Author Topic: A couple more knives  (Read 11238 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A couple more knives
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 12:18:08 AM »
Josh,

Great knife ... actually much closer to my tastes than that lovely Belduque .... for I am afraid I am no Californio gentleman of leisure
in real life ... LOL

You mentioned a patina ... is that something a laymman could apply ... for instance, to that cheap Bowie you helped me with?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 08:29:57 AM »
WWE

Unfortunately that one has a stainless blade and although it possibly would rust or stain I think more than developing a patina it would most likely stay looking shiny with a stain here or a rust pit there.

Each type of steel will react differently and the term "stainless steel"  refers to all steels with over 13% chrome in the composition.  A steel like D2 which has 12% chrome is not a stainless but it's on the border but will still redilly rust (from my understanding) while 440c has I think 17% chrome and will pretty much won't stain or rust in any normal situation. 

FWIW just cause it interesting-  how a stainless steel is heat treated can also have a big affect on it's corrosion resistance. 

There are methods of getting a different looking finish on SS like acid washing, tumbling, stone washing etc.  but those types of treatments are done before the blade is finished.

I do thing your best bet is going as-is with this one ,   Josh

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 09:26:10 AM »
Josh,

I am sure your are right ... its just so huge that it fits more in with a rustic cap n ball period that a cartridge  ... and I already have a knife for that ...

And for tthat matter, this knife will rarely leave the sheath, except to spread peanut butter or cut string ... lol

So it is probably a moot point how 'new' the blade looks anyway ...

That's the knife on my right leg in the pic

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:23:01 AM »

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2010, 02:16:36 PM »
Alrighty Pards,  finally got the final touches finished up this mornin and after some family time an errand running I got to go out to play with this here bowie fer a bit.

As per our good Pard Shotgun Steve's suggestion I went back to the bolsters fer a bit of rounding over and cleaning up a bit then of course re-applied the antique patina to the brass.

Some just so we can get a feel for how she looks pics

Figure I'd better admit to ya Pards that that there stump is a rotted out Palm stump an is soft as a sponge,  sure looks impressive though don't it ?   LOL

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 02:31:23 PM »
Course Purdy pictures makes us feel all warm and cozy bout things but I'm not one of those "fer display only"  makers LMAO.   This here's a Bowie knife made of good quality 1080 carbon steel  cared fer throughout the process and treated to a very keen edge.  IE -  Lets cut some stuff Pards !

Some of ya may know that I'm going to be persuing an ABS (American Bladesmith Society)  Journeyman stamp in the future and one of the performance tests applicants must perform is cutting a free hanging 1" manila rope.  Now this is NOT 1"  NOR is it manila rope.  But it's what I had laying around the garage so I thought I'd give a try at making some free hanging cuts.

Hmmmm.....   I guess I'm gonna have to find some of that 1" manilla  cause this here little synthetic rope I got is just too easy, LOL.   Honestly I thought it was gonna be hard to do but she cut that rope like a lazer

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2010, 02:42:04 PM »
Now it does take a bit of effort but I did manage to chop this 2x4 in two  ;D

Yup...  Still shavin Pards  ;)

That about does it fer this'n Pards.  She's tested tried and true.

I gotta git back to the shop now and make my Mom a kitchen cutter fer Mothers Day  ;D

Thanks alot fer sharin yer thoughts with me Pards !  I sure do appreciate it and think I'll be making some more knives with a CAS style and a "Well Loved" finish

-Josh

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2010, 05:37:19 PM »

Josh I wouldn't change a thing about it, it's right on as it is now, well done pard

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2010, 07:23:43 PM »
Yep,if ya can scare a 2x4 into growin hair,your done.. :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2010, 10:48:29 PM »
Josh that looks 100% better in my humble opinion. I can say that I would personaly
be interested in a knife like that. Nice job and one heck of a tough knife. I do have a question
about the lanyard hole??? Does anyone know if they did used them in the 19th century?
I am curious to know because I can't recall ever seeing a knife with one. Josh I am not
picking either pard...I am genuinely curious!! By the way is your test knife for sale??? ;D
Great job take care Pard!!

Shotgun Steve
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 12:55:57 AM »
Steve,

Good question about the lanyard hole.   In all honesty I wasn't sure about that so with curiosity killing me I leafed through "Bowie Knife-  Un-sheathing an American Legend"  

Although they didn'y appear to be the most popular feature I did find 4 examples of knives that had a lanyard hole or "pierced pommel" as they called it.  

Page 176   1849 U.S. issue knife made specifically for a mounted regiment
Page 190   A pair of Sheffield made bowies circa 1870-1880's
Page 330   an American made 20" Bowie  

-Josh

Offline Messerist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 08:07:52 AM »
Excellent knife!  I really like your use of elk scales and the construction of your sheath...mind if I steal your design? I'm not very original. My stuff is kinda plain ;D.  

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2010, 08:27:50 AM »
Messerist,

Help yourself buddy  ;D

Mi casa, e sue casa    ;)

-Josh

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 08:35:50 AM »
Thanks Josh for the information on the "pierced pommel"  ;D That is good to know.
Like my Dear Old Dad always says "Any day that you can learn something is a good day!!" ;D

Shotgun Steve

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 01:42:36 PM »
Bpus..BACK OFF,,,,I just bought that knife !

:)

MD   *seriously, I did !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com