Author Topic: Revolver suggestion?  (Read 12662 times)

Offline texaswoodworker

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Revolver suggestion?
« on: November 23, 2014, 01:54:11 PM »
I'm currently looking into getting all the gear I need for CAS (specifically SASS). I already have a rifle (Rossi 92 44 mag), and thanks to the help of this site's great members, I know what shotgun I'm going to get (Stoeger Coach Gun). I have hit a snag on the revolvers though. I wanted a pair of matching blued Ruger Old Vaqueros in 44 mag with a 5.5" barrel, but just finding one is not the easiest thing to do. Let alone two.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I've looked at the Taylors and Company Smoke Wagon, the Cimarron Model P Old Model, and the Uberti Cattleman Brass. Since I'm using 44 mag in my rifle, I'm afraid to use 45 Colt since it would be really similar in size and profile to the 44 mag, at least at a glance. If I got the Uberti or the Taylors, I'd probably want 44-40 WCF. Do you think that I'd be able to use that cartridge without getting it mixed up with 44 mag, or would it be too similar?

I'm leaning towards the Cimarron since I can get it in 44 special. How good are they?

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/cartridge-revolvers/the-smoke-wagon/the-smoke-wagon-44-40-5-1-2-blue-finish-with-case-hardened-frame-checkered-walnut-grips-model-4112.html

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/cartridge-revolvers/model-p-1873-1896/model-p-1.html

http://www.uberti.com/1873-single-action-cattleman-revolvers

Thanks. :)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
Re: Revolver suggestion?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 04:40:30 PM »
Have you tried to run 44 Spcl in the Rossi ?

If they feed reliably, you're set to get 44 spcl in either the Smoke Wagon or Evil Roy ( basically Cimarron's version of the SW )
Being new, I suggest you to stick with the single caliber.

Both the Smoke Wagon & the Evil Roy are fine guns , so is the Old Model P....

I'm not fan of the matt finish, brass back strap models, in the looks department.  

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 05:53:43 PM »
I agree.  Stay with one caliber.  Check some of the auction sights.  There are a lot of them out there.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:24:38 AM »

Offline texaswoodworker

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 06:06:13 PM »
You mean like the cattlemans Uberti has been making lately? I saw some of those in a shop the other day. I didn't care for the matte finish either. I prefer polished blue.

I have not tried 44 special in my Rossi yet. I have not had a chance. As soon as I can get some brass together, I'll give it a try. :)

Does the Smoke Wagon come in 44 Special? I didn't see that option.

Thanks

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 06:32:25 PM »
The Matte finish has been around several years under different names

Uberti offered the Millennium, 12-14 years ago .... US firearms had the Rodeo and the Rodeo II
( USFA even tried 4 color variations tan, OD, black, and mustard in matte "Fail ")
Filli Pietta has their version....

As far as the Smoke Wagon in 44 spcl.,  I'd call Sue and ask, I'm sure she could pick you a pair of Cattleman, New Models in 44 Spcl.
and have Cody Conagher tune them...cost would be about the same and you have your 44 spcl.
Or Try Longhunter.... they are all Uberti's  :)

If you are looking at Cimarron (Uberti)  , I'd suggest 3 B shooting Supply ( Brian Buck )   

Offline texaswoodworker

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 07:11:54 PM »
I think I'll go with the Cattleman New Model idea and have them tuned when I can afford it. Thanks for the help! :)

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 07:12:31 PM »
I'm betting you have not shot a match yet? If not take some ammo, .44 Spl is a rather scarce caliber. Take some .38s of .45s and go shoot a few matches. People will share with you. You can then decide what you really want. Often people buy $2000 worth of guns and 2 or3 months later have buyers remorse.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline texaswoodworker

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
Scarce ammo is not a problem. Heck, half the guns I own own shoot odd foreign calibers that you pretty much have to reload for. :p I'm already set up for casting and reloading 44 mag, so 44 special shouldn't be a problem. :)

I've been wanting to go to a shoot, but the club here had to close down because they lost the use of the land they were shooting on. I think there's another one a few miles down the road though. I'll have to see when they shoot.

Thanks. :)

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 09:21:16 PM »
Shotgun Franklin is giving great advice.  You might find that the rifle you have isn't what you prefer.  That open up a whole lot of options for you if you decide to go with a 66 or 73 for example.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1219
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 10:20:22 PM »
Neither the Smokewagon nor the Evil Roy are available in 44 Spcl.  Possibly they could be special ordered but that would take a good while. You could also buy either in 44-40 and have 44 spcl cylinders fitted, but that adds cost.  I think Cimarron is the only company offering the Cattleman (Model P) in 44 Spcl, both old model and pre-war.  Those will not have the wide sights or checkered grips of the competition models, but are certainly usable.

By the way, have you ever considered Opentops or conversions?  Those are available in 44 Spcl and get you more style points   :)

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 10:40:11 PM »
.44 Spl is seldom seen at a match.
If you want to try guns it is not the ammo to take with you.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 04:40:04 AM »
I see 44 spcl at every match  :)  44 Colt & 44 Russian as well.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 01:46:50 PM »
I have seen one guy using them in about 4 years. If you want to shoot someone else' guns to see if you like them take common ammo.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 02:47:08 PM »
I shoot common ammo for the time period. .38 Colt/38 Special, .44 S&W Russian/44 Colt, and .45 L Colt, all in BP loads. This all depends on the bore dia. of the revolver.
I don't like heel bullets! They are a BITA to cast, size and load! ( specifically .38 Colt and .44 Colt).
I don't mind loaning out my firearms and/or even supplying the ammo to a beginner. However, they are going to have to want to do all their shooting with BP.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 04:11:54 PM »
All I know is that where I shoot we often share everything from pistols to holsters, shotgun shells to hats. The main point being that what is good for me might not be good for you but if you try mine we'll know for sure.

Offline texaswoodworker

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 08:50:23 PM »
Shotgun Franklin, I understand what your getting at. If I get a chance to go to a shoot, I'll take along some 38 special. I am pretty set on getting those 44 specials though. They match my rifle, and they will at the very least get my started. I don't plan on them being the only revolvers I buy though. I'll eventually get another rifle, another shotgun, and another set of six guns. Not because I feel that my gear is not up to snuff, but because I'm wanting more anyways. I'm wanting both a 66 and a 73, and I've been eyeballing some of the percussion/conversion revolvers. :P

And yes, I have been bitten by the BP bug. I tried some in my Rossi the other day hand had a blast with it. :D

Thanks everyone for the help. :)

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 09:13:58 PM »
I like any caliber that starts with a '4'. I'm betting that if you like a gun in .38, you'll like it even better in .44.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 11:34:20 PM »
Yep , your stung  :) 

the wound will start to look something like this ,...

as it spreads there will be areas that swell up like these...

won't kill ya , course you may think you died and went to heaven  ;)

Offline texaswoodworker

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 11:41:28 PM »
Drool...

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 11:16:06 AM »
You can do some neat things to the matte black and brass look. I bought a pair to see if I was interested in CFDA.

Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com