Author Topic: wrist Watches in the west????  (Read 7064 times)

Offline Frog69

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
wrist Watches in the west????
« on: April 03, 2006, 04:21:04 PM »
There has been some discussion about whether some things were available during the 1800s and one thing came up that i could give some more insight to that would be wrist watches thought i would share some information . One of the finest early swiss watch company's in the 1800s was  Constant Girard and in 1880 developed an extremely  innovative concept for watches, The wrist watch, and following an order from Emperor Wilhelm I of Germany for his naval officers 2,000 were made. this was the first large scale production of wrist watches in history. Others soon had experimental  wrist watch ideas   and limited production was there results . Most swiss company's were establishing sales outlets in the US in the late 1880s and 1890s. wrist watches did not gain big interest  in ether the US or Europe till after 1900s.Now the question could you have seen a wrist watch in the west , that would be yes but would you have seen allot of them probably   not . i have been in contact with factory archives  to  confirm this  finding ..... This like many, is just some more food for thought

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: wrist Watches in the west????
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 04:23:23 PM »
I don't find any before the boys started coming home from fighting the Kaiser.  After that they grew by leaps and bounds on this side of the ocean.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Online Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 04:37:37 PM »
I can see why they would take a while to catch on. My dad always caried a pocket watch because he would catch a wrist watch on stuff when he was working on the ranch. Heck, I don't like wearing one, now. I would venture to guess (guess, mind you) that they started gaining acceptance in cities where one was less likely to be traipsing through brush and what-not.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:00:07 AM »

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 05:30:21 PM »
A wrist watch would have been a hidden item...

I was told by a lady whose neighbor's grandfather had actually done time that short sleeve shirts were invented specifically so folks could show off their fancy new 'wrist' watches without worry that they would be hidden by the shirt cuffs.  Therefore, since it's been thoroughly documented, we should allow short sleeve shirts...you just can't argue with real proof like that   :P
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 05:32:57 PM »
According to a Paul Harvey "The Rest of the Story" a while back the new-fangled wrist watches did not sell well in this country when they were first imported in the 1880's because most men considered them kind of girly lookin'. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 05:51:04 PM »
Since the book "The West" shows a couple of Englishmen at Runnymeade in Kansas in the 1870's holin' "Tennis Rackets" and the picture is not clear on their feet, what did they wear on their feet to play "Tennis." ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 06:31:05 PM »
I'm so serious I found out, but then I'm always lookin' for another reseach problem to go with the 3 dozen or so ongoing ones I have right now. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 06:32:48 PM »
What about my Palm Pilot?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 06:43:23 PM »
I've heard of someone called "Rosey Palm." ::)  Something about 5 sisters, but I don't know no more. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline ColonelFlashman

• Thank'ee! And Damn Your Eyes.
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • '73 N.W.M.P. Field Uniform, Assit. Commis.
    • "Sir Harry Flashman's Memiors"
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 06:51:39 PM »
The first Wrist Watches were Small Pocket Watches w/ Tangs Soldered on there sides to Except a Wrist Band in the 1880s.
How do I know this, research like you & I Own 1.
 Hamelton Watch Co. came up w/ the 1st True Wrist Watch as we know it for Avaitors in the Teen's.
As it was a pain in the Arse to keep pulling out a Pocket Watch to cheque the time in flight or even using the Modified Pocket/Wrist Watch as it was, the Tangs broke off, it's Bulky & Combersome on 1's wrist.

Canvas, Gum soled Deck shoes were what those Englishmen were wearing on there feet to play Tennis in, which are the predicessor to Tennis Shoes & Sneakers as we kow them.
Colonel Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC KCB KCIE USMH;
Colonel 17th Lancers Staff Political Officer;
Staff Corp Commander & D.o.P. Command Staff
WartHog, Pistolero & Mounted Shootist
 :uk:  :usa:  :canada:  :dixie:  :ausie:

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 07:13:02 PM »
Right on with my research on the tennis shoes.   
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 11:40:42 PM »
"Walk into the boardroom of any Fortune 500 company and you’re likely to see dozens of prestigious wristwatches, including such names as Rolex, Vacheron Constantin, Frank Müller, Jaeger-LeCoultre and even Patek Phillipe. However, this was not always the case. Less than 100 years ago, no self-respecting gentleman would be caught dead wearing a wristwatch. In those days of yore, real men carried pocket watches, with a gold half-hunter being the preferred status symbol of the time—no pun intended.

Wristlets, as they were called, were reserved for women, and considered more of a passing fad than a serious timepiece. In fact, they were held in such disdain that many a gentlemen were actually quoted to say they “would sooner wear a skirt as wear a wristwatch”.

The established watchmaking community looked down on them as well. Because of their size, few believed wristlets could be made to achieve any level of accuracy, nor could they withstand the basic rigors of human activity. Therefore, very few companies produced them in quantity, with the vast majority of those being small ladies’ models, with delicate fixed wire or chain-link bracelets."

The above from the Rolex website on the History of the Wristwatch...

During the trench warfare of the Great War and the miserable conditions of constant rain and mud - British Officers found that the small ladies watch often worn on the bosom was ideal for use if a suitable method of wearing it was designed.

That led to a leather 'cup' that the watch could fit within and was affixed with a strap.

The '12 O'Clock' position was at the stem at the top of the watch on early WWI-attributed watches made thusly.

Later,  there were metal 'crystal guards' made - that would effectively shield the fragile crystal from inadverdent damage - and some watches were specifically made to be sold to the military buyer that had that guard as a part of the watch case.

'That' style of watch had the '12 O'Clock' position as worn currently - with the stem at the wrist.

American Officers saw this and they became popular almost overnight.

However -  that popularity waned somewhat until the latter '30's as the pocket watch was still in wide production and was 'preferred' by businessmen.

As materials became stronger and the smaller watches more reliable - the wristwatch surpassed the pocket watch in acceptance.

And the answer to the burning question concerning footwear is 'Plimsolls'...

Type 'that' into your search engine and you'll come up with dates of the first rubber heel (January 24, 1899) - along with a whole lot of other odd facts.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 12:18:05 AM »
My dad always caried a pocket watch because he would catch a wrist watch on stuff when he was working on the ranch.

That reminds me very little of the time a feller I used to work for was  reaching around to adjust the carburetor on his outboard motor and shorted the starter solenoid with his Rolex thereby welding the band to the solenoid, raising a good sized burn blister on his wrist and voiding the warranty on the Rolex.

Offline ColonelFlashman

• Thank'ee! And Damn Your Eyes.
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • '73 N.W.M.P. Field Uniform, Assit. Commis.
    • "Sir Harry Flashman's Memiors"
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 12:47:36 AM »

And the answer to the burning question concerning footwear is 'Plimsolls'...

Type 'that' into your search engine and you'll come up with dates of the first rubber heel (January 24, 1899) - along with a whole lot of other odd facts.

Yes, that's what we British call them, but I didn't use it because not many outside the England & the Commenwealth would not have recognised the word for what is was.

Then you get into "Chukka Boot" out of India which dates even earlier than the "Plimsoles" & you added an Extra "L' to your version of the spelling, boy-o. ;)
Colonel Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC KCB KCIE USMH;
Colonel 17th Lancers Staff Political Officer;
Staff Corp Commander & D.o.P. Command Staff
WartHog, Pistolero & Mounted Shootist
 :uk:  :usa:  :canada:  :dixie:  :ausie:

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 02:38:27 AM »
Howdy Frog,

Now to some specifics!

The oldest wrist watch that I own is in a "gun metal" Blued iron/steel case with wire lugs to attach the band.  The case is 33 mm in diameter [1 1/4 inch] and the lugs are 12 mm [7/16 inch] wide.  The dial is enamel, white with arabic numerals and divided into minutes.  The 12 is RED and at the lug.  The winding stem is at the 3 at the wrist.  From what I have read, the 12 in red dates this watch from the very early 20th century, ca. 1910.  What do you all think?

The band on it is not PC.  I purchased a crystal guard that fits quite nicely.  It keeps pretty good time.  Just wound it and it started right up and is going strong.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 08:56:00 AM »
Here's an
1896 wristwatch that's for sale on ebay, I checked the serial number in Cooksey's and it was indeed made in 1896. You can see more pictures by clicking on the link (1896 wristwatch)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 07:25:55 PM »
I wonder if Oscar Wilde wore a wrist watch? ;D  Also perhaps a turtle-neck sweater would be good to wear with "Period" tennis shoes. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Frog69

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 01:02:58 PM »
howdy,
       as some one brought up Rolex TM. I because i have worked at a Rolex dealership and i am a certified Rolex tech   i have got to say that there mentality when talking about watch history is very simple that is if they did not  invent it they were the ones that perfected it and no one does it better so why would any one want anything other than a Rolex and before Rolex the world was just playing around with time keeping and watches. With that said Rolex is a fine watch and a good company they just have a interesting way of looking at things and it shows in there attitude. well enough of a soap box..... i just thought i would post a actual picture what this wrist watch looked like and its much like a watch you would see to day......it was early enough and it was mass produced and it  is  documented as to being sold so perceivably depending on your persona a wrist watch of this type could make a appearance......  some more thoughts....

Online Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2006, 04:15:58 PM »
... i just thought i would post a actual picture what this wrist watch looked like and its much like a watch you would see to day......it was early enough and it was mass produced and it  is  documented as to being sold so perceivably depending on your persona a wrist watch of this type could make a appearance......  some more thoughts....

I like it. Thanks for the pic. I'd wear one, ya never know when you need to strain something. I can't say I'd build a persona around it, though.

That reminds me very little of the time a feller I used to work for was  reaching around to adjust the carburetor on his outboard motor and shorted the starter solenoid with his Rolex thereby welding the band to the solenoid, raising a good sized burn blister on his wrist and voiding the warranty on the Rolex.

LOL, that sounds like a bum deal. I had a Rolex on its original band and made a gesture to point over the side of the boat while fishing. The band popped open and I splayed my fingers, barely catching it. After I got home, I put a leather band on it and tossed the metal one. Now and then, the leather band wears out and I replace it...with leather, of course.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2006, 04:33:27 PM »
RCJ,

Would work fine if your corn will fit on a 33 mm surface.  19th Century watch crystals were made of glass and were thin.  That is why the crystal guard was used.  Many were after market clip on guards.  That is what I have on mine.  It has spoked wheel form with a open center.  It has extensions at 3 places around the guard that hold it on. 2 are U shaped at 11 & 7 and the other is actualy 2 prongs that go on either side of the stem at 3.  These are the ones that I have to bend to apply & remove the guard. 
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com