Author Topic: Historic accurate enough ?  (Read 7752 times)

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Historic accurate enough ?
« on: July 27, 2011, 02:51:32 PM »
I thought I'd ask this on the Colt forum. I know the difference between the bp frame and the cross pin. Do any of you guys feel that using a cross pin Colt, for an earlier time,  is a terrible historic sin ?

I've both types, and honestly, a 'Colt' being cross pin, just never really bothered me,,even if I was emulating the 1870s. I see it as a minor sin at most.

Just curious what you guys think.

MD

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: Historic accurate enough ?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
I thought I'd ask this on the Colt forum. I know the difference between the bp frame and the cross pin. Do any of you guys feel that using a cross pin Colt, for an earlier time,  is a terrible historic sin ?...

Major historic felony.  ;)

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 04:03:32 PM »
Relative to what?  Is the rest of the gun accurate, or are there many other issues?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:58:32 AM »

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 05:05:29 PM »
No other issues. Just curious if the more 'hard core' folks would pass a good revolver up just because it was cross pin instead of bp frame.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 05:08:25 PM »
No other issues. Just curious if the more 'hard core' folks would pass a good revolver up just because it was cross pin instead of bp frame.

Pass up....?  A Colt?

In a pig's a$$  If the price is right that will never happen in this lifetime.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Tsalagidave

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 01:59:36 PM »
That's a great question.  I try to fall into the hardcore category with my authenticity but I do it for a personal sense of achievement in this hobby and not to look down on others. (Why look down on someone because I am more into playing dress up on a museum-quality level than they are?) Since I have a belief that "to each, their own" philosophy, I get along pretty well with those who could care less about authenticity. I am more concerned with safety and common sense. (end of disclaimer)

In regards to historic authenticity down to the smallest possible details, my answer is yes, a BP frame should be used. If you are doing vaudevillian-esque stunt shows to entertain the public or if you are doing shooting competition, I really don't see the harm in using a cross pin. The 73 SAA design is a good and reliable one and I use it just about as much in modern shooting as I do in living history. I think the decision on this is really dictated by the individual's desire to really get into seeing how close he/she can get to simulating another time period versus someone simply enjoying what they currently have.

I'm interested in hearing how other people feel about this too.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Big Bear Lowe

• Rocky Branch Regulators, SASS #4474 (BM Patron /Life), NRA Life, GOA Life, NMLRA Life, Colt Collectors Assn., NCOWS Life, Tennessee Squires Association, Master Mason, Dirty Rat #639, Rocky Branch Long Rifles
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Active citizen
  • SASS #: #4474
  • NCOWS #: L-202
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 05:37:46 PM »
I always prefer the BP frame as it is the "old original", BUT as others have said a Colt is a Colt and I dinna snub my nose at all at a "push-pin" frame.  God, how I love the "Ponies"!

My 2 centavos.

ML
A Jug-Band Man Livin' in a Hip Hop World

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 06:00:08 PM »
Being a REAL Colt trumps the push pin.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 06:53:39 PM »
Like I said, I have both styles,,,,,,,,,,and honestly, I like one about as good as the other.

I do like the bull-eyes ejector tab better for my own reasons,,,as my fingers just find and operate it better.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 05:16:38 AM »
That's a great question.  I try to fall into the hardcore category with my authenticity but I do it for a personal sense of achievement in this hobby and not to look down on others. (Why look down on someone because I am more into playing dress up on a museum-quality level than they are?) Since I have a belief that "to each, their own" philosophy, I get along pretty well with those who could care less about authenticity. I am more concerned with safety and common sense. (end of disclaimer)

In regards to historic authenticity down to the smallest possible details, my answer is yes, a BP frame should be used. If you are doing vaudevillian-esque stunt shows to entertain the public or if you are doing shooting competition, I really don't see the harm in using a cross pin. The 73 SAA design is a good and reliable one and I use it just about as much in modern shooting as I do in living history. I think the decision on this is really dictated by the individual's desire to really get into seeing how close he/she can get to simulating another time period versus someone simply enjoying what they currently have.

I'm interested in hearing how other people feel about this too.

-Dave

That pretty well sums up my thoughts...

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 06:20:40 AM »
Tsalagidave nailed it!

Offline River Jordan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 10:56:56 AM »
Time travel is not perfect.

It is our relationships that are important---- not the props.

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 03:35:40 PM »
Fogettabotit!
You think Eastwood thought about using a cartridge shooting navy during the Civil War (The GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY)
Or how about all the ruger shooters.
And me and my 1875 Remington with the cross pin!

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 09:56:10 AM »
History aside, I have had one 2nd generation Colt and one Uberti ,that had problems with the cylinder pin backing out under recoil on the cross pin style. I am guessing it would be less of a problem with the blackpowder frame.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
I like the BP frame best.  I have a couple old Colts built in the late 80's that I shot for SASS about 20 years.  They were wore out when I got them and I put another 10000 rounds down the tube.  I replaced them with a couple USFA because I could not find a new Colt with a BP frame.  They are great guns but they dont feel like the "Old Ladies".  I shoot a 3rd Gen cross pin a lot because it feels almost as good as the "Old Ladies" and it was cheap.  I like my USFA's but I Love my Colts.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com