Author Topic: 3rd Gen Colt SAA questions  (Read 5737 times)

Offline Kyjames

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 109909
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
3rd Gen Colt SAA questions
« on: April 23, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »
Good Afternoon. I am somewhat new to Colt SAA. I currently have an early 2nd Gen in 38spl and would like to add the collection.

I have some questions about an opportunity I have to purchase a 3rd Generation Colt SAA in 45. The serial number is S209XXA. If someone could tell me the year of manufacture, I would appreciate it. I think it may have been made around 1999.

I would also be interested in anyone's thoughts about the quality of manufacturing around the date of manufacture. I have heard comments that Colt went through a period when quality control may not have been exactly up to earlier par. Is this revolver outside of that range?

The gun's fit and lockup appears good. The finish (CC and Blue) I estimate at 98%+. I have been told the gun has had an action job. The price is 1250. Does that sound reasonable?

Thank you in advance for assistance. 

James
"Without liberty, law loses its nature and its name, and becomes oppression. Without law, liberty also loses its nature and its name, and becomes licentiousness."

-- James Wilson (Of the Study of the Law in the United States, Circa 1790)

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: 3rd Gen Colt SAA questions
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 10:41:36 PM »
I have several Colt SAAs from the late 90s and they are all very nice. That sounds about right for the serial # you gave. That is a fairly high price though. You can probably get a brand new for the same (or even a bit less if you look around). $1000 to $1100 is more like it for a good clean used one.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 11:13:49 PM »
Colt's split the letters in 1993-1994 - your serial number's probably closest to a 1999 production.

They're well-built, and were/are Custom Shop products.

Colt's QC problems came in the late 1970's, when the company was purchased by the UAW.

Today's Single Action Armys are 'very' nice.

That said - the price asked for a used one is about retail - and you can find brand-new-in-the-box examples for a bit less, if you look.

I highly doubt the piece ever needed an action job and I'd be a little suspect of any work having been performed, thanks to would-be 'gunsmiths'.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:01:47 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com