Author Topic: Various folders  (Read 4328 times)

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Various folders
« on: May 18, 2010, 05:26:04 AM »
These are all Sheffield made for the American market.

The center 2 large ones are believed to be for display and the bottom "D" guard was made for J. Curley & Brothers of New York.

Makers include;  Westonholm, Davey, W & S Butcher and others.

I am sure some of you will have this book , "The Steel Canvas". It has pride of place in my reference library. I have spent months just study ing a few pages
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline Messerist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Various folders
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 05:32:21 AM »
Jumpin' Jehosaphat!   :o  Those are some pretty big folders.  I wonder what the history is behind the horse-head pommel.  I have an old pukko with a similar pommel.  Was it purely for decoration?

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 05:42:59 AM »
Messerist, I have not been able to find any definitive info on that so far but I am still looking. I believe this type of decoration came about after Jim Bowies  fame was wide spread and had to do with his favorite boost of being 'half horse half alligator'.
I will keep searching.

The two big ones are 22 1/2 inches when open.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:50:12 AM »

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:39:43 AM »
Horsehead pommels go back much farther than the early 1800's - to at least the Romans here's just one such Roman Pommel:
http://www.time-lines.co.uk/roman-horsehead-dagger-pommel-015226-26501-0.html
They appear world wide, especially popular in India and the Middle East and other horse "cultures"

As for the half horse half alligator line, Jim Bowie would have been a Johnny come lately to the term. The first published usage that I know of was Samuel Woodworth's "The Hunter's of Kentucky" written in 1812 - http://www.contemplator.com/america/hunter.html.
It became the campaign song for Andy Jackson's presidential run.
Mike Fink, was one of the most famous to apply the term to himself and it was a term often applied to the rough and ready river boatmen and other frontier types of the early 1800s, including:
"I'm half-horse, half-alligator and a little attached with snapping turtle." - Davy Crockett
The halfhorse/half gator pommels on the other hand, most often seen on Sheffield bowies, are definitely post Mr. Bowie and the infamous Sandbar fight. Sheffield knives ran the gamut from excellent to bad with many knockoffs - in terms of today, think quality factory made knives such as Gerber/Buck, etc. and then the el cheapo knockoffs from China and Pakistan........

BTW - there's a much larger picture of that oversize folder with the tortoise shell grips in Flayderman's "The Bowie Knife" - folders like these are always interesting but I often wonder just how usable some/many were - but then again the "coolness" factor has always been part of the human race.......
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline KidTerico

• kidterico
  • Top Active Citizen
  • I,m to small to turn the other cheek.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 09:01:48 AM »
GB another great pict, Wouldnt mind haveing a few of them. Thanks for showing. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 09:23:35 AM »
Neat picture. Some very nice folders in that lot. A fella would need some mighty big pockets to carry some of them beautys!! ;D

Shotgun
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »
They're generally something carried in the vest/saddlebag/warbag - and many of them had chamois leather cases, too - with clasp closures like those seen on coin purses.

Look at Levine's Guide and the old trade catalogs for the hardware suppliers, and you'll see excellent examples.

'Some' are sturdy as hell - with strong backsprings and great lock-up - even though they weren't lockbacks.

I have a beauty - made by 'American Shear and Knife Co.' in the 1870's - with a clip-point blade, Rosewood scales and nickle-silver bolsters - the blade's etched with 'TICKLER'...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 03:02:14 PM »
Boestin and not showin??? Tsk tsk tsk..Sorta like gettin a hound dog with with a nose cold..he can howl he just can't tree..  ;)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 03:10:30 PM »
Not boasting - just stating a fact.

The thing is - I'm far, far away from my collection at the moment.

When I return home - I'll see what I can post.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 05:16:44 PM »
Ran across this a couple days ago, date not exact but it's listed as from the 1880's in The Duke University collection of advertising:

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 07:52:14 PM »
St. George, I would appreciate seeing that one. I know there have been many knives made with the word "tickler" in some form or other on them but I never get tired of seeing another one.

Del, thanks for the post of the advertising that is really interesting . Wouldn't it be great to be able to buy those at that price.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 11:35:11 PM »
That broadside is an excellent example of what one will see if they can find one of the old trade catalogs - the illustrations will fairly jump off the page.

My  'American Shear and Knife Co.' is a swell-center jack, with a blade measuring 4" - OAL 9 1/4".

I'll probably post it here, but only after I've done the article for NCOWS' magazine -  'The Shootist'.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com