Author Topic: How do you tell people about CAS  (Read 6560 times)

Offline Stump Water

• I ain't gonna worry about it.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How do you tell people about CAS
« on: October 17, 2004, 06:31:35 PM »
Didn't want to hi-jack another thread so.....

You stop at the store on the way to a shoot and you get the question.

"Why the funny duds?"

You try to explain what you're up to. 

"Oh.  Reinacting!"

"No... this is a live-fire shooting match.  We use guns from the 18th century or replicas thereof. You have to dress, more or less, from that period.... yadda yadda."

"You shoot at each other!!?"

"No... we shoot at steel targets. The ranges are from 7 yards for pistol... blah blah."

"You do that around here!!?

"Yes.. local club... yadda."

How does y'all get the message across?

Then there's the folks that know you participate in some type of shooting competition.

"How's the quick-draw going?"   ::)

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
Re: How do you tell people about CAS
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 07:23:38 PM »
Well it's easy for me, I am a bartender, lots of customers and we all keep up on what's going on in our lives, to a ceratin extent anyway.

I show'em pictures of my guns, gun cart, tell them all about the matches, practice sessions and so forth.

I take special days off each month to shoot, no pay and they all know when I'm gone and they all are excited to hear about it when I get back.  It's kind of like a community event.

Got the SASS sticker on the back of my rig and that brings a few quesitons while I'm out and about sometimes.

Everyone in these parts thinks it's a great thing and some come out to watch from time to time.
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline Birdgun Quail

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 07:58:56 PM »
Being a newbie without any match experience, I'm telling friends, co-workers, and others what I'm about to get into.  More often than not I hear, "Oh you're going to shoot yourself in the leg."  "No," I say, "it's not fast draw.  It's shooting pistols, rifle, and shotgun at steel targets."  Then, folks hear about the costumes and many just laugh thinking it rather funny that a 58-year-old man is starting to act like a kid playing cowboy.  My closer friends who are more willing to express their thoughts ask, "Doesn't it seem rather juvenile to you?"  I tell them that because it appears juvenile that I hesitated so long.  But juvenile or not, I wanted to do it and I decided, "I'm 58 years old for crying out loud!"  I learned a long time ago not to worry what others thought of how I choose to spend my discretionary money or my play time.  Then I ask them if they worry what others think of how they spend their discretionary money and play time.  That usually ends the conversation.  However, some say "go for it" while others are still ribbing me.  My wife is still giggling about the silly things her husband decides to do...but, she's the one who is buying all my gear.  Do you reckon  I should take her giggling?
God bless,
Birdgun Quail

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:47:38 AM »

Offline Wrangler Rich

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 08:45:22 PM »
Saturday, coming home from a match, my road partner and I pulled into the gas station to fuel up.  After topping off the tank I went in to pay, and 2 young ladies (<22) were giggling between each other as I approached the counter in full "Cowboy."

After the transaction, the gal that waited on me said "You look nice" (Hell I'm 55)  I thanked her, then she inquired as to why I was all "dressed up"  I then proceeded to tell her that we were just at a Shooting match affiliated with the Single Action Shooting Society, and that we shoot about 5 miles from her station once a month.  I then invited her and her friend out to watch next month, told her about Holy Terror, and her Grandparents, and what a fun time it could be.  I hope I left her with enough information for her to check us out, and a good impression.
Hiram's Ranger # 10
It's not like it used to be, but it'll do.

Offline SIR WILLIAM

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 09:29:59 PM »
There have been a few movies filmed around here.  Folks usually want to know when the movie is coming out.  I enjoy the attention from kids!  I always try my best to get their parents to check out CAS.  I try to discuss the NRA, CCW and home defense with people.  I attempt to show them that "we" (gun owners) are just their neighbours.  I do talk history with some and technology with others.  Many people are interested in the costuming.  We live in rodeo country too.  They tend to stare and point.  I haven't figured that out yet.

Offline Lou Graham

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 01:28:59 PM »
"We're a bunch of folks that never outgrew playin' cowboy when we were ten."

Us ladies have an opportunity to educate the frightened and bust a few sterotypes the menfolk don't.  I have a picture of my home club (everybdy in full gear, several with rifles or shotguns) on my desk at work.  My screensaver is me at a match, in action: clothes, guns, smoke and all.

SOMEBODY is going to ask, you just know it.  I don't "look like someone that would own a gun."

<we'll save just how many I have for a later conversation>

Other responses I've given:

Yes, the guns and the ammo are real.

"No, I'm not afraid, and you don't have to be, either.  There are classes and special events to introduce non-shooters to firearms safety rules and let them try shooting in a carefully supervised environment.  I could go with you if you are interested."

Co-workers have expressed amazment that I can fly around the country with my guns.  A few have taken to calling me "Annie", some will ask after I've been gone a few days if I won anything.

The most surprising (to me, anyway) development is that when there is a firearms topic/issue/news event, there's always a someone from work that will come to me "you know about guns"  - what is an assault weapon?  What's a shell case?  What kind of gun is in this picture?

I invite folks to come watch a match.  I try to be a good ambassador for CAS and shooting sports in general.  I march right into the store, restaraunt or wherever I need to stop after a match dressed cowboy.   if it was legal here, I'd still have my guns on, too.  I sometimes go to church dressed cowboy, cause I head straight to the match from church.

This is the most fun I've ever had in my whole life.  That's what I tell 'em. 

Soot Lady
You can never be too thin, too rich or have too much ammo

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 05:38:05 PM »
No problem, I just tell 'em. I always invite them to a match.  I just try to share the fun and excitement we have in our sport; that's it's just some good clean fun and the FAMILY can participate.  And it never bothers me to go out in public dressed in my "cowboy" clothes.  Makes 'em look and wonder and some will ask -- big mistake for them 'cause I wind it up and tell 'em a lot in about 45 to 60 seconds.  I do get some "strange" looks but has never bothered me.
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Offline Stoney Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 12:04:26 PM »
Me Bride is into Creative Memories scrap booking.  She has scrapbooked every shoot I've bothered to take pictures at.  When I find someone genuinely interested I'll show them the book.

If it can't be nice, eaten, make money, create comfort or provide real pleasure.........kill it or trade it in on new one!

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 02:10:22 PM »
If people ask me why I'm "dressed like that", I just put an innocent look on my face and say, "I always dress like this."

Worked in the rendezvous days, still works for cowboy.

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 05:37:00 PM »
If people ask me why I'm "dressed like that", I just put an innocent look on my face and say, "I always dress like this."
You could tell them you are a member of the church of holy smoke and that's the traditional dress. ;D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 05:42:45 PM »
When someone asks me what it is, I give a short explanation. If they seem interested, I explain more about it and invite them to a match. Actually got a few to take me up on it. All it took for me was to go to a match. I took one look and was hooked. ;)

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 08:02:32 PM »
I have helped our club create a newsletter that we put out on the local gunshops and shows. 
We hold new shooters classes every year (and are looking to make it twice a year).
I put on cowboy programs for Cub and Boy Scouts.

Mostly, I just try to be a good guy in real life.  So when folks find out about my hobby, they tend to be curious.
Adios,

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 08:56:02 PM »
When I stop at a store on the way to a match, people think I am Amish. Then when I buy a pack of smokes and a Pepsi, they think I am bad Amish.

The funniest part of this story is that it's true.  I get a lot of strange looks, but not a lot of questions.

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 01:38:16 AM »
AnnieLee,

Your too young to smoke, it may stunt your growth.  Sent those evil smokes directly to me.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 08:48:02 AM »
It's kind of hard to explain to people who have never heard about CAS exactly what it is.  EVen hard if they don't really know about guns.

My brother and father had both heard about quick draw and had maybe even seen it on television.  I sent them articles, web sites, pictures everything that I could think of trying to get them to realize that what we do isn't quick draw.  It took them actaully attending a macth before they finally quit asking me how the "quick draw" was going.  Stump's mom still tells everybody that we are re-inacting but she hasn't been to a match yet.

I've been keeping Cowboy Chronicles since we joined SASS.  I think that I'll start carrying some old issues with me when we go to a shoot.  That way if somebody asks me what CAS is I can hand them a Chronicle and they can read a little, see some pictures and get a little better idea (yes I know that SASS isn't CAS but the Chronicle is easy to carry around and has a lot of information :D).  You just can't explain to a stranger what CAS is all about in the short time that you have in passing.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline CanChaserKate

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cactus Flats Ranch and Arenas, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004, 11:02:40 AM »
When I work at the Museum, I Represent the 1880's with Period Clothes and Accoutrements. The Museum Basically Represents that Era of the time in which Casa Grande, AZ was just a Whistle Stop on the Railroad.
A lot of People that come through the Museum Compliment me on my "Costuming." I tell them not just about what I am wearing, but also how it ties into the Era that Casa Grande was first getting going.
As well, I explain that we do CAS on some Weekends when we can.
People ask about the Guns that we Shoot, and All of the things surrounding CAS. I give them Info Enough to be able to get over here to the Cowboy Boards to get a better feel for things that are CAS, in hopes of turning them on to our Sport.
Already, I have Encountered one Gentleman that has CAS written All over him! He is going to join CAS (I Hope)!  ;D
SASS - Warthog
BTKOG Regulator
Senora Abrana S. Garcia - Bonney - Immortal Gunfighters Western Reenactment Group - Chloride, AZ.
R.A.T.S. #133
LLB Onda AZ Leader/LLB Street Team
Owner - MSN Group Hacienda de Billito
http://groups.msn.com/HaciendadeBillito

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com