Author Topic: Rifle Advice  (Read 3583 times)

Offline jsbcody

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rifle Advice
« on: September 02, 2011, 08:39:52 PM »

Well, I got my pistols now (I picked up 2 tuned used USFA Rodeos from Long Hunter) and now I am looking at rifles. I want to stay in the .357/.38 calibers for now. I am torned between the 1866 Yellowboy and the 1873 rifle (I will probably go through Long Hunter on this too with the action and parts job). I really like the looks of the Yellowboy but I don't know enough about the reliability of it as compared to the 1873. I am not going into to this as a high speed gamer but I do want to compete a little and and have fun a lot. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
Re: Rifle Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 11:10:35 PM »
I can only suggest what I am familiar with and that is the 1866. I have one and shoot .45 through it. It is a great gun and very reliable. If what I've read is correct the gun actually has a steel frame and is covered in brass. So that should give it a lot of strength. If that is the case that is.  ;)

Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 11:07:31 PM »
I have a '66 in .45 cal too, it's all stock and works well. I believe the action is all brass, never heard about steel covered with brass. But it's plenty strong for the calibers it's chambered in.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:46:02 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 08:25:57 AM »
Rick
 if your gun is a Chaparral, then yes it's brass plated.

if it's a Uberti, it's gun metal an alloy of Brass simlar to Bronze cannon forgings.
The weak link in the guns Circa 2001-2006-7 was the loading gate tab...Uberti of late don't seem to have the issue.
I had one made in 1978 in 38 cal. I must have put 1500 + rounds through it, sold in 85 and the new owner still uses it
about twice a month in SASS sytle shoots. Lord knows how many he's shot throught it.
OH BTW it's a SR Carbine...

I have a Henry about the same Frame less the loading gate, up until about Feb, of this year it was my main long gun.
many, many rounds fired ( I also have steel frame Henry )
I'm sure they are different in tensil strenght, but your gun metal 66 will serve you just fine.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 02:37:20 PM »
Major, mine is an Uberti. It came from Cabella's and I bought it second hand at a gun show for $650.00. Never had an issue with it yet. It shoots great. Accurate, dependable, rugged. I couldn't ask for anything more.  :D

I knew I read somewhere that a 66 model was steel with brass over it. Just couldn't remember if it was one model or all of them. Thanks for the clarification.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com