Author Topic: California shootings  (Read 7487 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
California shootings
« on: June 10, 2013, 02:32:41 PM »
Just saw a TV clip on the recent California shooting rampage. The twenty-three year old shooter is said to have had a lengthy history of mental issues.

This begs the question - did he obtain his firearms BEFORE he developed these issues or after he was diagnosed? If it was the latter, he obviously did not have his guns confiscated by mental health authorities for his own safety as well as that of the public. Either way, the system failed.

Or, did he obtain his guns on the black market? One shown in the TV clip was an AR type and what appeared to be a Remingtom repro cap & ball revolver! If so, look to find cap & ball guns on the 'bad gun' list in Kalifornia ..... ;>)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: California shootings
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 04:24:25 PM »
They will have to prove to me that those were his.Look like stolin guns they threw in there for eye candy. >:(I do believe he was another muslim,but i don't believe they said so ,just what i gathered by the name.There is something really weird about all this,just can't quite put my finger on it :( :( :-X
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »
As long as the policy of the state of California is to disarm potential victims they can expect more shootings like this. The type of gun really doesn't matter if the victims can't defend themselves.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:39:58 AM »

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 05:13:47 AM »
As long as the policy of the state of California is to disarm potential victims they can expect more shootings like this. The type of gun really doesn't matter if the victims can't defend themselves.

Correct.  But I fear this tragic event will only ensure that the pending gun and restrictions winding through the  legislature in California is passed and signed by the governor.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 05:19:24 AM »
PJ,   The mental health system in this country has very little power to deal with dangerous or potentially dangerous individuals.  We are not able to "confiscate" guns from patients.  The only way we can even inform the police of a dangerous individual is if the person makes direct threats toward an identifiable individual or group of people for fear of violating federal law or being sued for breech of patient confidentiality.  We then have a "duty" to inform the police and the individual who is the focus of the threat.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 10:36:11 AM »
Deadeye

My post was poorly worded. We have the same system, whereby a health care professional would be the one to take steps deemed necessary to safeguard an individual and the public regarding a firearms concern.

Unfortunately, the police will also act on a tip from a concerned citizen, which opens all gun owners to a search & seizure process.
This is easily abused by vindictive people and the onus then falls upon the individual to disprove the claim in court.

This is a little too reminiscent of the Nazi era for the comfort zone of many.

PJ,   The mental health system in this country has very little power to deal with dangerous or potentially dangerous individuals.  We are not able to "confiscate" guns from patients.  The only way we can even inform the police of a dangerous individual is if the person makes direct threats toward an identifiable individual or group of people for fear of violating federal law or being sued for breech of patient confidentiality.  We then have a "duty" to inform the police and the individual who is the focus of the threat.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #C31 SASS #3740 NRA GAF #394 5th Minn. Infry
  • SASS #: 3640
  • NCOWS #: C31
  • GAF #: 934
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 12:03:19 PM »
Here is what I gotta wonder about the media reports. It is claimed that he had 1300 rounds on his person. Good lord, does anyone realize how heavy 1300 rounds are? Thats (45) - 30rd magazines!!! How do you begin to hang 45 maginzes on your person even with the latest MOLLUS gear? One loaded 30rd magazine is approx 1.1 lb X 45 = 49.5lbs of ammo plus weapon. I realize the "suspect" was 23yrs old and probably in good shape and that weight is what our boys in the sandbox carry everyday. Still..............1300 rds?
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 12:08:35 PM »
We are so used to seeing propaganda news we just shrug our shoulders and think "yea right" who the heck ya gonna call and complain to??? You would be on the phone everyday all day long..
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 12:28:55 PM »
The media in Canada once reported on the seizure of a "sniper rifle" and" thousands of rounds of ammunition" from an elderly man after a complaint from his wife following a domestic dispute. There was no suggestion of firearms misuse, just a heated discussion.

Turns out his "sniper rifle" was a 7.62mm target rifle he used in the rifle matches of the BCRA/DCRA and the "thousands of rounds of ammunition" were a couple of bricks of Eley .22LR target ammo for his Anschutz .22 and some IVI 7.62mm ball ammo issued to BCRA members. The guns were returned after due process.

Every report regarding a firearms incident needs to be regarded with the utmost suspicion as it will be riddled with errors and misinformation.

Here is what I gotta wonder about the media reports. It is claimed that he had 1300 rounds on his person. Good lord, does anyone realize how heavy 1300 rounds are? Thats (45) - 30rd magazines!!! How do you begin to hang 45 maginzes on your person even with the latest MOLLUS gear? One loaded 30rd magazine is approx 1.1 lb X 45 = 49.5lbs of ammo plus weapon. I realize the "suspect" was 23yrs old and probably in good shape and that weight is what our boys in the sandbox carry everyday. Still..............1300 rds?

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »
Every report regarding a firearms incident needs to be regarded with the utmost suspicion as it will be riddled with errors and misinformation.
And the sad thing is that even when the reports are shown to be incorrect, there is very rarely, any sort of correction forethcoming. So the voters that dont bother to learn facts, just "know" that XYZ firearm/magazine etc is obviously to blame and needs to be severly restricted. I have tried to calmly discuss facts with the so called "progressives" and am consistantly hit with such an emotionally charged indignant anger that it does no good to continue the "discussion". I believe they know  that their argument is not supported by facts and use the old "your best defense is a good offense" theory. Hard to get someone like that to be rational. Unfortunately, these are the voters that are putting progressive liberals in office. I shall get off my soapbox now.
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »
harleydavis said;  "I shall get off my soapbox now."

If only to protect yourself from online sniffing by NSA.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 05:26:29 PM »
harleydavis said;  "I shall get off my soapbox now."

If only to protect yourself from online sniffing by NSA.
You got it exactly!! Probably said too much already
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 05:45:20 PM »
Guys, if you really think and feel that way, the game is already lost.

'Big Brother' may well be monitoring every gun related forum topic as well as cell phone communications (and I believe that they are), but when you are afraid to speak out against anti-gun hype and propaganda, they have succeeded in muzzling you.

This again, is reminiscent of the Gestapo and SS reign of fear and terror. Years ago, anyone who espoused these sentiments was regarded as an alarmist, a conspiracy theorist. Now if you don't think this way, you are too dull or disengaged to give a damn.

I am a 70 year old sober alcoholic (27 years this August), more recently a three year cancer survivor, served my country for 12 years during the Cold War, and I refuse to live out my remaining time in fear of anyone or anything - especially my government and it's agents.

"All we have to fear is fear itself." President F.D. Roosevelt

You got it exactly!! Probably said too much already

Offline griswold

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 07:11:57 PM »
They will have to prove to me that those were his.Look like stolin guns they threw in there for eye candy. >:(I do believe he was another muslim,but i don't believe they said so ,just what i gathered by the name.There is something really weird about all this,just can't quite put my finger on it :( :( :-X

He is or was, but the media quashed it really fast.
Griswold,
The Griswold was favored by my Great Grand Pa James Henry Story who rode with the 7th Georgia Cavalry.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 11:24:23 PM »
Here recently in my county we had another shooting/killing. 
A woman high on meth broke into a house and stole an old pump .22 and "a quarter of a hundred rounds of hollow-point ammunition,"  than proceeded to shoot her meth dealer to death.  The police were called and a brief shootout followed, the sheriff deputy walking out on his own two feet, the woman with a fatal dose of lead poisoning to the chest. 
Fortunately, the "Trinity Journal" is a fairly objective newspaper, tending to be more Republican when it takes sides on a matter, so we got a strait story on it (I actually listen to the emergency service radio frequencies, so knew beforehand.).
Unfortunately, the "Record Searchlight" is a liberal paper and got the story.  The people of neighboring  Shasta county are being fed anti-gun hype about how an "innocent businessman was brutally shot by a crazed woman with an assault weapon."   How did the pump-gun become an assault weapon? ??? ??? 
It's all a bunch of hype to get Joe Shmow politician in office by building a story and campaigning on it.  It's what FDR did in the 30's, it's what is happening now.  I suppose it's not provable, but is it disprovable either?

--TK

(Should I have opened my mouth here at all?)
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 12:30:26 AM »
Our paper is really bad at it..
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 11:38:27 PM »
Oh, so that's how it works.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 08:52:20 PM »
OK!! Who farted! :P :-X
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 11:23:38 PM »
Well Bugs, I would like to know how a sixty year old .22 pump-gun became an Assault Weapon.  Pistol Grip: nope.  Barrel shrouding: zip.   Detachable mag without odd tool-removal-thing and capable of holding more than ten rounds: nope.  According to California law, it's not an assault weapon.   How did it all the sudden become one?  Isn't that a little strange?

By the way....How is 1 Corinthians 13:11 applicable to this situation?  It is referring to spiritual maturity and the relation to love and faith. 

--TK

Offline Okie Sawbones

• Active citizen
    • Wine Lovers' Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 10:33:15 AM »
I have a minor in journalism from many moons ago. The garbage that is printed today is just that, garbage. CNN has become nothing more than a tabloid. Major rags print half-truths to push their liberal agenda. True journalists, be it in print or broadcasted on TV, would be appalled at the trash spewed out on a daily basis. Edward R. Murrow and Ernie Pyle are spinning in their graves.
Okie

NRA Life, VFW Life, DAV Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com