Author Topic: Lee pro 1000 kit ????  (Read 7986 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
Lee pro 1000 kit ????
« on: July 10, 2012, 02:15:31 PM »
 This looks like a good deal ,especially for a small time reloader like myself, would like all the " GOOD,the BAD, the UGLY, info. also the lee hand loader ( it does reprime,,,right ?), it might be better suited for my purpose.

All i have are 44/40's.       

hootnix.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Lee pro 1000 kit ????
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 02:56:51 PM »
I have a Lee Pro 1000 (had 2 sold one), Lee Classic turret, Lee Reloader single stage and a Lee hand loader. Now my Lee Pro is set up for either 9mm or 45 ACP which are my daily carry guns though not at the same time. I use the Lee Classic for 45 Colt black powder as not as much is going on. I love the hand press for meets so I can use the Universal decapping die to remove the caps then dump in soapy water before I get home. I use the single stage for using the Lee Bulge buster for my 45 ACP brass as well as the decapping die. I have no complaints with the Lee Pro as it works great for me but then I bought mine used and learned how to use it with the videos from this site. http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/default.html a bit campy from time to time but covers every thing to make one work perfectly. If I was buying again for the first press I would recommend the Lee Classic but I started with a pair of Lee Pro 1000. Later sold one and got every thing I need for the Lee Classic. Now I'm glad I have them all regardless as each does some things better.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 04:26:11 PM »
Howdy, joe,, thanks  for the info., i think i could get along w/ the 1000, i sure am lookin at it hard. That being said, if you know anyone that ain't getten along with theirs ,!! have them pony express me. I realy like the set-up in the pictures , again thanks.

hootmix.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:02:24 PM »

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 08:47:47 PM »
Howdy, joe,, thanks  for the info., i think i could get along w/ the 1000, i sure am lookin at it hard. That being said, if you know anyone that ain't getten along with theirs ,!! have them pony express me. I realy like the set-up in the pictures , again thanks.
 hootmix.

I would highly suggest you also look at the Lee Classic Turret. Just a bit slower but will take 4 dies instead of 3. It will also work as a semi progress in that you do one bullet at a time however 4 pulls of the handle you have a finished round ready for another shell. Add to that there priming system and the standard powder system and almost as fast as the progressive. I might add you can change sizes quicker especially priming system and use it like a single stage by removing the index rod. Also has the best system I've seen on any press for dealing with spent primers when removed.

In closing I also suggest if you want to buy new use https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision/lee-presses/lee-pro-1000/ as their prices and shipping costs are lower than Midway with average 4 day delivery from the placing of the order to my door. Just don't order if out of stock as that is the one thing can delay a shipment. Also if buying simple parts that aren't covered due to breakage use the USPS option it is cheaper still.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 06:05:32 AM »
I have 6 LEE 1000 presses. You used to be able to buy them for $100 complete with the dies, all set and ready to go. So I have the following units set up...45ACP, 9mm, 40S&W, 38sp, 45LC, 44spl

For the money, they load a good round...........BUT...

You had better be mechanically inclined.......being an Ex Ferrari mechanic can't hurt!

If you think you will easily be converting this machine from one type of cartridge to another, you will need the patience of Jobe! It is not an easy task.

VERY finicky machines. If everything isn't just right and nice and clean, they will make you tear your hair out. Be sure the primer feed ramp is always full or it won't deposit a primer. Be sure the chain for the powder measure is perfect of it won't drop powder properly and you'll get squib loads.

This ain't no Dillon 650.......and now that they are pushing $200 I'm not sure I'd just save a few $$ more and move to a Dillon with a few extra shell plates etc.
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 07:37:37 AM »
You will find mixed opinions here on the PRO1000.

My opinion was formed after I had a primer feeder blow up in my face.  It is all plastic and faces the operator - sort of like a Claymore Mine. There is no metal shield between you and it either.  I was extremely luck to have no permanent scars or loss of vision, mostly likely helped because there were only 15-20 primers in the magazine - not 100 or more.

I had two at the time, and I immediately sold them both - dies and all - for $200 total and replaced them with a Dillion RL550B. The RL550 primer magazine is much less likely to have a problem, and if it does, it is shielded with a secondary metal tube and it faces up (away from the operator)

The standard LEE turret press (not the 1000) is great. I got one as my first press, and I still use it a lot for calibers that I do not load large volumes of.  I can't say enough good about it . I also have a LEE cast classic that I use for loading 12 G brass hulls and it is also a great machine.

I just think that the PRO1000 isn't so great.

Note that I did not even begin to start talking about it's finickiness to get operating smoothly.

The Dillions just simply work.

Rick

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:00:21 AM »
If you currently are a reloader and are moving up to a progressive then IMO a Dillon or a Hornady Lock n Load may be the best bet.  They are more expensive but......there is a reason.  If you are not a reloader, then get a single stage or turret press until you have taught yourself the basics, then up grade.  If you shoot very much you will always have a need for a single stage.   
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 09:05:02 AM »
Pard's, i just want to load,,and i really don't think this 1000 will work for me. I'm no green horn,in the late 60s-70s ,i loaded on an old pacific "C" press, poured the lead,resized did it all,had a fall'nout w/ the boss lost it all , i'm starting again(best not to think i still" know it all") ya'lls advice today is what i'm after,,,,and i tip my hat to ya for your honest answers.

your pard hootnix.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 09:10:15 AM »
I have a LEE turret press with auto index and the 4 hole turrets. I have used it since about 1995 and loaded thousands and thousands of loads for a dozen different calibers.  Mostly I load 44-40, using LEE dies, LEE factory crimp, and LEE powder dump.  I can do 200 rounds an hour.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »
I have a LEE turret press with auto index and the 4 hole turrets. I have used it since about 1995 and loaded thousands and thousands of loads for a dozen different calibers.  Mostly I load 44-40, using LEE dies, LEE factory crimp, and LEE powder dump.  I can do 200 rounds an hour.

I'm actually using the FCD made by Lee and sold exclusively by http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=53_54 I use it on 45 Colt and the regular FCD on 9mm and 45 acp.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 08:27:43 PM »
Actually, more than once I have loaded ammo for a match for my pard because his Dillon locked up! 

With the 4 hole turrets and auto index is better than the three hole with auto index.  I have loaded with this turret press (some 3 hole, and some 4 hole): .38 S&W, .223, 30 carbine, .30-30, .38-55, .40-65, 9mm, 45 ACP, .44 Russian, .44 Colt, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .38-40, .44-40, .45 Schofield. .45 Colt, .56-56 Spencer, .56-50 Spencer, .45-70 and 45-120 (without auto index), and a few more...  I have load smokeless with auto disk powder dump and BP with a funnel in the charging die.  I LOVE MY LEE!  A POOR MAN'S PROGRESSIVE.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 08:40:25 PM »
Actually, more than once I have loaded ammo for a match for my pard because his Dillon locked up! 

With the 4 hole turrets and auto index is better than the three hole with auto index.  I have loaded with this turret press (some 3 hole, and some 4 hole): .38 S&W, .223, 30 carbine, .30-30, .38-55, .40-65, 9mm, 45 ACP, .44 Russian, .44 Colt, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .38-40, .44-40, .45 Schofield. .45 Colt, .56-56 Spencer, .56-50 Spencer, .45-70 and 45-120 (without auto index), and a few more...  I have load smokeless with auto disk powder dump and BP with a funnel in the charging die.  I LOVE MY LEE!  A POOR MAN'S PROGRESSIVE.

I've loaded Pyrodex and black powder with the updated Lee Powder system using the Lee Pro type round feeder instead of the square type with my classic turret. I've also used the funnel and dipper method with it. It does require a 2 disk system though for 45 Colt to load.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 09:48:37 PM »
My turret press is the older 3 hole type, is the press different or just the turret?  If one were to buy th new press would the 3 hole turrets work?

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 11:14:41 PM »
Lee has an adapter kit to change a 3 hole to 4 hole.  Has a turret and a new collar the turret rides in for about $20  I have the turrets and collars for both 3 hole and 4 hole.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline longinosoap

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 07:13:20 AM »
Thumbs up on the Classic Turret press. Used a Lee single stage for two years which worked fine when I shot one match per month. Learned a lot on that press. Upgraded to the turret and now shooting up to four per month and I can keep up with the ammo needed. I load 44-40, 45LC, 38, 357, and 45ACP. Quick change of turrets and good to go.

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 08:39:59 AM »
I have used most all of Lee's products since about 1969 and some are good and some are pure trash.
I shoot Frontier Cartridge class with the 44WCF and use a Dillon 550 B. If you buy one that has all the goodies you are looking at $700 not what was posted earlier.
The Lee Cast Classic Turret is your best bet for loading your cartridges at an economical price. It is now sold in kit form but that all depends on how you load. The 4 hole turret is best as you should always crimp your bullets in a seprate stage. It takes only seconds to pull one turret and set another in place for a different caliber.
Purchase a roller type handle to make it better. You may also purchase from Dillon the 450 powder die and an adapter and use any powder measure you want. That is how I loaded black powder on mine at one time.
They are not fast but they will keep you in SASS ammo.
They are about $120 now IIRC.
They have a small square plastic piece that controls the turret to advance. I will suggest you buy a few spares from Lee.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 09:05:37 AM »
I might mention that about 3 years after I got the turret press with auto index, I thought I would step up to the LEE PRO-1000. I got one to try.  It was a jam-o-matic.  I spent more time screwing around with its malfunctions (primer feed, shell fedd, etc). I was glad I kept the turret press with auto index, since it was 100% reliable.  I have heard good things about the LEE Loadmaster press, though the price is up in Dillon territory.

The press they call the 4 hole press, used to be a only a 3 hole press, available with or without auto index.  In the late 90s or early 2000s, they came up with the 4 hole turret conversion kit which had a turret, 4 hole auto index fixture, and 4 hole collar.  The "Classic Turret Press" is a sturdier version that was introduced after the original.  I thought of getting it, but the original is still working like a champ after 17 years, so why replace it?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline sharps1863

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 12:07:46 AM »
 I have never used the  Pro-1000, thought about getting one and decided to stick with my old up-graded Lee turret press.
 It does everything I need it to do. It is simple and not complicated to use. I have found most of the time simple is better.
 2 thumps up for FS-Reloading. They cannot be beat for cost and service.
Now a member of the Spencer Shooting Society #430
Shooter of 1-Trapdoor Springfield 1- Maynard Carbine- 1- Brunswick Rifle- 1-.50cal Hawkin- 2 -1858 Remingtons- 1- 1851 Colt Sheriff-1- 2nd model Dragoon- 1 .75cal Brown Bess Carbine-and now 1- Armi Sport 56/50 Spencer
 Maybe I like Black-powder guns too Much

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 10:30:43 PM »
Well o'l son's,,enjoyed all the info., good & bad, so for right now ,,,i got me a lee hand loader& a set of RCBS dies( cowboy dies) ' I LIKE IT' , easy to use, and as someone already 'said', you can take it with you anywhere. So for now, or until i can save up some more alum., cans,i are content!!!

hootnix.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Well o'l son's,,enjoyed all the info., good & bad, so for right now ,,,i got me a lee hand loader& a set of RCBS dies( cowboy dies) ' I LIKE IT' , easy to use, and as someone already 'said', you can take it with you anywhere. So for now, or until i can save up some more alum., cans,i are content!!!

Nothing wrong with the hand loader by Lee, have one and carry it with me to meets. Just a one step at a time so not a speed deamon by any stretch but works with any type bullet I would shoot.

hootnix.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com