Author Topic: Reloading  (Read 3841 times)

Offline Dead Eye Dave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reloading
« on: January 08, 2008, 04:10:18 PM »
How does one get started reloading or loading your own ammo?  Are there books that you would recommend or should I work with someone?  What are your ideas? 

Thanks ahead of time

DB

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Reloading
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 04:28:26 PM »
Any of the manuals put out by reloading component mfrs would be a good place to start.  Aside from loading data, they all include sections on reloading equipment, where to start and what to do.  Plus it's always a good idea to have at least 2 different manuals on hand as loading data can vary a wee bit.

Some of the companies that put out manuals are Lyman, Lee, Hornady, Speer and a host of others.  They should all be available at your local gun store.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 06:32:47 PM »
I started with "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee. He has a Second Edition out now. I haven't blown myself up yet. I've been reloading fer about 10 years now.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:50:54 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 06:55:22 PM »
Dean Grenell's ABC's of Handloading, it has been in several editions, a good read and never boring. 

One thing to always remember, minimul and maximum loads in manuals are there for a reason.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Sky Soldier

• Very Active Citizen
    • The Green Bee Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 08:01:34 PM »
Hello DB.
Let me start by saying that the 3 previous replies contain good information which you should note well.
I started in 1969 with a $10. Lee hand loader (they're about $15. now from Cabellas). It's the one that uses a plastic mallet instead of a press to perform the various steps in reloading. It will teach you the basics of reloading without thinning your wallet. Then if you enjoy the time spent you can buy all the things that make reloading time more efficient.
I now reload 2 rifle, 4 pistol and 4 shotgun calibers (or gauges) and have 4 different presses plus a lot of the items that make reloading quicker.
The net is a great venue for gathering free info for re-loaders as all of the component manufacturers have reloading recipes that are tested and safe for your firearms.
Give it a go, I don't think you'll be sorry.
3/319 173rd Airborne Bde.(Sep)   May '66 - May '67

If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 04:29:31 PM »
Howdy Dead Eye, I just start reloading myself last year, so maybe I can give a newbies point of view. First get a couple of good manuals, I got Lee's and Lyman's. After reading the manuals it became clear to me this is not as complicated as I had thought. Plus I read everthing I could here at CAS City, on Open Range and the other reloading forums. I decided to start with the Lee Classic Turret Press, mainly because of price, ease of operation, limited space, and that it could also be used as a single stage press. I will get a Dillon 650 later for my main match ammo, but I'm glad I got the Lee first to learn the basics and will continue to use it for years to come. The main thing is to follow the manuals to the letter and have no distractions during a reloading session. It would be helpfull to find a local pard to show you the basics, then you could decide if you wanted a single stage, turret, or progressive. I only wish I had started sooner. Here is where I started, good luck.

Jefro,   Relax-Enjoy

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products/reloading/completerelo/KempfKit.html (Pro Auto-Disk Measure with shut-off upgrade)
http://www.nationalbullet.com/pdf/2002CowboyManual.pdf

sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com