Author Topic: Several lube stories rolled into one  (Read 1982 times)

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Several lube stories rolled into one
« on: December 10, 2011, 03:49:20 PM »
I went out to my shed to get some .45 bullets that I cast and lubed a while back.

FWIW, "classic paraffin/sheep's tallow/beeswax bullet lube" is highly sought after in my neighborhood by mice.

This time, they not only ate about a pound of bullet lube, they also ate the lube off the lubed bullets as well.

So, I had to mix up a new batch of lube.

Those of you that have been caught mixing up lube by the "significant other" know that they seem to be generally offended by the smell of it. This time, to a 25 ounce batch of lube I added 1/2 ounce of Citronella Java. Citronella Java is the stuff that they mix with Kerosene to make Citronella lamp oil.

I also added a blue concentrated dye pellet that I bought from a candle making supply place on ebay.  The pellet made it look "pretty blue".

When the stuff cooled, I brought a can of it into the house and thrust it in front of you know who. The reaction was "It doesn't smell bad like it usually does". Touchdown for me. There isn't enough added to it to smell like anything , but enough to cancel out the tallow stench. 

Candle supply places carry all sorts of scents. I used Citronella Java because I buy it in 6.6# drums to make anti-bug citronella lamp oil rather that buy it in the stores for 5x the price. Other smells are available of course.

Anyway, when I got done it all went into a 50 cal ammo box this time. The mice chew through cardboard and plastic. Lets see how well they do with mil-spec sheet steel.

Rick

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Several lube stories rolled into one
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 07:06:47 PM »
Mil-spec sheet steel!

If those critters eat 'thru THAT, I'd let 'em have it and leave 'em alone!  Tangling with something that can gnaw into a .50 cal. ammo box could be real bad for your health.

Great stories, Rick.  You must make really good quality lube, Brother.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com