Author Topic: Ground cover on your range? Buffalo Grass or Crown Vetch?  (Read 7231 times)

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Ground cover on your range? Buffalo Grass or Crown Vetch?
« on: January 20, 2012, 12:17:23 AM »
What would you reccommend for side/back berm and range surface grass?  We're looking for something hardy and doesn't grow tall.  I know that some DOR's sow Crown Vetch.

We appreciate any ideas.

Much obliged,
Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ground cover on your range? Buffalo Grass or Crown Vetch?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 06:06:52 AM »
I've got blue grama growing in my yard.  It's tough, drought resistant, & short.

Online Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 07:48:13 AM »
Out here in northern Nevada we tend to use a lot of sand, gravel and occasional rocks.  The wild horses, loose range cattle and lack of rain tends to keep the weed level down. ::) ;D
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:33:44 AM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:04:09 AM »
The crown vetch should be more aggressive once it gets established. It would be my choice for berms etc. I'd go with a low growing grass for flat range surfaces that ya don't want ta be to high. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 10:21:17 AM »
For the berms. some K-31 fescue with some rye as a "cover" crop. Wont be  short butvery hardy when established and will hold the soil well .   Buffalo takes  a while to get going but makesa nice low drought resitant cover.  howeverit willbe dormant and brown through the winter.  Zoyza is even thicker and chokes out every   thing else once it gets going.  it is brown and dead looking through the cold months also.though.   Both Zoyza and Buffalo are usually put in with plugs.  Don't know much aboupt crown vetch.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 12:03:57 PM »
Fairway crested wheatgrass will grow quick and tight ,and survive drought, and not get tall and clumpy like regular crested.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

1961MJS

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 10:27:09 PM »
HI

I put in some hybrid buffalo grass at my house in Wichita Kansas.  It doesn't take traffic too well.  My wife and kids also hated the color.  I also put some out at the range in Whitewater KS, it spreads slowly, but there's no traffic on it there.  Buffalo grass also doesn't get too high. 

Crown Vetch is poisonous to Horses according to Wikipedia.  I would also hesitate to buy it because of the flowers would be distracting.

K-31 is what is planted in my yard in Wichita now because the fescue hybrids only lasted about 2 years before everything but the K-31 died off anyway. 

In the South, Bermuda is great, it grows like a darn weed.

Just my $0.02

Mike
Norman OK

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 05:16:17 PM »
Here in texas we use Pricly Pear Cactus, Tumbleweed, Russian Thisle, and bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrush in the spring.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 10:22:34 AM »
Greetings,

If I do recall the highway departments across the land use crown vetch on the highways for ground cover and erosion control.
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 08:30:11 PM »
M y local Outdoor Commercial Public Shooting Range is bare dirt/sand/gravel due to the lack of rain and cost of Water here in Southern California.
My home 'Lawn' started out as seed about 1956 but is now 'cut weeds' almost entirely.  It does get brown if it is not watered, needs cutting about every two weeks but looks green all year around, just a little 'grayer' when hot and dry before the 'weekly' watering.

My neighbors water their lawn about ever two days and cut it weekly, but they have three boys to help out.
"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com