the Marksman Medal, to wear on my uniform.

The Civil War & Indian War medals will only be worn to non-GAF functions, so that I can explain that this officer served in both campaigns, but could not have worn the medals because of their issue date of 1905.

Respectfully
Boss Lady's Gunbearer!

GAF#571

BOSS#148
GOFWG#68
SBSS#1242
CORRS#107
WaxBunch#16

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 10:01:56 AM »
Great picture, Big Jim!  You and your lovely bride look great together!  Did I understand you that SHE made the outfit you're wearing ... and probably hers?  WOW!

Sounds like you're well on the way to fashion heaven.  Your list of things to get is enviable.  I should LOOK so good!  ;)

If I may, let me suggest that officer's saber be gotten from Andy at Fall Creek Suttlery.    They have a good price, and since they are about 30 minutes from my home, I've seen the swords first-hand, and they're quite good for the money.  As I recall, they ARE made in India, but the deluxe version (the one I recommend) has pretty correct "Ames" markings, and NOT India marked.

The 5th one down and sword knot near the bottom of the "page."

http://www.fcsutler.com/fcswordsabers.asp

I have the $65 "budget" model - unmarked, except for India - and it is outstanding (- considering.)  (It has been "defarbed" as much as possible, now)  Of course, the standard model (top one) is very nice and correctly marked, but is plain with no officer's markings.

Adios!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Big Jim Dandy

• Boss Lady's Gun Bearer
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 08:44:07 AM »
Sir;

Boss Lady truly appreciates your comments & yes, she made her gown. 8) In fact, she makes all her period clothing, including a bustle, which is really fun, for me, to lace up & tie for her! ;D She is a very accomplished seamstress, her main hobby, and has quite a reputation on the Belle Alley, The Carolina Belles website. She is presently making me 3 new shirts & in the past has made vests, & an enlisted man's Union Jacket & pants for my shooting buddy. She also shoots, a brace of Cattlemen's 5.5 in .44/40's,
a Little Big Horn '94, with an action job & tang sight, & a S x S 20 ga. with mule ears! I'm one of the luckiest men in my club, as my wife participates fully in our hobby! :)  8) She has, on her good days, been seen to outshoot me. ;D ;D

Thanks for the referral on the sword. I've checked out 2 other sources, one where the price is $30.00 lower, the other where it's $35.00 higher. However both their scabbards seem to be made of polished steel only.

If the Fall Creak picture of the scabbard, showing that it is made of steel changing into a brass coating at the bottom, is truly accurate, then I would be inclined to order from them. If so, then I'll send my order in within 2 weeks. I'm refering to the $195.00 model.

Presently I'm dealing with Trailrider concerning the proper belt & Boss Lady :-* will be interpreting his instructions this week-end & taking all the necessary measurements, for me to place my order.

Just sold a rifle for $500.00, so I get to re-invest it immediately! I've got Horseshoes!! :D :D :D
Boss Lady's Gunbearer!

GAF#571

BOSS#148
GOFWG#68
SBSS#1242
CORRS#107
WaxBunch#16

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 09:24:07 AM »
Sir;

Boss Lady truly appreciates your comments & yes, she made her gown. 8) In fact, she makes all her period clothing, including a bustle, which is really fun, for me, to lace up & tie for her! ;D She is a very accomplished seamstress, her main hobby, and has quite a reputation on the Belle Alley, The Carolina Belles website. She is presently making me 3 new shirts & in the past has made vests, & an enlisted man's Union Jacket & pants for my shooting buddy. She also shoots, a brace of Cattlemen's 5.5 in .44/40's,
a Little Big Horn '94, with an action job & tang sight, & a S x S 20 ga. with mule ears! I'm one of the luckiest men in my club, as my wife participates fully in our hobby! :)  8) She has, on her good days, been seen to outshoot me. ;D ;D

Thanks for the referral on the sword. I've checked out 2 other sources, one where the price is $30.00 lower, the other where it's $35.00 higher. However both their scabbards seem to be made of polished steel only.

If the Fall Creak picture of the scabbard, showing that it is made of steel changing into a brass coating at the bottom, is truly accurate, then I would be inclined to order from them. If so, then I'll send my order in within 2 weeks. I'm refering to the $195.00 model.

Presently I'm dealing with Trailrider concerning the proper belt & Boss Lady :-* will be interpreting his instructions this week-end & taking all the necessary measurements, for me to place my order.

Just sold a rifle for $500.00, so I get to re-invest it immediately! I've got Horseshoes!! :D :D :D

From what I remember, it is not just brass finish (on the drag and attachment bands) but actual brass welded on.  But I didn't scratch it to check if it was simply brass plated or solid.  ;)  It's a good look, that's for sure.  I WISH my enlisted version was authentic with the same.

Trailrider will do you right!

I WISH my wife were interested in this "game."  She's a pretty good shooter, but dressin' up is ... well, not her!  And being in need of an Indian Wars era enlisted sack coat/trowsers as well as something appropriate to my "rank" in GAF, I wish she were a seamstress, too!  Other than that, she's perfect ... for me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com