Author Topic: Shorting a 58 Remington barrel  (Read 3965 times)

Offline Tater Peale

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shorting a 58 Remington barrel
« on: November 22, 2016, 05:22:02 AM »
Oh wise brethren of the smoke and flame,

I'm gathering up the guns I need to shoot SASS. My plan is to use 58 Remington conversions for the pistols, not conversion cylinders but factory conversions. I went with the 58 as I have had a moderate amount of experience with the C & B ones and they fit my hand and shooting style and we all know black powder is the only true powder. Plus they are so much prettier than those four letter guns.  ;D Any way I plan to use the 5.5" versions but I have recently come across one which I may be able to get for a good price that is an 8" barrel that came from Longhunters shop. I was wondering how difficult it would be to locate a gunsmith to convert it into a 5.5", and a rough estimate on the cost. Some of my reasons for wanting to shorten it is I think it would point better plus my wife wants to shoot some as well with it untilshe decides what guns she wats and the shorter barrel would lighten it up. Finally after looking at a bunch of different holsters the selection for an 8" is very limited. I realize that I could have pretty much anything I decided on custom made but don't want to spend that kind of money until I have settled on exactly what I want in both guns and holsters. I have seen Bottom Dealing Mike's video of the Remington he shortened and I'm not quite comfortable with my ability to do it.  I'm not dead set on having to shorten it but think I would prefer it. So any advise would be appreciated.

Tater Peale
SASS 105015

In one minute Ned, I plan to kill you, or take you back to Ft. Smith to be hanged at Judge Parkers convenience, so which will it be. --- Deputy U.S. Marshal Heck Thomas
Tater Peale

I mean to kill you in one minute,  Ned, or see you hang in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which will it be.----Deputy U.S. Marshal  Heck Thomas

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 128
Re: Shorting a 58 Remington barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »
Not to Rain on your Parade.  Well ........ actually I am.  Cutting down an 1858 Remington involves considerably more than just lopping off the barrel.  Ejector rod need shortened, Support Web needs shortened, New dovetail for the front sight and a new dovetail for the Ejector Rod Hanger.  Re-Blue??  Taint gonna be cheap.  By the time you have the gun cut (and done right), you'll actually have more in the gun than if you went out and bought a new one, with a 5 1/2 inch barrel.  

Before you decide, I'd suggest contacting Hoof Hearted (Gary Barnes) and get a WAG (Military acronym for "Wild Ass Guess") on the actual cost.  Be sure and take your Heart Meds first  :o

Coffinmaker

Offline Tater Peale

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 01:48:06 PM »
Thanks Coffin!

That's why I asked even before I bought the gun, I knew you guys on here would know if it was feasible or not. I kind of suspected it would be a problem. The price isn't good enough to go to the trouble. As usual it's better to just buy what you want rather than try to buy something and make it into what you want. Thanks for the help.

Tater
Tater Peale

I mean to kill you in one minute,  Ned, or see you hang in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which will it be.----Deputy U.S. Marshal  Heck Thomas

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:30:02 PM »

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 02:23:16 PM »
Shortening a barrel is a LOT easier than lengthening one. . .  ;)

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 07:18:22 AM »
Gee Dick, a little heat and they can be stretched out a bit.
They just don't seem to shoot the same.  ??? 

National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 11:40:18 AM »
Gee Dick, a little heat and they can be stretched out a bit.
They just don't seem to shoot the same.  ??? 

Depends on what brand of vise grips you use.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com