Author Topic: Different manufacturer options  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Sam Cobra

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Different manufacturer options
« on: March 02, 2012, 09:00:15 AM »
Hey Pards,  I really love the Cimmaron Thunderer in SS with the Ivory grips, like the Doc Holliday model.  Don't really want to pay that much for the engraved gun, holster, knife etc.  Just looking at the basic gun in SS ivory in 357/38.  Are there any other options you would recommend over the Cimmaron?  Thanks!

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Specialty/ThundDocHolliday.htm

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Different manufacturer options
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 09:28:30 AM »
Basically, most of the Colt style handguns come from two sources, Uberti or Pietta.  Cimarron is an importer.  Also look at Taylors and EMF.  They all sell guns by Uberti and Pietta and have them in different configurations.  Without the name and knife, the Thunderer is around $500.00.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1229
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:11:55 AM »
You can purchase just a nickled or SS Thunderer or SS Thunderball (Pietta version) from Cimarron, with or without the Bar-S Tru-ivory grips.  If you order with those grips it will take some extra time because the gripframe is sent to Bar-S for the grips to be fitted.  You can also buy the gun with wood grips and have other grips fit to the gun yourself (the Bar-S grips are very nice but pricey).  The Pietta version has slightly smaller grips than the Uberti version.  Also the Pietta version is polished stainless, looks more like nickle.  The Doc rig is nickled, not stainless.  The Uberti SS Thunderer will be satin SS, not polished.  Hope that helps.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:33:26 AM »

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 10:12:15 AM »
They had Pietta's and Uberti's gunz at WR last week.  Both Taylor's and Cimmaron were sportin' the Uberti's and there were a few 'smiths with Pietta's on hand.

I got so confused.  I could feel a difference between the gunz that had been 'smithed and those that hadn't (big difference).  But, I was unable to discern significant structural differences among the various offerings.

Seems like the way to proceed with this is to contact a 'smith who has a relationship with the various suppliers, tell him what you want to achieve, and follow his advice.  Lassiter and Longhunter seem like the go-to guys for eyetalian gunz.

Offline Sam Cobra

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 01:16:43 PM »
Well my buddy John at Old Town Enterprises has come through for me again  ;D

I have a SS Cimmaron Thunderer 3 1/2 barrel on it's way as I type. 

and I have a set of Buffalo Brothers "Ivory" grips on their way as well

Now what kinda leather.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com