Author Topic: Upswept hammer for Uberti?  (Read 6272 times)

Offline John in AR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Upswept hammer for Uberti?
« on: November 12, 2015, 07:10:21 PM »
First, new member here; first post. (So be gentle...  ;D )
Are there any sources for a slightly-upswept hammer for the Uberti SA's?

Looking for one that is upswept & munden-esque. Something along these lines:

although I could totally do without the flowerdy grips..

Am really NOT looking for one of these fanning-only paddle hammers:

After recently handling a Uberti El Patron, I'm planning to pick one up in the next few weeks and would like to make this one change, ideally as close to drop-in as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Upswept hammer for Uberti?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 08:50:28 PM »
Nope that is a custom hammer for fast draw.  Completely useless for cowboy shooting as fanning is illegal.  Aftermarket CAS hammers are lower and wider not high and skinny.

Offline John in AR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 07:41:25 AM »
Not really looking as a fanning thing, I just think I would prefer the taller-than normal profile of the top one. (I'm somewhat of a semi-freakish oaf with large hands.)

Part of the reason I'm looking for a replacement is that while I think it would work better for me, I'm not certain of it, never having used one like that; and would like the option of switching back to the original if I'm wrong.

I may actually be able to get the same or similar benefit from a short-throw conversion; just looking into ways to keep the hammer from being so far back toward the backstrap at full cock.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:47:37 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 09:24:59 AM »
You can buy an extra hammer and have someone heat and bend it.  But, a short stroke kit is probably the way to go as it will keep the hammer further from the backstrap.  The hammer shown in your pictures is designed to be cocked by running your hand down the top of the frame and cocking the hammer with the side of your hand.  Sticking straight up like shown in the photos makes it very hard to cock with your thumb.  What kind of gun do you have?  The gun in the top photo is a Colt the one on the bottom is a Ruger.  The New Vaqueros have very high upswept hammers from the factory.  Have you tried shooting one?  Many people find them to high and install lower hammers.

Offline John in AR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 01:29:44 PM »
Don't have the gun yet; based on handling several lately I'm planning on ordering an El Patron in the next week or two.

I probably should have stressed it more strongly in the opening post, but I definitely do NOT want the straight-up fanning hammer as in the second pic. Would think (don't know for sure until I try it) that the style in the upper pic would work better for me, because with their normal hammers the colts & ubertis are awkward cocking simply because their hammers end up so low when they reach full-cock. I had an old model vaquero, bought back in 1995 or 96, that I didn't like mainly because of the caliber - it was a .357, and the small hole in the barrel & chambers left so much steel there that even with the short 4 5/8" barrel it felt muzzle-heavy and I never liked the balance of it. I haven't fired a New Model Vaquero, but I've handled a couple recently and have decided I'd rather stick with a gun that has the more traditional action-feel, such as the uberti's do.

{edit - what's a good source for a spare hammer to tinker with? I don't want to attempt any mods without having a spare on hand. Thanks}

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1227
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 02:44:40 PM »
...{edit - what's a good source for a spare hammer to tinker with? I don't want to attempt any mods without having a spare on hand. Thanks}

vtigunparts.com

Offline Johnny Dingus

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 07:02:13 PM »
Get your self the new Eliminator 8 from Cimarron.  Here is a picture of the difference in hammers a Alchimista it has a lowered hammer but normal stroke and the Eliminator 8 with a lowered hammer but short stroke from factory.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com