Author Topic: A couple more knives  (Read 11236 times)

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A couple more knives
« on: April 22, 2010, 10:52:45 PM »
Heya Pards,

I figured since there was so much interest in the Belduque thread I'd throw up my next couple knives and some thoughts to pick yalls brains so to speak.

Here we got an Elk tine, a piece of 1/4" brass barstock, and a heat treated blade that I made and heat treated yesterday. 

I've got it in my mind that there are many silent pards out there who may enjoy a custom handmade knife for many reasons but don't want or need anything too fancy-shmancy.   The kind of feller who wants a good  using grade knife to go along with his kit and would appreciate something handmade as opposed to comming from some durned factory in indo-china.  The fella I'm talkin about here isn't gonna care about hand finishing, mirror polishing, wire inlays, or anything else added that doesn't improve the function of the piece.   I believe most Pards out there would pay a fair price fer such an item if given the oppertunity. 

With this train of thought I got it mind that I need to develop a value package to meet the needs of this type of shopper where I can essentially make the knife and sheath start to finish in 8 to 10 hours of work time.   So lets see what I come up with.

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: A couple more knives
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 11:11:22 PM »
Now instead of focusing on a perfectly finished blade hand sanded to perfection I went the other way.  Almost 100% machine ground then quickly hand sanded and patina-ed.  This perticular patina appears to have been loved fer a few years but yet is not a complete relic.

Now we all know Sambar Stag is the king ding-a-ling among antler handles but try to buy that stuff then keep a value price, LOL.  Instead we're giving this elk tine a shot to see how it comes out.

Here's where I'm at right now with this knife.

The bolsters are all brass with 4 pins front and back and have been antiqued to go with the patina of the blade.  You can tell that I've only very roughly shaped the bolsters and handle material on the grinder but I went ahead and antiqued the hardware just to see how it grabbed me.  I've got 4    1/16" pinholes in the handle that still need the pins installed in but otherwise this knife could be sharpened and called done just like it is.

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:18:44 PM »
I shoulda mentioned that this'n here is a biggin  ;D  Just cause bowies are fun to make sometimes   ;)

8 3/4" cutting edge and 14 5/8"  OAL

Here she is with a little 5 1/2" gentleman's blade fer perspective

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:53:31 AM »

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 11:19:28 PM »

Josh, it's beautiful, looks well over a hundred years old, I love it.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 11:23:27 PM »
So I guess where I'm going with all this is

What do you guys Think ????????   Am I on the right track with this whole line of thought ? 

Good bad or ugly please share yer thoughts Pards.

Thanks alot,  Josh

Offline santee

• Keeping the Spirit of the Old West Alive
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The business end of a sixgun earns no interest.
    • Arizona Ghostriders
  • SASS #: 2171
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 11:32:04 PM »
Good! I've been following your work on this forum and think you are on to something big, here. Being a reenactor, I see plenty of knives that look too clean and fancy for the character being portrayed. A knife available from a local maker in the 1870's -1880's might look just like that.
Thumbs up!
Historian at Old Tucson Studios
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Offline Dave Cole

• Knifemaker/Leatherworker
  • Top Active Citizen
    • DC KNIVES and Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 11:32:42 PM »
That turned out great bud,and since we already talked about this you know my feelings.Folks ,got to handle that little Gentleman's knife and its sweet.Dave :)

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 12:31:13 AM »
Josh,

I like your idea.  For us retirees, what you have made would be affordable. 
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline TallBaldBellied

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 03:56:13 AM »
I think you're talking about someone like me.   :)  I'm saving up to be able to afford a good knife.  High carbon steel blade.  Looks used not abused.  Elegantly simple, and lively in the hand

Let's face it though.  I pick up trash for a big company to earn a living.  Second career and all.  It would take quite a while to save up what some ABS masters and journeymen are asking.  Not complaining, I'm willing to pay for what I want, and what it's worth.  A mans time and talent is worth more than most think.

TBB

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 03:58:49 AM »
Good move Josh. I think you'll find great success with that idea.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 07:32:36 AM »
Josh, I like the idea and the knife.
IMHO, you are on the right track.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline KidTerico

• kidterico
  • Top Active Citizen
  • I,m to small to turn the other cheek.
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 08:41:43 AM »
Great idea Josh. Love the knife. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Offline manassas dragon

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 08:52:45 AM »
very nice. josh,what are you thinking is a decent price for that beauty?

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 10:12:04 AM »
Thanks for all the great feedback Pards !!!!!!!!   Keep it comming   ;D

MD-    Boy I'm not sure about this exact one.  But lets talk in general terms.

I had in mind that a Bowie this size with sheath for $200 delivered.   I had however originally planned to put a butcher style handle like this one on it.  Adding bolsters adds quite a bit of work and this one has 2 sets  ;D
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,29642.0.html

And something more like $170 for a 5" to 6"   belt knife. 

I'm really having fun with this project though.  Check back later on for sheath pics.  I got it about ready to stitch up.

-Josh

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 11:14:24 AM »
I really hadn'e planned on doing any sorta WIP on this but I did go ahead and take a bunch of pics of the sheath making.

Just bored now waiting for the belt loop glue to dry so I can drill the stitch holes through and stitch this sucker up.  Here's a good idea of what I've got.   

Let me know if you guys have any questions about how we got to this point on the sheath.

Josh

Offline rafterp

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 12:57:11 PM »
Those are cool Josh! Along the lines of you making up some using grade knives, I bet some fellas might be interested in something along the lines of one of the small Sheffield bowies. I think Dixie Gun Works sells one similar to what I've seen some of the Texas Rangers wore. It'd be cool to have one that in terms of fit and finish looked like it might have spent a few years in a Ranger's scabbard.

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 02:15:06 PM »
Hi Josh...It sounds like you are on the right track. I know you said the bolsters weren't finished off,
but are you planning on leaving them rough like that on a customers knife?? Just asking because
even if you are making what a cowboy would have considered a good buy on a working knife
I don't believe that even back then a bladesmith would have let the bolsters go out in that shape.
Just adding my two cents. I can see them not finished off perfectly but I don't see them or the entire knife
for that matter left too rough. No frills yes......rough looking no....unless the knives were made by a local fella
who wasn't a professional and lacked some of the tools for fine finishing. I like the knives Pard. Just trying to be helpful not picky!! ;D

Shotgun Steve
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Simple bueaty and a great camp knife you wouldn't be afraid to carry and use,well made for the rough stuff. :)

Sent ya a PM earlier about if redwood is a good material for knives and such.My brother took up his redwood deck and cut ALOT of 2x6s to smaller lengths,i told him to save me some in cae you guys could use any of it.It's only sun bleached on the outside and the rest looks great from what i can see.

Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 09:16:14 PM »
Josh;  Pm'd ya. 

To me, using grade means workmanlike but not necessarily opulent.  I would like a knife that I can use with pride.  The process of making it look "used" is something that I'd like to enjoy myself.

I have a pair of Zeiss binoculars, but only use it when I'm being really serious.

I have a Gebruder Merkel O/U shotgun, but generally use something less pricey, though I have used the Merkel extensively on grouse and trap.

I have a custom bowie with mastodon ivory scales, but only carry it for show. (Mostly because It's too big to carry very much.)

It is great to have a few top grade items, but mostly we use more workmanlike things. Josh, I'd love the feeling of pride I'd know I'd have carrying and using one of your knives.

Josh, you are a great craftsman, and Wadd, you are one lucky Son of a gun!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 10:57:55 PM »
Thanks everyone for the GREAT feedback on my questions !   It is really appreciated on my end.

Rafterp- This particular knife was mostly just a test case to run an example of the type of finish I'm talking about past the Pards here to get their opinion on whether it's a worthwhile concept or not.  It certainly can be applied to all different blade styles.

Steve-  Thanks fer commenting Pard !  I was indeed kicking around the idea of leaving the bolsters as-is but just as a matter of style sense.  Rounding them off and cleaning them up is no problem so I'll take care of that tomorrow.  I DO appreciate that input and I do agree with you that your point of view makes perfect sense.

GCR-  Redwood burl is used quite a bit for knife handles but it is typically stabilized.  The big draw to it is the beauty of the burl though and although I don't see a problem with using straight grained wood I don't recall seeing redwood used as handle material before unless it is a highly figured piece. 

Sir Charles,  I'll always be willing to work with a fella on a show piece and also understand the enjoyment that can be had reminicing the memories that has given a blade a well earned patina.  A certain hunt, camping with family, or even performing cooking chores in an unsuccessful week of deer camp can leave the fingerprints that stir the emotions on a nice carbon steel blade  ;D

I've always had a champagne taste in firearms personally but have mostly found myself with a beer budget when actually purchasing one,  LOL

Mainly I was interested in finding out if the interest was out there for this type of blade.  Finished to a lesser degree of refinement and at a bargain price but still a handmade custom with the same heat treating and usefulness as it's more polished cousins.

Thanks again for all the comments fellas !  I gotta do a little final touch type work on this one but should have it completed tomorrow so I'll throw up a few more pics when it's 100% done.

-Josh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com