Author Topic: 45 long colt Hunting Ammo  (Read 18904 times)

Offline Devil Anse Hatfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
45 long colt Hunting Ammo
« on: November 22, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »
Looking for a factory load for deer hunting with SAA Import.
Deer season is next week  and I want to use my single action this year.
No time to reload .  What would be my best choice?
Thanks
Devil

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: 45 long colt Hunting Ammo
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 05:38:28 PM »
Probably as good as any would be the Remington or Winchester factory ammo, not the watered down CAS stuff. Or if you could find some federal marketed a 225 gr hollowpoint lead bullet and at one time speer offered some "lawman" ammo that was loaded stout.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 06:39:16 AM »
Ranch 13 has some good advice about the WInchester or Remington stuff. 

Too bad the time is so short for you, reloading is a good way to get great ammo.  I prefer black powder and 260 grain cast bullets but do not know a factory that makes them.
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:12:32 AM »

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 10:47:18 AM »
I had a bad failure with WW Silvertips. I can tell you from my experience that Silvertips are not what you want to soot a deer sized animal with.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 06:14:08 AM »
What gun will they be shot from?

If it's a good, strong action or a Ruger, Cor-Bon makes some hunting bullets.  One uses a 265 grain bullet!  It's a thumper! 

http://www.shopcorbon.com/CORBON-Hunter/45-Colt-Plus-P-265gr-CORBON-Hunter-BCHP/HT45C265BHP-20/300/Product

You might also consider Hornady's Lever Revolution ammo.  It's geared to hunting and also safe for using a Lever-Action rifle - it has a new shape & make-up for the bullet.  It's listed as a handgun ammo, but the tip makes it safe in ammo tubes.  And it can be fired from any gun, not JUST the Ruger or TC guns like the Cor-bon

My pard Dave "Jed Cooper" just got back from a hunting trip where he used this bullet.  Successfully, I must add.

;)

http://www.hornady.com/store/searchammo.php?mode=search&main_cat=249&categoryid%5B%5D=257&categoryid%5B%5D=357&categoryid%5B%5D=365&x=40&y=10
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:12:03 PM »
It will be shot from a Beretta Stampede  4 1/2
I got some of the Hornady Lever Rev. About a dollar a round. Was hard to find to say the least.
Its been raining  cats and dogs . I sat still the first day only to be skunked, nothing moving.
Day two  still raining done some slow walking. checked every inch of 130 ac.   not a deer to be found.

Offline Steel Dinger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 11:45:41 PM »
 I Have a box of Corbon  45 Colt Magnum +P 300gr jacketed soft point That Iuse in my Ruger Bisley 5 1/2. Very effective on live animals that will soon become Dinner. Spendie bullet to purchase. good hunting to ya. 

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 07:09:12 AM »
I Have a box of Corbon  45 Colt Magnum +P 300gr jacketed soft point That Iuse in my Ruger Bisley 5 1/2. Very effective on live animals that will soon become Dinner. Spendie bullet to purchase. good hunting to ya. 

Are those loads suitable for a Model P? 

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 07:57:08 AM »

Are those loads suitable for a Model P? 

@StrawHat, no.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »
Straw Hat, Howdy!

I don't know about the NEW boxes of that Cor-Bon ammo, but when they first came out, they said right on the box that they were for use in Ruger, TC Contender, and other modern large-frame guns ONLY!  NOT for use in old SAAs or modern reproductions of the Old West era guns.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 05:33:59 AM »
Looking for a factory load for deer hunting with SAA Import... Devil

This is why I asked.  The OP is using a SAA so why give him a load that won't work?

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 05:46:08 AM »
I have to wonder if a non plus P bullet coming out of a short 4.5 inch SAA will have enough terminal  velocity to do the trick on on deer unless that deer is say at the range of most pistol targets.  I am no hunter, but I would certainly be using enough gun and enough bullet to make a clean kill.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 08:58:42 AM »
Deadeye, I guess you'ld have to describe "use enough gun"
 The 45 colt had a reputation of being able to unhorse hostiles at 300 yds back in the day.
 If you've ever read anything by Elmer Keith or Brian Pierce about the cartridge.
If you have used the cartridge you would find out quick why it has lasted since 1873.

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 06:09:57 PM »
Trust me, the .45Colt is ample + for whitetail. Now it ain't a 500yd machine like maybe a 7mm Rem Mag..but for a woods rifle, I'd as soon have it as any moderate range rifle. We've ate many a venison meal provide by my '73 in .45Colt. And in a rifle I wasn't 'as' concerned about stressing, I could make it even a tad more lethal.

Deadwood

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 05:42:39 AM »
With the 45 long Colt, from a 5 1/2" barrel, proper blackpowder loads with a 260 grain bullet will penetrate a white tailed deer at any range under 100 yards.  Handgun hunting involves learning the gun and load and not trying shots out of the capabilities of hte gun or the hunter.  I use paper plates for targets and if I can not keep all my shots on the plate, it is too far away.  I also do not shoot at a range but on property where I can post the plates randomly and walk up on them from various angles.  This causes me to estimate range and holdover.  After a while of using the same revolver and load, it becomes instinct and the maximum range is easily determined.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 07:37:36 PM »
Trust me, the .45Colt is ample + for whitetail. Now it ain't a 500yd machine like maybe a 7mm Rem Mag..but for a woods rifle, I'd as soon have it as any moderate range rifle. We've ate many a venison meal provide by my '73 in .45Colt. And in a rifle I wasn't 'as' concerned about stressing, I could make it even a tad more lethal.

Deadwood

I wasn't questioning a 45 colt round out of a rifle, but out of a 4.5 barrel revolver.  I have no doubt that out of a 73 rifle it would more than adequate for getting the job done.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 10:08:32 AM »
Don
My range  or planned range for Killing a deer with the 45 was about 25 yards. Any farther out than that  I  felt chance of wounding  deer was greater.
However I dont get to pick what gun I want to deer hunt with. ODNR makes the rules. 38 and larger straight walled only ,  longer than 4 inch barrel.
No rifle hunting unless its muzzle loader,  shoot gun only

Offline Beauregard Hooligan

• CAS-L Moderator
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Cas City Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 06:06:04 AM »
Deadeye, I guess you'ld have to describe "use enough gun"
 The 45 colt had a reputation of being able to unhorse hostiles at 300 yds back in the day.
 If you've ever read anything by Elmer Keith or Brian Pierce about the cartridge.
If you have used the cartridge you would find out quick why it has lasted since 1873.
I knew Elmer. He had a sizable box in the closet of his den that held a double dozen or so Colt Peacemakers, New Frontiers and S&W Triple Locks that were blown to hell. Elmer was big on heavy bullets moving fast, and "use enough gun" would have fit his philosophy well. But, he also learned the hard way that you need a strong enough gun as well. For my worthless opinion, don't shoot .45 Colt +P, whether it's Cor-Bon, Hornady, Buffalo Bore or whomever in Colt 1873s, or the clones. Safe isn't just one way, it's the only way, as far as I'm concerned; but then I don't have an eye or a trigger finger to spare. ;D
My Cas City Profile: http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/beauhooligan/
SASS Life * NMLRA * NRA Life * Deputy of CAS-L * River City Regulators * Mother Lode Shootist Society * Murietta Posse, WASA #56.
Stockton, Ca.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 08:43:52 AM »
Strange but there have been many more other people claimed to know Elmer that said he blew up very few guns......

Nonetheless, actual experience with the 45 colt says that it's more than enough gun for deer....

Offline Beauregard Hooligan

• CAS-L Moderator
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Cas City Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 07:27:25 PM »
Strange but there have been many more other people claimed to know Elmer that said he blew up very few guns......

Nonetheless, actual experience with the 45 colt says that it's more than enough gun for deer....

I did not say that Elmer had blown all of those guns up personally. Most had been trashed by the members of the group known as the ".44 Associates". One pistol he handed me was an almost mint Colt New Service in .44 Special, the only one I have ever seen previously or since, and I would sacrifice a testicle to have if it had not lost it's top strap, three cylinders and had the barrel tilted down at about 15 degrees. "Phil Sharpe did that," he said.

Yes, .45 Colt is enough for deer, if you get close enough and can place the bullet precisely. If you hit it away from point of aim, expect a long search for a blood trail, and if you're lucky, it won't have died in the next county. I shot a mule deer in heavy manzanita at about 50 yards with my 5 1/2" Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in .45 Colt, and put it right in the boiler room. I sat down and waited a half hour, then found him dead in a thicket less than 25 yards from where I shot him. But, the load I was using, stiff shot of H-110 and a Sierra jacketed SP,  would blow a Peacemaker to Kingdom Come.  ;)
My Cas City Profile: http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/beauhooligan/
SASS Life * NMLRA * NRA Life * Deputy of CAS-L * River City Regulators * Mother Lode Shootist Society * Murietta Posse, WASA #56.
Stockton, Ca.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com