Author Topic: There's a new knifemaker in town  (Read 10410 times)

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
There's a new knifemaker in town
« on: October 31, 2009, 11:14:24 PM »
Howdy pards,
Thought I'd sit a spell and indroduce myself.  I've always loved shooting, hunting, and knives since I was a youngin.  My pa brought me up huntin an shootin and the love of the outdoors has stuck.  As we all know ain't nuttin more important in the wild than a good knife.  Always liked a workin with my hands too, constructing and raisin barns and such and now that I settled down a bit, took a wife, and had a youngin of my own I've done built up a knife shop. 
Always have found CAS to be a great thing although never have been involved in the fun.  Figurin on makin some business sellin knives to folks who appreciate a fine handmade blade crafted by one man. Recon this'll be a fine way to combine the things I enjoy and do well with making some new friends.

Thats enough rubbish bout me now on to the peas and carrots.  I plan on making some knives that just may be attractive to the fellers hangin round these parts.  Plan on usin some good ole made in the USA carbon steel combined with materials such as Brass, Copper, Wroght Iron, Bone, Horn, and Antler just to name a few.  I can do scrimshaw and wire inlays and have been known to bend a bit of leather from time to time. 

I reckon I'll put a knife up fer sale and hold off on bendin a sheath fer her till she's got a new owner.   Reason being I'll be able to work with a fella and create a custom sheath matched to the best of my abilities with the rig fer his or her shootin irons.

Pards,  I'd sure appreciate it if you'ld share your thoughts on my little plan here and let me know what ya think.

Here are some pics of the blade I'm working on now.  She's 1080 carbon steel with a 6" cutting edge and a differential heat treat for a great balance of toughness and edge retension.  This beauty has already passed it's performance tesing with flying colors and is just waitin to be completed.  Again please let me know what yall think about it

Thanks again Pards  ;D  Josh

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: There's a new knifemaker in town
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 12:42:36 AM »
Well by golly that is a fine lookin weepon.Now fer some buffler horn grips with silver inlay and a few turquoise dots with Chief Thundermoon scrimshaw on one side (my indian name when i play my native american flute) and were good to go.. ;D You'll have to wait till i put my sixguns on and rob the local finace outlet though, then we can talk.. ;)

Looks like your joining a fine group of craftsmen too.I like that file work...Better watch out for Ned Buckshot or maybe visey versey~~~~I love the stuff all you guys make.Nice lookin blade..~~~Welcome~~~ :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 10:38:29 AM »
I can't say I like the style of the knife (I don't like chocolate ice cream, either.  It's a personal taste.), but your workmanship appears to be first rate, and I'm glad to see carbon steel in any cutting instrument.  I'm some kind of tired of stainless and laminated/"Damascus" blades.  (Another personal taste.)

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:26:51 AM »

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 10:51:47 AM »
I don't know Forty,looks like you could stab, cut ,skin and dance with that one....
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 11:54:37 AM »
I don't know Forty,looks like you could stab, cut ,skin and dance with that one....

No doubt, but it doesn't grab my eye. 

Mercedes makes a fine car, too, but I don't cotton to its looks.  Druther have a BMW for about the same money.

I like SAAs, but the '75 Remington looks awkward to me.  S&W Americans and 1st model Russians are absolutely elegant, but feel strange.

See what I'm getting at?  I'm not putting the knife nor the man down at all.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 01:18:44 PM »
Thanks a bunch for the replies fellas !

Gunclick Rick,
                    If'n you run across a Wells Fargo stagecoach don't hestitate drop me a line.  The Chief Thundermoon project sounds like a lotta fun and certainly do-able on my end.  Matter of fact this is exactly the sorta project that'd tickle my fancy.  Working with a pard to create a personalized one-of-a-kind handmade knife is just my cup of tea. 

If'n you've got an antler from a special hunt or one of yer Pa's old mounts collectin dust, or some other such thing you'ld like incorperated into that special knife you can pass down to yer youngins It can be done.  This is just the sora thing that just can't be had from a mass production knife company but is welcomed by makers such as myself.

Forty Rod,
                   I sure appreciate the honsty pard an thank ya fer it !   This perticular knife is something I designed which may not have the same historical appeal as say a Musso Bowie, Green River skinner, or a nice Antler handled Bowie.   This is my first attempt at a knife geared towards cowboys an figured I just make one an see what kinda interest I could drum up. 

If you don't mind my askin,  what stye of knife would ya typically fancy.    Would ya say most pards would be more interested in larger Bowies in the 8-10" range over a blade this size or is it purely just a personal thing with no evident trends ?

And don't worry a'tall Forty I got yer point and there was no offense taken and I do appreciate the compliments.

Thanks again fer participatin in this discussion Pards,    Josh

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 03:04:17 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else, but I like a Bowie type blade, a bit wider at the front ( 1 1/4") than at the back (1 1/8"), 6" or so long...1/4" is plenty thick enough.  It needs a clip point at least a third of the blade long, but not over half, and sharpened the full length of the clip edge, and no blood groove

It should have a very small top arm, not over 1/2" on the straight quillon, longer on the cutting side, maybe an inch or a bit longer.       

A 5" long handle a bit wider at the butt end, either full tang or full round handle, hard wood or stag (or ivory/bone, though not as durable), is sutable.  I also want to be able to fit it to my own hand after I get the thing.

Such a knife can effectively be used for fighting, butchering and skinning, cooking, and general camp chores.  There's no such thing as an "all purpose" knife, but in my mind that would be close enough for my purposes, especially along with a good pocket knife.

I like and appreciate the file work, but am more interested in a working blade.  File work is an attractive bonus.

A sheath of heavy russet leather or russet leather-covered rawhide with the cutting edge to the rear when worn on the left side, forward when on the right, with the top of the pocket (quillon height) at the top of the 2 1/2" gunbelt. 

No tie-downs or retaining straps, no decoration, no Mexican loops.  Make it snug enough to hold the blade against falling out too easily.  I can always tie it in with a thing if necessary.

Like I said, I can't speak for everybody.  I have a beautiful 8" blade Bowie that's about as practical as a barbed-wire jock strap.  Just too long for anything but fighting or sometime machete duties.

There are those who have inferred that I am opinionated about things.  I cannot dispute that for a second.  ;D

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 04:34:53 PM »
Forty Rod,

Thanks for being so detailed in your response. 

As I mentioned to GunClick Rick this here is yet another prime case fer a knife and sheath handemade to fit yer wants.
Shoot we're all opinionated !   I believe this here's the reason makin knives to order is service that could be durn well recieved amongst fellers like us. 

I figure I'll try an git a feel for what folks might like an make up a few knives and see how it goes.  Of course I'd also be willing to take on a commision or two.

Yalls input is great and I do thank ya fer it,  Josh

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 04:45:19 PM »
I agree with Forty, I like carbon steel and like hin, the knife is not my style but workmanship looks great. 

Myself my favorite knives are just plain old butcher knives, the kind you can do anything in a cook camp with, from peeling taters to cuttin' up a beef.  But you won't get many asking about that type knife.  Oh and just walnut on the grips, antler gets slippery when it has blood on it, but then again most antler or horn handled knives you see on folks belts will never have blood on them unless the owner makes a woops and then they are gonna not want to hold onto but to get a band-aid.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 05:30:54 PM »
Del, I have never cut myself and I have the scars to prove it.  ::)

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 05:52:02 PM »
Del,

I did kinda think the butcher style would be right popular.  I do have one question though,  are we talkin belt sized butcher in the 5 to 6" area or the full monte butcher more like 8 to 9"

Thanks fer throwin in yer 2 cents

-Josh

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 06:53:45 PM »
Shame on me ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 05:12:38 PM »
Josh, I have a soft spot for the shorter ones like this Sheffield I picked up years ago.

Gets used for 90% of my kitchen chores, either at home or in camp.  Cut up a pork loin with it just last night and got a ham to do tonight.

As for a marketable product, that I don't know, might not fit most folks idea of a proper knife, but it sure does for me.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 05:15:57 PM »
Shame on me ;D

No problem, some knives are made for usin' some are made for lookin'.  "Course the lookers might as well be made of hot roll and save the good stuff for the users.  In fact a lot of them I've looked at seem to be made of hot roll. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 10:06:51 AM »
Josh, I happened to get a new Cabela's cutlery catalog yesterday.  Go to their website and look for item number JTZ-51-7422-493. it's a Puma "bowie" with a 6 1/2" blade.

The blade is nearly what I want, maybe the clip could be a hair longer and fully sharpened.  Combine that with the quillon and handle on JTZ-51-9663-001 or 002 and you have a winner.  I prefer iron or steel pins to brass, and a brass or steel quillon.

Just something to look at and think about.  The sheath is another matter for later.   ;D

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 01:41:07 PM »
Forty,
         I was already familiar with the Puma bowie as it's always appealed to me.  I got ya on the handle style of the Bear and Son bowie. 

Yer talkin about what I think of when I think of a classic Bowie Knife.  Not as Fat as a Western bowie, not as big as some other short sword like D-guards and the like.  I lean toward thinkin bout a reasonable belt size Bowie in 6.5 to 8" max range.

The knife at the beginning of this thread is getting brass bolsters and pins but with an antiqued patina.  I ain't real keen towards shiny polished brass though.

My wheels are a turnin on a design like your talkin bout,  and I just got ahold of some wrought iron yesterday too and I'm a lookin real forward to tryin it out.

What are yer thoughts between hollow ground -vs- flat ground blades.  Just curious cuz I believe both styles were used back in the day and I do have the right equipment for either.

Far as sheaths go....  shoot I'll try anything once an got good friends who regularly work with rawhide, brain tanned , an such so if'n I got in a pinch help's just a call away.

Thanks again Pard fer continuing in the discussion

-Josh

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 03:08:50 PM »
I prefer flat ground simply because I can't sharpen a hollow ground blade worth a hoot.  Always end up spending far too much time getting it right.

A flat ground blade can be touched up with a steel every day or two and honed every full moon.....or whenever I get the urge.

That being said, I admire the edges on many hollow ground knives and razors.  A man could cut off something by accident, something he might still have a regular use for.  I can shave with a flat edge if I'm careful and don't mind a little discomfort.

I have a Linder 8" Bowie that is useful and attractive and weighs just about as much as a Volkswagen Beetle.  The blade is stainless and the scales are sambar stag.  Other than that, it's a marvelous knife, considering its Aryan factory origins.  I like it a lot, but I'd still enjoy something smaller and lighter.  I might also be in the market for a patch / neck knife later on.  Got some specific opinions on that, too.   ;)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 03:15:22 PM »
Remind me if we ever have a chance to get together 40, I'll bring my shavin' kit with the German razor and let ya have at it.  Only rule, I stop it, no one else. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 07:46:54 PM »
I stopped shaving with a straight razor after my wife stated complaining about the cost of super glue to put my parts back on.  (You didn't think I got this ugly naturally, did you?)

Thanks for the offer, though.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 07:51:11 PM »
I've been lucky so far, have even done it in public demos and no more than a minor nick here and there.  But I'm very careful.  Have cut my self are worse with a Bic razor because I get in a hurry and careless. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com