Author Topic: Question about the .32 WCF / 32-20 cartridge  (Read 9831 times)

Offline Queasy Dillo

• Usual Suspect
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Boiler Plate Rat
    • Steel Carnival
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Question about the .32 WCF / 32-20 cartridge
« on: February 22, 2011, 01:39:37 AM »
Evening all. 

Got a question that I can't seem to answer on my own, so I figured I'd try my luck here.  Not so much a matter of loading, stopping power, or ballistics, but a matter of manufacturing. 

As near as I can tell the production of the 1873 Winchester ended in the early 1920s.  So far so good.  Question is, was production of ammo (specifically the caliber in the thread title) carried on after the fact?  Gut instinct tells me it probably was, but knowing how long it ran on after the fact is something I'd be interested to know. 

Got another story project cooking and I hate leaving gun details to chance. 

Any help appreciated. ;D
"Get it together?  Lady, last time my people got it together we needed most of Robert Lee's backyard to bury the evidence."

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Question about the .32 WCF / 32-20 cartridge
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:28:56 AM »
Winchester and Remington , neither one stopped production of the 32-20 ammunition. They dropped to only one load offering, but it's always been a cataloged item. There are an awful lot of 32-20 Winchester 92 and Marlin 94' still out in the country doing what they've always done.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:51:35 AM »
WAY off the subject but there is a segue ...

A freind gave me a copy of Eric Clapton doing some of Robert Johnson's songs ... in it, ther is a song where the singer brags about the ability of his 32-20.

Since Mr Johnson was recording between 1936 and 1937, I am guessing the loads were around until then ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Johnson_(musician)
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:00:11 PM »

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:47:51 AM »
Another thing to ponder on the 32-20, there were several years it lead production numbers in the Colt modlel P, as well as being chambered by Colt and Smith and Wesson in a number of double action models. It was also a popular round for police work.
 Skeeter Skelton wrote volumes in Shooting Times magazine about the 32-20 right up until his death in the late 1980's.
 No sir the 32-20 like the other 2 wcf cartridges and 45 colt were alive and well since their inseption and were not discovered by the CAS shooting crowd, rather the other way around the CAS shooting crowd found what some of us never forgot or quit using.

Offline Queasy Dillo

• Usual Suspect
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Boiler Plate Rat
    • Steel Carnival
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 04:42:13 PM »
Much appreciated, all. 

Story's in 1931 or thereabout, and the character in question is a dirt farmer's kid with a '73 rifle that's seen more hard road than him.  Good to know he can still come by ammuniition...though I might be back around in a while with questions on the 38/44, depending on how the hunt goes. 

JFB
"Get it together?  Lady, last time my people got it together we needed most of Robert Lee's backyard to bury the evidence."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 05:04:55 PM »
The 32-20 has always been some what popular until recent times as a deer round, now I'm not saying it is a real good one, but good enough for someone who is willing to get close and place their shots well.  The noise level is also very low on it out of a rifle which is an advantage for someone who would rather the whole county not know they were providing meat for their family and the cost per round was far less than a 30-30 or similar rounds. 

I shoot a Ruger SSM single-Six in 32 mag loaded  similar to a fairly stiff 32-20 round with a heavy bullet and what it will do is amazing for those who think of 32 Caliber handguns as nothing but a mouse gun.  I've never shot a deer with it and have no plans to but if I needed meat and stayed with in 75 yards there is no doubt in my mind it would do the job if I needed meat.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »
 ;D Del if you shoot a turkey with one , make sure to take his head off or take him in the back,  :o cuz if you hit him in the breast you best like thighs and drumsticks :D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 05:47:21 PM »
;D Del if you shoot a turkey with one , make sure to take his head off or take him in the back,  :o cuz if you hit him in the breast you best like thighs and drumsticks :D

Yep; although that Lyman 311316 at 1250 fps really don't expand much, but sure penatrats deep.  It sure whoops the poop out of rabbits and such, even does possums real nice, we all know how tough those are.  Doubt I'll ever go back to a 22 for small game.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 06:44:07 PM »
I wish I hadn't of traded my 32-20's off in a moment of stupidity 20 years ago. :-\ But I sure do like the wifes baby vaquero in the h&r, been casting the rcbs 98 swc for it and just can't help but think that would be a grand bullet for the 32wcf.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 06:55:40 PM »
I wish I hadn't of traded my 32-20's off in a moment of stupidity 20 years ago. :-\ But I sure do like the wifes baby vaquero in the h&r, been casting the rcbs 98 swc for it and just can't help but think that would be a grand bullet for the 32wcf.

I'd send you the data I use with the 311316, but with the fixed sights it ain't gonna work, a friend tried it in his and it was no where near poa.

With my 4 1/2 the sights are all the way to the bottom and puts it right on at 50 yards.  Also puts my plinking load right on at 25 so it all ain't bad. I use that Lee bullet that looks like the end of a crayon with it.  Neat bullet but it ain't no game bullet.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 07:03:11 PM »
I'm really liking bludot in that cartridge.
 My neighbor won one of the baby vaqueros in a drawing, and he's been casting his old Ideal 115 gr bullet mould and loading with bludot and doing some messing with Amercan select.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 07:18:26 PM »
I'm really liking bludot in that cartridge.
 My neighbor won one of the baby vaqueros in a drawing, and he's been casting his old Ideal 115 gr bullet mould and loading with bludot and doing some messing with Amercan select.
  Never tried it, the heavy load is with H110.  Years ago I tried a bunch of different powders for factory level loads, they all worked good.  Using Unique right now, got given an 8 pounder that was sealed of the old "dirty" stuff.  Using it right now in the 32 for plinking and the 28 gauge.  Works as good as it ever did, making it burn cleaner in the new stuff, didn't change the old stuff.

When I run out, I'm going to try Green Dot, see someone gave me two sealed pounds of it.  Both deals, someone passed away, the family asked me how to dispose of someones dangerous loading stuff.  Well of course I do it for them, I don't even charge them.  Better than then taking it to a hazmat collection site.  I keep the sealed powder, fertalize the roses with the questionable stuff and pass what loading gear I don't need to a newbie. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline hhughh

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 02:16:05 AM »
I have other posts about a family heirloom 73 in 32 wcf that was the "bug that bit" for me. For several years I was "all things 32-20". One of my purchases during that time was a vintage green label 32 wcf Winchester cartridge box. It was empty, but the box was hinged and that part still works. Handwritten on the box is "for killing hogs". Which is exactly what the heirloom rifle had been used for itself.

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
.32 WCF / 32-20 cartridge history
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 07:12:12 AM »
Here's a brief cartridge history......

.32 W.C.F. - Introduced by Winchester Repeating Arms Company in 1882
.32-20 - Introduced by U.M.C. in 1883

.32 W.C.F. - always loaded with a 115 gr bullet* 
.32-20 - always loaded with a 100 gr bullet   

.32 W.C.F. - headstamp / 115 gr loading discontinued in 1946  THereafter, Winchester called it the 32-20 WIncester.
.32-20 - still factory loaded today

* also offered with a 100 gr hollow point bullet

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com