Author Topic: Q:What holster for Colt M1878?  (Read 6479 times)

Offline Kolmule

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Q:What holster for Colt M1878?
« on: July 16, 2010, 08:30:07 PM »
Just got hold of a Colt Frontier DA M1878 revolver (5.5"bbl) and I need a holster for it. Preferably a military style flap holster.
Anyone of you guys have suggestions for a commercially available holster that will fit my Colt?

Offline shieldsmt

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Q:What holster for Colt M1878?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 10:48:56 PM »
Carricoleather.com he's one of the best.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 09:48:21 AM »
Since the U.S. military didn't use the M1878 Colt's DA revolver, I don't know of any "issue" holsters that would work with it, although the later New Service ones might fit.  You'd probably have to have one custom made.  The problem there is that a pattern would have to be made, and it might mean shipping the gun to the maker, unless he happened to have an original.  A possible alternative would be to see if any holster that fits an N-frame Smith & Wesson would work, and go from there.  If the N-frame holster works, it would simplify things greatly.  The presence of the ejector housing would probably mean wet-fitting the leather, but that's no big deal.

I personally have never had a request for a holster to fit a M1878, so I don't have a pattern for one.

Good luck!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:09:33 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 10:22:11 AM »
That was never an issued weapon, and the last time I checked - the Government-Issued Colt Model 1909 holster didn't fit the Colt Model 1878.

All of the holsters I've seen for that weapon have been some variety of the Mexican Loop.

A flap holster's easy to build - any number of leatherworkers should be able to make you one.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Kolmule

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 12:42:36 PM »
Ok, thank you guys. I'll see if I can get a custom made holster and perhaps post some pics of it later when I get it.

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:25:27 PM »
That was never an issued weapon, and the last time I checked - the Government-Issued Colt Model 1909 holster didn't fit the Colt Model 1878.

The government purchased aprox.4000 M1878 revolvers for issue to the Philippine Constabulary.These are the ones often seen identified as "Alaskan Models".There was an article in Gun Report some years ago about the SA flap holsters that were modified by the Philippine Ordnance Depot to adapt them to the the M1878 revolvers.The government nomenlature for these handguns was the M1902 and they had oversize trigger guards and longer triggers with a 6 1/2 in barrel.Existing examples of the holsters or pictures are about non-existent.The one period photo I have found of a soldier in the Philippines carrying one has an open top holster with a non-regulation cartridge belt.Due to the nature of the fighting it was popular to cut the flaps off to get it in action quicker which probably accounts for the low survival rate of original holsters.

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 04:21:57 PM »
Kolmule,
       I dont know for certain but I can recommend a maker to contact that may be able to help you. Alan and Donna Soellner of Chisholm's Trail have made me some really awesome 2 gun rigs. I went with the Virgil Earp Schofield rig in a left and right hand strong side with belt and then I ordered the gun rig Sam Elliot wore as Conn Conagher in the Louis L'Amour film Conagher for my Russians. They put togother some really great rigs and you will see alot of their work in "Guns of the Old West" magazine. Good Luck and make sure to let us all know what you get and how its working out for you.
                                                                                                                    Regret Chancy
"Aint nothing better than riding a fine horse into new country"

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 05:51:09 PM »
In addition to the US issuing the 1878 as previously stated by JimBob, the Canadians issued them too.

Here's a picture of a Canadian issued M1878 Colt with an issue holster (not mine). Congratulations on your purchase of an original Colt!   I like to pack my originals in full flap holsters in order to better protect these historical artifacts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com