Author Topic: About to buy my revolvers  (Read 4907 times)

Offline Dannel

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
About to buy my revolvers
« on: March 26, 2007, 06:30:16 PM »
Last week I ordered my rifle (1860 Henry in steel) and either next week or the week after, I look to order my pistols (already have a stoeger coach gun).  I've been flip-flopping between the Cimarron Model P and the Ruger Vaquero.  What I'd like to know is why you chose Ruger over some of the other offerings out there?

Thanks,

Dannel

PS  I own a Super Blackhawk .44 mag and love the gun but have never fired the Vaquero.

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
Re: About to buy my revolvers
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 10:00:39 PM »
For me, it was the safety issue. The Vaquero has a disconnected firing pin, so dropping an uncoked vaquero will almost certainly not set off the bullet. Don't try that with any Colt clone!
Yes, it's not absolutely 100% of a Colt. I'll give folks that. And yes, when cocked, the lack of a firing pin on the hammer is tough for purists (of which I'm actually one). But for me, I think that if Craftsman built Single Action pistols, this is the one they'd make, it's so over engineered, it's like the 1970s pickup truck of pistols, it'll last forever and is so much safer than anything else out there!

Offline Dannel

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 06:05:42 AM »
Thanks Captain.

If you don't mind, can I ask if you shoot the Vaquero or the New Vaquero?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:09:45 AM »

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 06:24:44 AM »
Dannel,    I really think it depends on why you are interested in CAS what revolver you end up getting.  I know for a fact that Ruger makes a very fine product ( I have a Blackhawk in 45colt/45acp plus an SP101 for personal carry), but for CAS purposes, I simply appreciate the historical value and realism of a Colt clone.  I have the Cimarron Model P in 45 colt and love the fit and finish of the gun.  As far as safety issues go, the transfer bar does afford protection against accidental discharges, but if you are careful like they were or should have been  in the old west you will be very safe.  Just remember,  Load one, skip one, load four, full cock and slow release and you will always be on an empty chamber.  You can do it in the dark and be safe.  Once you are on an empty chamber you have nothing to worry about.  The cylinder isnt going anywhere until you cock it.  So if history is important to you then that should help your decision.  If only  shooting a fine single action is what you want, then either the Ruger or Uberti will be fine.    Just my 2 cents worth.  Safe shooting.  Deadeye.    PS we want to see pictures of your Henry when you get it!!
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Dannel

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 09:09:58 PM »
Deadeye.  I like the fit and feel of the Cimarron, but was concerned about the safety issue and durability.  The good news is, I don't have to make a decision today.  The bad news is, I don't have to make the decision today.   ;)

The 1860 came in late today and is home safe and sound.  I wasn't able to get any time in at the range, but I plan in hitting it this weekend.  Here she is;

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 10:46:42 PM »
If you don't mind, can I ask if you shoot the Vaquero or the New Vaquero?
I shoot the New Vaquero. Mine is the stainless 5 1/2" model, but the finish and barrel length really are more of a personal preference than anything. The only drawback to the newer models is a lack of custom grips for them, most custom grip makers are just now making grips that fit the new models. I wanted aged ivory on mine, and nobody was making them for the New models yet. I did a lot of modification work on a Ajax set for an Old Vaquero, and finally got them to fit. Guess what happened two months later? Yep, they came out with the grips I originally needed for my pistol!
I don't disagree with anything Deadeye Don wrote, but I will throw this in, that I've heard of a lot of "tinkering" that needs to be done with a lot of Colt clones. All I hear from people who shoot Vaqueros is that you only need to pump some lead through them to break them in, and nothing else. Mine (which came direct, new from the store) felt like they were pretty much already broken in when I first pulled the trigger. Lots of folks will call any Ruger a good "starting" pistol, suggesting only greenhorns use them. What bunk. I know plenty of serious competitive SASS shooters, many of them shoot with Vaqueros! Don't let the "You're nothing unless you have the most expensive toys" types talk you out of a darned fine pistol. They look good, cost about the same as any other Colt clone, they're built like a tank, and require very little gunsmithing. Oh, they shoot great as well. If you were a Western re-enactor or making a movie, I'd steer you away from a Ruger. But if you're shooting CAS, I'd recommend one wholeheartedly!

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 06:10:53 AM »
Dannel,   That is one fine looking iron Henry rifle.   I assume you went ahead and got it in 45 colt. The wood on that looks really nice and they did a good job with the case coloring also.  You wont be dissapointed.  Let us know how it does at the range!

Safe shooting.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Will Blastem

• Top Active Citizen
  • You stage 'em...Will Blastem
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 02:27:28 PM »
I bought me 2 pair of the Ruger New Vaquero, One pair in 45LC, CCH & blued. 5 1/2" and the other pair in SS, 357/38, 5 1/2". Why? I guess because I have bought several Ruger guns since the 70's and they all have served me well. Ruger builds them STRONG and the NRV's are basically the same size as the Colt. The Old Vaq. are larger and do not fit my smaller hands as well. For the most part they are fairly smooth right out of the box but with a good action job they're exceptional. Parts are easy to get and Ruger service is second to none...and the price is good.

I'm sure there are many excellent revolvers out there and I'm sure you'll like what ever you choose.
You Stage 'em, Will Blastem
KC's Corral at Black Creek
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
Hiram's Rangers #25
RATS #314
Vietnam  Ist Air Cav 67-68

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 03:26:57 PM »
  I bought mine simply because I like the bigger trigger guard and it felt like it was stout enough..Compared side by side to several clones.. Since have bought an additional 4 ...........I might buy some more again ;D  I have got some clones order to accompany my Henry's... I just don't think the Rooooger's look like they belong with the 1860 (just my personal feelings) However they accompany a 92 or a Marlin just fine.  Have fun with it shoot what you like...Not what we shoot.   We can recommend them, help you with advise but in the long run you pay for 'em and shoot 'em.   Good Luck in what you choose... BTW the "Henry's"of yours looks really good, I also shoot an Iron frame
Mathew 5.9

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 07:33:16 PM »
RUGER all the way!, I wouldn't trade my OM Vaqueros for a brace of 2d genaration Colt SAAs! Ole Sam may have made men 'equal' But Mr. Ruger and Mr. Sturm made 'em eqular IMHO! Colts are not as strong as Rugers which IMO means that they may well last and shoot longer than a similar Colt model will with the same loads; and, again my opinion, Rugers are a safer revolver.
Just my druthers but I class Colt SAAs as the 'Cadillac' of Revolvers, lots of  good reputation and overpriced. Me I've been driving Chevys all my life--- good reputation and moderately priced.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com