Author Topic: Do you Remember The First Time you Pulled a Trigger  (Read 9422 times)

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Do you Remember The First Time you Pulled a Trigger
« on: August 20, 2008, 10:03:58 AM »
Can't remember the first time, Grandpa always said I was 2 when he broke me to the sound of guns shooting and pulliing the trigger,  I can remember being 4 or 5 and he'd bring out his 22  short  Remington, rifle, lay it across the arms of  a metal  lawn chair he had and let me shoot away, couldn't fit the stock so I'd just lean into the sights and pull the trigger.  he'd buy them 22 shorts by the wooden case and let me shoot all I wanted,  no telling how many boxes we went through.  ;D
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline piebiter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Do you Remember The First Time you Pulled a Trigger
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 10:32:49 AM »
My first pull was my grandpa's .22 Remington single shot rifle which I now own. I can't recall just how old I was at the time. He took me up on the side of the hill behind his house and showed me how.  :)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 431
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 10:55:36 AM »
My memory too was a Remington 22 LR bolt action, I still have it.
I guess about 4 or 5 , my Dad, sister and myself plinked many acan and bottle.
The location was just behind the house on Key Largo, that area is now a subdivision but 55 years ago
it was hardwood & mangrove woods.
We had an old shot warn H&R 22 LR model 999 revolver as well, that gun was given away by my Dad , but I bought him a New one in the mid 70's , I have that one too  :D
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:30:37 AM »

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 02:16:48 PM »
Yeah…
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 06:38:58 PM »
i was 7or 8 dad took me down to the range i sat down at the table & aimed dads 12ga double hammer head with 32 " barrels full choke both sides we were shooting 3" mags #4 well i pulled the rear trigger & both barrels went of knocking me out of the stool the gun went under my arm pit & stopped when it contacted dads groin as he was standing very close behind me.i was 16 before we got the trigger fixed you see if you cocked the right trigger first then the left they both would go of but cock left to right all was ok .
cost me $12 to have that fixed in 1975 i dont know why dad never had it fixed before
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline California Lawdawg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 10:39:01 PM »
My first time I was about 8 years old. San Francisco bay in a boat with my Dad and his friend. 12 ga SXS black powder.  :'(Nobody told me that when you pulled the trigger, sometime both barrels would go off.  :oAfter a short bath in the bay I was pulled back into the boat. Took a long time before I would shoot the gun again :-[

Lawdawg who was black and blue for quite a while. >:(

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 12:09:04 PM »
Huh-uh!!
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Kiowa Scratch

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 03:00:46 PM »
Like it was yesterday.   I was 13 and the year was 1957.  M1-Garand at an NRA range with my best friend whose father was a member.  The trick was to reload without getting your thumb whacked by the slide.  It is one of the great memories I have from my youth. 

Offline Digger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 10:01:17 PM »
Hi Y'all,

I think I musta been about 3.  After he shot the calf that fall, my grandfather let me pop off a couple.  I remember I was about as tall as my grandmother's knee.

Digger

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 06:42:00 PM »
Yup, and quite clearly.  I was 2, and of course my father held and aimed the rifle.  He showed me where, and how, to pull the trigger. Together we busted the heck outuva glass jar sitting on the chopping block outside of our back door.  My father brought the rifle back from the European Theatre -- a La Francaise Modele 1921, a single-shot .22 training rifle that looks a lot like the Lebel.

When I turned 10, he gave me the rifle.  I still have it.

Offline jimmyb.1

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 03:51:24 PM »
I was 5 at a family get together.  My Uncle was shooting his .41 Blackhawk at an old license plate leaned up against a small rock.  He asked me if I wanted to shoot his gun.  So I'm standing there holding this heavy pistol with both hands and I squeeze off the first shot and hit the license plate which is only 10' away.  The second shot kicks dirt in front but the third shot is the memorable one.  I pop off the third one and the gun rears up and the hammer nails me square in the middle of the forehead.  My uncle had accidently mixed in a hot load with the light loads.  I'm standing there crying and bleeding so my Uncle says "do you want to go inside and get a bandaid or do you want to shoot some more."  After a couple seconds and some sobs I decided to stay outside and I shot out the rest of the revolver.  I doubt I even came close on those final shots but I had a blast.

Offline Wild Billy Potts

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 08:08:28 PM »
I was about 8 and my uncle took me out and let me shoot his .38 revolver. Was hooked from then on out. I wore out my friends bb gun after that (dad hates guns and wouldn't let me get one). Mom bought me a 12 gauge shotgun soon after their divorce, and I still got that one. I have no clue where my uncles old .38 went, nor do I even know what kind it was, just remember it was black colored. He did give me his old Iver Johnson that is broken, probably why he still had it as he is a habitual barterer.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 476
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 08:10:39 PM »
My Dad once was out hunting and we tagged along. Handed me his 12 ga. to see what it was like to handle. I was maybe 9 or 10.
Knocked me on my ass, bummed up my shoulder, etc.
He basically said that when I felt I was able to handle it again to let him know.
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 708
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 03:28:47 PM »
Well.....I was told I shot before but the first time I remember was with a Double Barrel .410 with the hammers on it. I was about 8 or so and I didnt know that shooting right handed I needed to close my left eye.....I closed the right and was trying to look with the left.....I had my face so far down on the gun that the hammer caught and busted my nose.  :-[   Blood EVERYWHERE.

I shot again once the blood stopped and have been enjoying it ever since.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 04:11:31 PM »
I think I was about 5 or 6. We were at an uncles farm, and my dad had brought along a bring-back .45 1911 that he got after Korea. He and my uncle were shooting, and they let me and my cousin each fire it once. Whoa!!  :o

Never got to shoot it again though. When Mom found out we had fired it she demanded he get rid of it!! [Boy was she mad!] It spent some time at my uncle's house - and then somehow over the years, it "was no more" as the women used to say.........

Offline Jamie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 09:29:21 AM »
My dad was showing me his guns, two of which were Stevens Favorites, one in .25, and one in .32.  Both barrels were sewer pipes, but he told me the the .25 was the first gun that he had shot, and I asked him to take me outside so I could shoot it.  I must have been about 7 or 8.  This was right after he had gone on a starling hunting spree to clean out the birds that were nesting in our house.  About 16 birds or so later, I was really interested.  You couldn't hit a thing with that gun, the bore was so bad, but it made a bang, and I was able to hold it by myself, and there was a hole in the tree, not too far from where I thought I was aiming.  I was ecstatic, my dad was surprised, and I've been shooting ever since.  I have more than once thought about having the barrel lined on that gun and turning it into a productive .22, but can't quite bring myself to it.
Jamie    ;)

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 08:25:47 PM »
I was about 12 years old.  A Boy Scout.  It was a 22 bolt action rifle...  ummm, a Remington, I think.   ;)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 09:46:44 PM »
Yep, a 12 gauge Remington 11-48 when I was 7 years old holding on for dear life with the stock under my arm.  Dad laughed the first time he helped me shoot it, but stopped laughing when I could out shoot him a skeet a few years later.  My first handgun was a 1911-A1 Ithaca in Military School and rifle was 1903 A2 Springfield.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com