Author Topic: Single Shot 45-70's  (Read 6169 times)

Offline Joespapa

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Single Shot 45-70's
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:34:02 PM »
Posted Today, 01:13 PM
Just shot my first long range side match(big bore lever) and really liked it. Now I want to try single -shot. Looking for recommendations for a fun, good looking,not too expensive($750ish)single shot .45-70. Sharps, Rolling Block, High-Wall, whatever. Don't really know much at all about 'em.
What say you "experts"?   ???
JP

38-72

Re: Single Shot 45-70's
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:43:22 PM »
How far are you wanting to shoot?  How often do you want to hit the target?  How much recoil can you take?

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 01:03:49 AM »
Read through BROW, Buffalo Rifles of the Old West.  To meet your price, look into the H&R break open. Winchester Hi-walls are decent  target rifles but were too late for the buffalo hunt.  Remington rolling blocks and Sharps have their proponents and were well represented at the slaughter. Prices go up quickly, even used, so better be prepared for $1000 plus.

In the hunt for an economical means of reaching out a 1,000 yards or so, for under $1000, look at this thread;

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,43430.0.html
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:45:21 PM »

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 01:27:32 AM »
I picked up a Armi Sport 32 inch barrelled 45/70 and a Remington Rolling block off the wire $750 for each if I remember correctly.
Decent deals come along once in a while.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Joespapa

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 06:29:11 AM »
I picked up a Armi Sport 32 inch barrelled 45/70 and a Remington Rolling block off the wire $750 for each if I remember correctly.
Decent deals come along once in a while.

Thanks guys! Just this weekend at the Wanamaker show I picked up an awesome Browning High Wall or $800.00 !
Can't wait to get to the range.Woo Hoo! :)
JP

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 04:22:10 PM »
PICTURES>>>PICTURES>>>PICTURES>>>PICTURES>>>PICTURES>>> :(

What caliber?

If 45-70......9-10 g of Unique under a 400-425 bullet is a nice mild accurate load..........but Black Powder is best!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 08:54:28 AM »
Don't overlook an original Trapdoor Springfield. The Model 1884 has the Buffington rear sight that is finely adjustable for long range shooting. You'll need to slug the bore and have it properly measured, then order a custom mold. You'll still likely be very close to under $1,000, but you'll be shooting rifle that has literally "been there, done that."

Offline slkslk

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 08:52:24 AM »
I picked up a Uberti Quigly Down Under Sharps in 45-70 a few years ago and it is a blast to shoot. Very good quality rifle. I have shot at 500 yds so far with it and I am happy with the results.

Steve

Offline Tall Dark Slim

• Talkative and generally full of it, but harmless nonetheless.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Carolina Gunslinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 03:03:05 PM »
I once shot a side match at 100 yds. I was using a loaner Uberti Sharps .45-70 with vernier sights. There was a fellow that new his way around a high wall and another fellow that new his way around a trapdoor carbine. I believe the carbine shooter was fastest followed by the high wall. I won with the most hits, but the carbine shooter would've smoked me had he been more accurate as it is clearly the fastest action. Good luck and investigate the nature of the matches you intend to shoot and pickt he best tool for it.

Offline Hambone Dave

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 11:38:44 AM »
BE CAREFUL...BE VERY CAREFUL

Black powder cartridge shooting out of a single shot is dangerously obsession forming. I dream only of .45's. The 70s, 90, and 110s.
I ponder lube ingredients. I crave recoil, more recoil, smoke, more smoke. NRA BP target, Silhouette shooting, Schutzen...oh I am starting to feel light headed. Don't even get me started on paper patching the never ending search for the perfect wrap. Sharps, Rollers and Ballards oh my.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 11:40:18 AM »
Simple solution - have examples of several BPCR's! Tah-dah!

My first was a Marlin (wish I still had it), then an H&R carbine (sold and replaced with another), an H&R Officer Model, a Browning '86, 5 Shiloh rifles and carbines and one lone rolling block in .43 Spanish. And I'd like to add a few more to the list ..... Almost all are in 45-70, with a few .50's thrown into the mix.

Like Hambone sez - very addictive interest! But what's a hobby for? Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.  And he who dies with the most toys wins, n'est-ce pas?

I shoot them all occasionally, but spend most time with my Business Rifle and '86 of late. My interests come and go, depending on last movie watched, etc. I find that I can't take more than one to the range at any time and learn anything.

There is no interest locally in shooting BPCR's other than at our annual CAS event, but Gabriel law and I intend to change that with more offerings.

Like the Winchester '85 Highwall, the '86 seems to be the poor second cousin to the earlier Winchester stable of lever action rifles.
Probably John Browning's triumph of repeating manually operated rifles, but a little late on the scene to be deemed "Cowboy" enough to even warrant a column on this forum.

I've always wanted a Schuetzen-style rifle, but again, I'd be a majority of one around here and I'd have to add another calibre c/w dies, moulds, etc. in order to shoot it. Too many rifles, not enough time - or money!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com