Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 776319 times)

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #1980 on: October 05, 2012, 03:00:09 AM »
Whap!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #1981 on: October 19, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
Somehow, I don't think one of those aluminum bats would do as good as a good old ash bat.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1982 on: October 19, 2012, 02:07:28 PM »
Somehow, I don't think one of those aluminum bats would do as good as a good old ash bat.

Yep - but it'd STILL hurt like the devil!

And it'd make a weird sound, too!  Gareth & Sam [Samantha] (my Son & youngest Daughter) both have custom bats their friends got them for a birthday present.  It's a cool tour that you can do when in Louisville.  Go to the Louisville Slugger factory - and if you get there at the right time you can even go to the top of the giant bat that stands at the front of the factory entrance.

:D

Or not ...
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #1983 on: Today at 12:42:21 PM »

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1983 on: October 19, 2012, 07:10:33 PM »
This one isn’t about aircraft per se. I thought it a good but saddening read.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/10/carrier-enterprise-makes-sentimental-journey
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1984 on: October 19, 2012, 07:24:25 PM »
One of my best memories is getting to board that carrier and tour it.  Now I'm takin ma own sentimental journey, thank Arcey. 
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1985 on: October 20, 2012, 07:10:59 AM »
Sad, but that's how they end up.Her predecessor should have been saved.According to the book I had on her, some of her scrapped steel ended up in another form in the new one. Well done, Enterprise! :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1986 on: October 21, 2012, 04:08:09 PM »
I got to tour the Lexington at Corpus Christi several years ago. It is a WW2 Essex class carrier. I would like to tour the Big E before she is dismantled.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1987 on: October 21, 2012, 04:47:30 PM »
Went I was on her she was still carrying Corsair II jets.  I have to look into what became of them.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1988 on: October 21, 2012, 05:11:17 PM »
Leo, They built those jets in Grand Prairie, as well as the WW2 Corsairs.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1989 on: October 21, 2012, 09:41:39 PM »
The Navy retired them a few years back.  The USAF also flew them while I was in but has retired all (or most) after I got out in '92.

The F7 Corsair II looked remarkably like the F8 Crusader, which is also known as "The Last Gunfighter," because it was the LAST fighter built with guns (20mm cannons) as its' planned primary weapons.  Few F8s in Viet Nam SHOT down any Migs; most were taken with missiles, even on F8s.  That too has been retired from Naval service for years.  I don't think that the USAF ever flew F8s.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1990 on: October 21, 2012, 10:46:52 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Seeing those planes at 8 years old I fell in love just like ma Dad did with the original Corsair when he was young.

Roland Deschain

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1991 on: October 21, 2012, 11:17:50 PM »
Boy-oh-boy, I'm with ya there, Leo!

To this day, the planes my Dad liked are still (for the most part) MY favorites!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1992 on: October 22, 2012, 07:31:55 AM »
Leo, SHB and my self love old airplanes as well as CAS shooting. I guess we inherited from our Dad's as well. I am able to carry on my love of Warbirds by being a member of the CAF.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1993 on: October 22, 2012, 10:30:35 AM »
Leo, SHB and my self love old airplanes as well as CAS shooting. I guess we inherited from our Dad's as well. I am able to carry on my love of Warbirds by being a member of the CAF.

I wish I were closer to the CAF, 'specially one of the primary locations!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1994 on: October 22, 2012, 04:42:48 PM »
I am lucky that I live near several of the CAF wings and I am able to see lots of Warbirds around here.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1995 on: October 22, 2012, 05:56:19 PM »
VERY lucky!

I am lucky enough to live within 5 miles of the Mount Comfort airstrip.  Once a year there is a big fly-in (big around here) and we see many of the planes and I especially like it when the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds are practicing.  During their show, they occasionally fly near to my house and I get a good look, but most of their routines are further North of here.  When we moved here in 1996 the main part of their turn-arounds were right over my house & pool, but since the neighborhoods have grown and expanded, they moved the majority of their flight plans over less-populated areas.  We still see them, but now they're 6-7 miles away, rather than 500-1000 feet over my house!  The same was for the Warbirds - I used to get GREAT close-up views of their undersides, but now it's only the occasional flight going in to or away from the airport.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1996 on: October 22, 2012, 09:45:43 PM »
SHB, I live in D/FW's flight path, so I don't get to see the T-Birds or Blue Angels, unless I go to the AirShows.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #1997 on: October 23, 2012, 07:03:58 AM »
The Navy retired them a few years back.  The USAF also flew them while I was in but has retired all (or most) after I got out in '92.

The F7 Corsair II looked remarkably like the F8 Crusader, which is also known as "The Last Gunfighter," because it was the LAST fighter built with guns (20mm cannons) as its' planned primary weapons.  Few F8s in Viet Nam SHOT down any Migs; most were taken with missiles, even on F8s.  That too has been retired from Naval service for years.  I don't think that the USAF ever flew F8s.

Onlyiest one I seen were Navy or Marines.   Funny in town the Corsair was honored.    I was only there on a an official capacity I mind you. ::)

Mathew 5.9

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1998 on: October 23, 2012, 11:16:34 AM »

Onlyiest one I seen were Navy or Marines.   Funny in town the Corsair was honored.    I was only there on a an official capacity I mind you. ::)

Right.

;D

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1999 on: October 23, 2012, 12:32:12 PM »
They are still building planes here for the military. I think they are still building C-17 transports here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com