Author Topic: vaquero loose sight  (Read 4054 times)

Offline northwoods

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
vaquero loose sight
« on: July 21, 2007, 10:02:25 PM »
gents/pards:

SS  nm vaquero has a loose front sight. Looks to me like it was attached with Black max rather than solder. I can get black max from brownel's, but is there a way to solder it that will not discolor the metal?

Offline Goody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: vaquero loose sight
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 05:44:08 AM »
I have attached front sights with JB Weld and had very good luck. Clamp gun between two blocks of wood in a vise. Clean both parts very well with a strong, non oily cleaner. Brake cleaner works good. Put a strip of masking tape on all 4 sides pf the slot in the barrel, right up to the edge. Mix the JB and apply a thin bead to the bottom of the slot, put the sight in. If any JB weld oozes out simply remove the tape carefully and it should take the ooze with it. You actually want a liitle ooze all the way round to insure that the sight will hold. Line up the sight, then resist the urge to touch it for at least 24 hours, 48 is better. any additional ooze can be filed carefully with a small needle file.

Offline buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 07:14:19 AM »
     call Ruger...they will fix it for free   :)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:46:42 PM »

Offline northwoods

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 08:35:13 AM »
Ggoody:

That sounds like a good plan. I may try it. The sight is loose, but has a good bit of "grip" left in it. Can it be wiggled back and forth with padded pliers, and gradually pulled out?

I did this by dropping it so feel the need to fix it myself. Besides, I love the DIY way as long as I don't screw it up worse. Experience is a great teacher! I have to disassemble it anyway to add the parts for adjusting the cylinder latch timing to eliminate the drag marks.

nothwoods

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 01:05:01 PM »
Is it blue or stainless?  I had one come loose but it also still had as you say some "grip" to it.  I just heated it in place.  The solder melted and flowed and when it was cool it was rock solid.

Offline northwoods

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 05:40:59 PM »
it' s polished stainless and the attach method does not look like solder as the gap between the sight and the barrel is black. Rumor has it that ss is sensitive to heat and will discolor. As long as it can be polished out no problem

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 08:39:29 PM »
I have a pair of New Model Vaqueros in stainless.  I just took a close look at them with a magnifying glass.  No sign of anything black, looks like a very fine line of bright solder.  There is no visible gap, the front sight fits the slot very well.

Offline northwoods

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 09:47:51 AM »
Deed is done. Came out with a slight wiggle and tug with pliers. Cleaned out the grove and soldered it up. Stainless holds its heat for a long time. Have no idea what Ruger used for a solder - was not black max. Fluxed and soldered each part and mated them up following a slow heat up with torch. Cleaned and polished up easily.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com