Author Topic: Plow Discs - Cowboy Wok  (Read 17374 times)

Offline Wishbone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Plow Discs - Cowboy Wok
« on: December 31, 2008, 07:32:23 AM »
Anyone use plow disc to cook with. I was at a Friends house a couple Saturdays ago. They had an Old Polw Disc mounted on a 55 gal barrel with a propane burner under it. They cooked all types of Veggies as well as Steak & Chicken. They heated tortillias around on the outside. Good eats. I was wondering is there any thing else but Mexican food cooked on them? Wishbone

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Plow Discs - Cowboy Wok
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 12:04:12 PM »
Aren't there holes in those things?  Scuse.  I've only seen plow discs on the plow.   ;)

I suppose one could use anything.  The Hopi use flat stones for baking their piki bread.
Mongolian stir fry is cooked on a 4' diameter steel disc.  East Indians use the side of a
clay oven for baking their bread.

We use our wok for deep frying, stir frying and steaming.  If that plow disc is deep
enough, it could be used for the same.  Being able to deep fry and steam makes
for more options for your cooking, if it don't have no holes.  ;D

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 03:46:16 PM »
I've seen a large disc fitted over all four elements of an electric stove.  Some very good Lebanese-Canadian friends used it to cook flat bread.  They don't bother anymore because most all ethnic food is almost universally available in Canada.

My wife is Cypriot-American, and is not a good cook - SHE IS AN ARTIST WITH FOOD, and I'm one lucky and well fed guy!

That said, Our Lebanese friend is an even better cook!.  She kept me & my family properly fed at least twice a week when I was an impoverished law student.  Even now our kids refer to their kids as cousins, and vicky-verky.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:22:47 PM »

Offline Branding Iron Bill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 07:09:18 PM »
A small metal plug and a mig welder will take care of that hole.  That's a no brainer

Corn masa gorditas and beef tripas in one of those discos, well, it just doesn't get any better than that.  Oh yea, topped with pico de gallo, and guacamole, of course.  Yum scrum!  Hello calories!  Not something you would want to eat every day.
Patrick  D.
AKA Branding Iron Bill SASS 2019
6th generation son of the Texas Republic since 1824
USFA CSS
SCORRS
RATS
A proud Henry owner.
STORM (Love my R-M 44's)

Offline Wishbone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 08:59:28 AM »
Yes, Singing Bear the Disc had the Center Holes welded shut. The one my friend has  measures 27" accross. Bigest Disc new I can find is 24". I going to get one & give to Son to take to school and weld it shut. Get out the Grinder & sandpaper and polish it up. I season it on Turkey fryer. With the curve in the Disc,I should be able Stir Fry too. Then I'll invite some friends over & cook something up. Wishbone

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 09:56:42 AM »
Wishbone, farmers back in Oklahoma used to use rollin plows,  blades up to 36 inches,  I haven't seen one of the plows in years, stopped using em because of fuel costs.  might do a google search for rollin plow blades.  see if anybody has any in stock.  exactly the same as disc blades only larger.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 11:26:31 AM »
Yes, Singing Bear the Disc had the Center Holes welded shut. The one my friend has  measures 27" accross. Bigest Disc new I can find is 24". I going to get one & give to Son to take to school and weld it shut. Get out the Grinder & sandpaper and polish it up. I season it on Turkey fryer. With the curve in the Disc,I should be able Stir Fry too. Then I'll invite some friends over & cook something up. Wishbone
Thanks.  :)  We see plows used in the pineapple fields and some of the
smaller veggie farms around, but don't give them much thought at all,
especially for using a blade for cooking.  Too easy to just go to the
nearest hardware store or any of the numerous Asian stores around here
to buy a good, steel wok.   ;) 

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 11:54:16 AM »
I knew a family in L. A. many years ago that had one that Abuelo had made when he was a young man.  It was fit to a round firebox affair and they fired it with wood.  This one was about 30 to 36 inches, and the hole was open; he had welded pieces of angle iron around it with small holes for the grease and stuff to dribble through onto the fire, but it kept food that was being cooked from slipping through, and it made a handy place to put a pan of something to heat up.  Abuela and Mama made their tortillas on it, too.  Necessity is the mother of invention.  They also had a smaller disc hung from a chain that was the "calling" bell; had a beautiful ring to it.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »
That seems like it would be a good piece of cooking equipment. I will have to bring one to the blacksmith and have him hammer weld the hole up.

Offline Russ McCrae

• Hat Creek Cattle Co., Front Porch Division
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 09:40:14 PM »
You can find them without the hole in the center punched at some tractor stores but you gotta look. I got a 24" without the hole in the middle with horseshoe handles from a guy and it is a single guys fryer. We've done everything in it mentioned and them some. Main dishes are deep frying, breakfast and Tex-mex but it cooks a mean pan fried steak if your into that (I LOVE steak from a skillet).

They're a great outdoor skillet if you don't want to heat up the house by cooking inside
"What's Good For Me Ain't Necessarily Good For the Weak Minded"

"I'm an admirer of good sense wherever I find it."

SASS #93813
STORM #335

Offline saltbush from oz

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 07:58:44 PM »
still use them down here in oz,just weld couple nuts on bottom to screw thread rod into
it for the legs
can i have a go now,is it my go yet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com