Author Topic: Crimping advice needed  (Read 1957 times)

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Crimping advice needed
« on: December 07, 2014, 11:29:03 AM »
I reload for the basic Winchester calibers such as 25-20, 38-40 and 44-40 and 56-50 Spencer with varying luck in getting the
the good tight crimp I would like for these rounds that go in tubular magazines. I thought I would go with the factory crimp
dies that Lee makes and use it as a separate station. I still consider myself as a beginner and would like advice on what has
worked for you. I shoot only lead bullets.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
Re: Crimping advice needed
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 11:57:29 AM »
I have the LEE factory collet crimp dies for .38-40 & .44-40. I highly recommend them.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 12:30:56 PM »
I've been using Lee's FC die's for all six revolver calibers I load for and three different caliber military bolt rifles I shoot cast bullets in around around seven yrs now. Wouldn't go back to using the regular crimping method of using the standard method of seat and crimp at the same time. Before buying the Lee FC dies, I seated and crimped in two separate operations, but the Lee's crimp is so good, I haven't used the seater/crimp die to crimp since. With the old method, once in a while a case that may be a tad longer than the rest would result in a crimp that would result in a slight bulge. The Lee's will allow the minor difference(although no excuse not to trim cases or keep a check on them). I don't load any of your rifle calibers, but I do have a 357 and two 44 caliber lever rifles that I shoot some of the pistol calibers for, no problems. I did read some time ago on another forum of a shooter/reloader that reloaded calibers such as yours with their bootle-neck style cases using Lee's FC die's and was extremely pleased with them. Like Sir Charles, I highly recommend them. 
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:11:01 AM »

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 06:08:38 PM »
Thanks for the input from Sir Charles and Crow Choker. I have several of the Lee FC dies on the way and
Look forward to using them. I know it would be a lot less expensive to settle on one or two calibers but I
Like them all and enjoy each and every one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com