Author Topic: Rodeo with real ivory grips  (Read 12541 times)

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Rodeo with real ivory grips
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:03:37 AM »
I have one of the Lew Horton, limited ed, Sheriff's models. Neat little gun, and as accurate at 7 yds as anything I own. I particularly like this version,, as it has the Black Powder frame in the Rodeo Black finish. I used to finish gun metal for a living, and I can tell you the finish work on this little pistol is even better than my USFA "Custer"edition, and light years ahead of my 3rd gen Colt. The mechanical tolerances are perfect. The only thing I have done to it is replace the main and trigger/bolt springs. Now it feels like a race pistol !!!

Lately, I have been toying with the idea of having one-piece elephant ivory grips put on this little jewel. I want to have them scrimshawed with the emblem of a small masonic group that I belong to.

I got a great deal on the pistol (NIB) at $520, but am still thinking it's worth the price of the grips (from Nutmeg) to have the pistol I want. I might even antique it a little.

Any thoughts from the crowd. Anyone else pay as much for ivory grips as you did for the pistol??

Fake ivory is not an option for me!

TDW
The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Rodeo with real ivory grips
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 01:24:47 PM »
I have premium grade USFA's, both nickle and blue/CCH, with real ivory grips and personally feel that putting real ivory on a Rodeo would be a waste of money.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Skinny Preacher 66418

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 01:47:35 PM »
If you antique it, then the ivory grips would look nice.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I like the feel of the stock grips myself.
Smoke em if ya got em.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:20:38 AM »

Offline Wild Will

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 03:21:27 PM »
Just my opinion, but I would not put ivory grips on a gun with a "working" finish.  If I upgraded the grips at all on a rodeo I'd go for wood.

"If you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
- Tuco

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 05:10:47 PM »
Actually, I was thinking of it with an antique finish (like the Custer Battlefield or gunslinger), the fact that it had a Rodeo finish to begin with would not be apparent. Having had many Colts, I am totally impressed with the flawless metal work on this little piece. I had in mind, a look like a "well used" Sheriffs model. I have four other SAAs with elephant ivory grips, so it just seemed like a natural choice. I considered the one piece wood grips as well, as I'm just not a big fan of the hard rubber grips. Perhaps I would be better off with the wood grips on the Sheriffs Model and save the ivory for my nickle S&W Schofield 2000......Hmmmmm
The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 07:28:11 PM »

I put real ivory grips on my custom nickel plated Great Western 2. I liked it so well, I put em on the second GW in nickel I got. I got the ivories from Boone Traders (boonetrading.com) they do great work, and do scrim also, but don't do one piece grips.

I also have a set of real sanbar stag grips on an old EMF Dakota. If you like the gun, then anything you do to it is fine...I have had many many folks ask to see my GW's at gunshows, so it is just what you like..simple as that.

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 08:42:06 PM »
Folks that fit Ivory,,USFA, Colt,,whomever,,,can they do the proflie with the thin waist profile like the hard rubber USFA grips,,,they fit my hand so good,,,,but lots of grips that are 'fuller' on SAA , I just do not like..too thick. I might spring for custom grips if I could have them thinned thur the waist area and they flare back at the bottom like hard rubber grips.

Could USFA do ivories like that ?

MD

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 04:26:34 AM »
M.D.
    I think most grip makers would try to make the grips you want. They just need a good idea of what you are looking for. They are all looking to please the customer. I have Ivory grips from Nutmeg, Chesiak, Boone Trading, and a few pair I made myself. I've worked with enough Ivory to be comfortable in modifying them to suit me. Ivory is pretty much like working with wood, but you don't have to put a finish on it. Just polish it with some 1500 grit wet-or-dry til it shines, and your done. If your not comfortable making the changes yourself, I imagine USFA would be able to fill your request the best (although they are among the most expensive). 

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 06:31:27 AM »
All shops realize that the bottom line is you are the customer, and if you are not satisfied you don't come back again.  That being said, there are fundamental differences in dealing with a gun manufacturer compared to a grip-maker.  Grip-makers can afford to be more specific to the fit of the grips they custom make, that is there field of expertise.  Their inventory of goods is mainly grip materials, and they are experts in grip-making so their prices should be better.  A gun manufacturer is going to do an excellent job, but they may not be able to fulfill your specific job.  Their inventory of specialized grip materials is going to be small in comparison to all of their other materials in their inventory. 

My recommendation is if you are looking for grips that are truly custom made to you, use the grip-maker.  I have grips from Dan Chesiak, Paul Persinger, USFA, Tru-Ivory, Nutmeg and Eagle, and I can honestly say you will not go wrong with any of them.  If you want thinner grips, definitely use the grip-maker.  They are far more comfortable with grip materials and know how far a grip-material can be worked and still last the test of time.

However, if you are looking for your custom made firearm to be a collector's piece, have the grips done at the firearm manfuacturer at the time the gun is made.  This saves from any mishaps getting grips done later, and it tends to increase the collector value of the piece when the entire gun is completed that way from the factory, even though it will generally cost a little more initially.

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 09:08:57 PM »
Good response Doc. I should have been more specific in my comment about USFA. What I was referring to was M.D.s comment that he liked the contours of his USFA grips. My thinking being that USFA would be able to copy the contour of their rubber grips to the Ivory grips more correctly, as they have the grips in-house. You are correct that any good grip maker would be able to copy the contours to his customers satisfaction

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 11:19:14 PM »
I have a set of one piece ivories on a USFA Turnbull Cowboy Classic. They were done by Jim Alaimo at Nutmeg Sports. I explained to him beforehand that I had small hands and did not want the grips overly thick. They came out just as I had requested and the workmanship was superior.

Offline cleoleo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
The very best single action grip maker I know is Mr. William Jennings in Buffalo, Wyoming. A truely "Old World" craftsman. He specializes in Elk stag grips, but also does custom work. He can make anything. Check out his web site at www.stag-grips.com  or call him direct at (307) 620-1869. His turn-around -time is in days instead of weeks, the prices are very reasonable, and he guarantees your complete satsification or returns your money!  I have nine pair and it's been well worth the investment. Just tell him the "God Bless Texas" guy told you to call him.
Jerry Lamb
Texas

Offline Devil Anse Hatfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 07:44:48 PM »
300 bucks and you can have a set of Ivory slabs sent to the house. You want Ivory with color , end grain, Pure white you can usually get it . Nothing as nice as a set you made yourself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com