Author Topic: New Greenhorn at the ranch  (Read 5779 times)

Offline wildbill1962

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Greenhorn at the ranch
« on: May 14, 2005, 02:18:59 PM »
Howdy All!!    New to the sport and site. Think I,ll pull up a stump and stay awhile. Looks like alot of good pards here.  Look out.......I might be picking your brain and bending your ears.

I,ve picked up 2 Stainless Ruger Vaqueros with 4 5/8" barrels, looking for a double rig, rifle and shotgun. Hoping to be seeing some of ya,ll at local shoots. (Indiana)

Thanks
Wildbill1962 
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
Re: New Greenhorn at the ranch
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 02:35:58 PM »
Welcome, pick away.........Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Foothills Drifter

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 02:59:57 PM »
Howdy......
And WELCOME  ;D Ya can pick my brain all ya want.....but I gotta warn ya....there ain't much left  ;)

Good shootin......
Vern... 8)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:48:07 PM »

Offline wildbill1962

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 03:01:20 PM »
Okay....you talked me into it.

Since I am just getting into the sport and trying to get outfitted, what do you beleive will be the best rifle and shotgun to start with.  Starting on a buget, so must keep it lower budget.

Thanks
Bill
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Foothills Drifter

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 06:44:15 PM »
Howdy......
I'll tell ya what I got and it worked for me. My shotgun was a Bikal BountyHunter II. The only problem I had with it was keepin it clean from all the shootin it done. My rifle was a Rossi '92 in .45 colt. It got retired when I found a Winchester (Uberti) '66 I just couldn't live without. I have 2 stainless Vaqueros that I very seldom shoot (ain't shot 'em in 3 years) I shoot my 2  blued Vaqueros all the time. I also have a Stevens 311R 12ga, an 1897 Winchester 12 ga. (made in 1908) a Marlin 1894 in .45 colt,a Colt Pinoneer Scout in .22 cal SA, a Kimber Custom II 45 acp (1911) and a S&W 686 DA in .357 mag. I am in need af a BIGGER safe  ;D

Good shootin......
Vern... 8)

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 07:09:40 PM »
You don't have listed what part of the Territories you're in. Two suggestions for a rifle come to mind budgetwise. The Rossi's( Win. 92) or the Marlin, especially the ones from Big 5 if you're in their area. These Marlins are a round barreled standard action gun with hardwood stocks instead of walnut. They run sales on these almost every month and are in the $299-$319 range. I prefer the Marlins myself because of the ease of cleaning compared to the '92 design. But that's just personal preference talking. Shotguns, the Baikals or Stoegers in the SxS's or the '97 copies from China if you're into pumps. I use Marlin rifles exclusively and have a Stoeger SxS and a TTN Colt 1878 hammered SxS, both 12ga's.......Buck 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline wildbill1962

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 09:20:03 PM »
Thanks to all for the help and advice. I am leaning towards the marlin. Want to find something in either 44mag or 45Colt.Since that is the pistol calibers that I have. As far as scatter guns go, I am still in the dark. Not sure if a SxS or a pump will be better.

Thanks Again
Wildbill1962
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline blue drifter

• semper fi blue drifter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 09:38:29 AM »
You don't have listed what part of the Territories you're in. Two suggestions for a rifle come to mind budgetwise. The Rossi's( Win. 92) or the Marlin, especially the ones from Big 5 if you're in their area. These Marlins are a round barreled standard action gun with hardwood stocks instead of walnut. They run sales on these almost every month and are in the $299-$319 range. I prefer the Marlins myself because of the ease of cleaning compared to the '92 design. But that's just personal preference talking. Shotguns, the Baikals or Stoegers in the SxS's or the '97 copies from China if you're into pumps. I use Marlin rifles exclusively and have a Stoeger SxS and a TTN Colt 1878 hammered SxS, both 12ga's.......Buck 8) ;)
  foothills take a look at, or better yet giv em a call  407-896-6793 the site is buffalo bills shooting store its in fla. but they ship,they sell used guns for CAS   blue drifter ;)
semper fi, dav, blue drifter

Offline Wes Virginian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 08:45:24 PM »
If you don't think you will be shooting the Holy Black, get a '97 Winchester or clone. If you shoot Holy Black in the future, you will need a SxS. A Marlin .44 or .45 is hard to beat for the price. I've been shooting Black Powder in mine for over 3 years and it gets better all the time. It will also shoot .44 Mag or .44 Special fine.
Texican Rangers, Co. A, Kanawha Valley Regulators, NRA Life-Endowment, SASS Life 40471, NCOWS 2037, GAF, USN '60/'63.

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 07:30:14 PM »
Welcome to the fire Wildbill. Do you have two different caliber Vaqueros or just one caliber in two Vaqueros? I would visit some shoots and ask pards to let you try their rifles and shotguns out in your caliber or gauge first. Then decide what model, brand, you like.

You'll find that if you ask 100 cowboys what they prefer, you'll get different answers from each.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com