Author Topic: WANTED: 7/8 Size Sixgun in S/S  (Read 5115 times)

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
WANTED: 7/8 Size Sixgun in S/S
« on: June 20, 2005, 02:11:51 PM »
Any pards out there know of any manufacturer that makes a 7/8 scale, 38 cal, model 73 pistol in Stainless Steel? My wife wants a new pair of pistols something like the Cimarron Model P, Jr or the EMF Stallion but they are only available blued or nickel. The closest I can find is the Ruger Single Six but the biggest caliber for it is .32. I suspect they don't exist, but maybe someone knows something I don't. Much appreciated.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Whar's thet dadblasted Yankee?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: WANTED: 7/8 Size Sixgun in S/S
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 02:18:38 PM »
Will that's a toughy. I've been all over Navy, Cimarron, EMF, & Taylors' websites & none of them are offering it in SS. Looks like she'll have to settle for blue or nickel or go to the Single Six in .32. That is a good idea though. You ought to email Uberti & put a bug in their ear. I bet they'd sell a bunch of em. They call it the Stallion. Their address is:  info@ubertireplicas.it
God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 02:32:48 PM »
That's a great idea, Col. I just sent 'em a note. Thanks for the suggestion and the link.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:31:09 PM »

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 03:01:31 PM »
Hey, have her try out those guns you just won at Western States!  Congrats!

Doc

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 03:14:30 PM »
Don't worry, Doc. She'll try 'em. LOL, she collared my new Hartfords to shoot at Fernley. Thanks on the pistols. I didn't shoot up to your speed (good job, by the way) but I got to bring home those high-dollar pistols and rig. I guess that makes me the High-Dollar Drifter, now. I didn't cross paths with you there, but there's always another match. Maybe I'll even see you at one of the local shoots. Good shootin'.

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 11:59:36 PM »
Shucks Marshal....what's wrong with shootin' a lil' wimpy .32?  I've been shooting .32-20 in my irons since I got into the crazy sport and I love 'em!  Less recoil and iffen you go the the right place the ammo is cheaper.  Sides that...those lil' .32 rounds hit the targets just as good as those big, high powered, hand held Elephant Cannons!  On top of that.....I don't think a real cowboy ever carried a stainless steel sixgun.  He's probably say one of those was for a New Orleans Fancyman.  No offence to you folks that carry them!  Let the wife launch a few rounds out of a .32-20 sixshooter and see what she thinks. 

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 12:25:34 AM »
Thanks, Arap. She did try a .32 H&R Single Six and liked it but she wants to stay with the same caliber so she can use the same stuff in all her guns. Since her rifle is a .38, she's decided to stay with that caliber. All of the sudden, that eliminated the s/s idea unless she goes with full-sized SAA's. Instead, she has chosen the Cimarron Model P Jr's as her next pair. I guess Nickel will be the order of the day for them since the only small-framed stainless guns I could find were the Single Sixes. Ah, well, if they come out with a stainless version some day, she can sell them and change over.

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 11:18:13 PM »
Marshal Will.  That's the same reason I picked the .32-20 caliber for my sixshooters.  When I first came into the sport I had my grandad's old Winchester Model 1893 in the .32-20.  I thought about going a higher caliber for my sixshooters, but then thought that I'd have to buy two different kinds of ammo.  So I located and bought a pair of Navy Arms .32-20's for my sixshooters.  I've caught some fun flack about my "wimpy" guns, but I still have fun with them.  I have added another rifle.  I located and traded for an original Colt Lightning in .32.20.  It needed a new barrel sleeve and some work on the action, but that's done now.  I see the logic about going for the .38 in the pistols.  when you find them...post pictures!

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 11:34:36 PM »
when you find them...post pictures!
I'll do that. They should be at the shop by the later part of next week, then we do the paperwork. It'll be a couple weeks, anyway. After that they get an action job and new grips. Pics will be worth something after that.

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 12:08:29 AM »
Thanks!  Sorry I missed ya at Western States.  I'll be down in Piru in August for W3G.  Are you gonna make that match?  It's a ton of fun!

Good luck on your search.

Doc

Book Miser

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 09:04:29 AM »
Kid, you can bet your favorite boots that neither a real cowboy nor a N'awlins fancyman carried a stainless steel gun. I can't recall when stainless steel was invented, but t'warn't until the 20th century, and IIRC the first stainless pistola in production did not happen until just after WWII. S&W, I think.

But, except for a few folks, cowboy shootin' isn't about hysterical authenticity, and those few folk always seem to be unhappy about something, usually someone else's gear. Too  bad for them.  :D

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 09:17:26 AM »
I won't be able to get to the Piru match. This coming year I want to start making a few other shoots. Maybe we'll hook up at Manteca or something.

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 12:24:44 PM »
I'll do that. They should be at the shop by the later part of next week, then we do the paperwork. It'll be a couple weeks, anyway. After that they get an action job and new grips. Pics will be worth something after that.

And...speaking of grips....here's a famous historical quote from General Patton:
As you know, he carried a .45 caliber sixshooter on many occasions.  Someone once asked him why he didn't have pearl handles on that weapon.  His answer was:  "Only a pimp would carry a pearl handled gun!"
I'd like to change the grips on my sixshooters to the staghorn ones, but Navy Arms doesn't sell them, so I'm open for suggestions.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 01:37:25 PM »

And...speaking of grips....here's a famous historical quote from General Patton:
As you know, he carried a .45 caliber sixshooter on many occasions.  Someone once asked him why he didn't have pearl handles on that weapon.  His answer was:  "Only a pimp would carry a pearl handled gun!"
I'd like to change the grips on my sixshooters to the staghorn ones, but Navy Arms doesn't sell them, so I'm open for suggestions.

Try Gripmaker grips. I have them on a number of mine. Great stag look and close to indestructible. People still comment on mine because they look like the real thing. http://www.gripmaker.com/ . They even age like the real thing. Here is what mine looked like after a couple seasons.

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 06:24:39 PM »
Hey Will,

The Ruger site says that their New Vaqueros are avaialble is Stainless in .357 which will take a .38 Special round.  You might want to check them out.  The new ones have the smaller grip frame and with a short 4 5/8 barrel might be just what the little lady is looking for!  You might even be able to get ones with birdshead grips which would make them even easier to handle.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 06:31:04 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Tom. She has tried one, though, and it was still a bit heavy for her hand. She has decided on B/CC Cimarron Model P Jr's. We ordered a pair for her the other day. They should be in this week.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com