Author Topic: Acceptable firearms  (Read 9334 times)

Offline Sidekick

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Acceptable firearms
« on: May 09, 2004, 02:01:49 PM »
On the NCOWS website it says that the timeframe is from 1865 till 1899.  If this is true can someone use a Win. 1897 shotgun at a NCOWS match?
2006 Southeast Regional Champion
2005 Alabama State Champion

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
Re: Acceptable firearms
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 09:37:20 PM »
Of course :)  Along with an 1878 Colt, and a double action Smith and Wesson.  Swing out cylinder Colts such as the 1892 and 95.

AND Your doubles can have ejectors ;D.

The one qualifier is that the firearm was common on the Frontier.  Just because a person finds a gun that was made prior to 1899 in Europe but wasn't normally found on the American Frontier doesn't mean it would be allowed. Documentation would have to be provided before it would be.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Sidekick

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 10:48:15 PM »
Thanks Will.
2006 Southeast Regional Champion
2005 Alabama State Champion

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:48:43 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 11:26:50 PM »
I think NCOWS is going for more authentic period weapons and clothing to put it apart from the Moderm catagory in SASS.  THe clothing options are narrow and the gunrigs are not so "Hollywood".
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 09:22:42 AM »
Your description was/is accurate.
There are several threads worth reading on the Frontier Spot - www.frontierspot.org - that further illuminate the differences between SASS and NCOWS - too many to list here, but I'm sure we can handle it on the CAS-L if someone wants.

Think of NCOWS as period reenactment and SASS as "theater".

The shooters here are far more historically oriented and take care in their research of both firearms, accouterments and dress, so if you're really interested in the history and customs of the real Old West, then NCOWS may be for you.

It's not SASS, but it complements the whole genre of C&WAS, and that makes it interesting.

And besides, isn't the purpose of the whole thing to enjoy shooting 19th Century firearms as they were actually shot?

There's a certain challenge and a charm to being able to do well with them, simply because they're the "originals".

If it isn't, then there's a whole world of coil springed, modified guns out there, all tricked out and firing loads that wouldn't stop a charging gerbil.

NCOWS - The Few  The Proud,  The Period Correct.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 05:04:42 PM »
As I have said on the other forum.   The roots of the 2 groups, SASS and NCOWS dictated the approach each took.

SASS had it's origins in IPSC shooting where certain members of the original Wild Bunch got tired of the race gun mentality that was taking over that sport.  That is why they made such a big deal of "no external modifications".

NCOWS on the other hand had it's birth from Buckskinning where authenticity and historical accuracy was paramount.  Near the beginning many feel, me included, that NCOWS made a mistake in allowing the Ruger Vaquero since it isn't even a close copy of any historical 19th Century firearm.  However there just weren't that many good Colt clones available and the Vaquero filled an important void.  I have and love to shoot a brace of Vaqueros and have shot them for at least a part of each National shoot.  NCOWS is mostly about self policing.  You do things the best you can because you want to.  Not because a bunch of authenticity Nazis force you to.   Most of us come to the point that the competition to win isn't as important as shooting the best we can with guns, gear and ammunition that is as close to what our 19th Century forefathers used as possible.  I haven't got there yet as I am just starting to shoot real black powder and feeling my way.  No one forces you to do it, you just come to it on your own.  Some never do.   You will see their names on the top of the smokeless Shootist category.  That is fine.  That is what they get out of NCOWS.  I certainly don't envy them but rather feel bad for them that they will never appreciate what the organization is really about.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 07:04:43 PM »
I. Will Ketchum Wrote
NCOWS is mostly about self policing.  You do things the best you can because you want to.  Not because a bunch of authenticity Nazis force you to.

Only too true! I was a bit concerned about my first NCOWS match, what with the tales told elsewhere about the "Clothing Police" I'm happy to be able to tell y'all that those guys don't exist! (at least not at NCOWS events I'VE attended) Making a decent effort at Period Correct will pass muster insofar as I've seen! No one has ever taken me to task about my slightly modified jeans, nor made mention of my non-leather soled boots. As long as it looks realistic for the period, and ya at least make an effort no one will get on yer case about it!

And as noted, with time you will find that you WANT to be more & more period correct...just because it's fun! ;D
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline cave_dweller

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 10:13:25 AM »

I looked over the NCOWS website and scrolled through the list of "approved" and "unapproved" list of firearms and never saw mention of cap and ball revolvers (besides the Ruger New Army). I shoot Pietta 1860 Army's and am interested in NCOWS, is that an acceptable firearm for the club? Or will I be looking at a new purchase in order to join?

Also, I'm located in Reno, NV, is there an NCOWS posse nearby or is the closest posse Hat Creek? ???

Thanks!

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 11:54:22 AM »
As Will Ketchum points out, much of NCOWS is self regulating.
One can brake down the years from 1865 to 1899 into five year increments based on firearms development through out that period alone.
Another words, if one has chosen a time period of, lets just say 1876 for your impression... then using an 1897 Winchester pump Shot Gun and or a hand ejector Colt or Smith & Wesson would be out of context of the historical period one has chosen for him or herself.
In this case it would be a matter of policing ones own impression. Simply change the date of your impression to a date that would allow you to use those firearms. Say 1898 or 1899? And that might depend on the part of the country one sees themselves living, and of course, the occupation of that individual impression.
  Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Cutter Carl

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 12:25:59 PM »
Cave Dweller,

1860 Colt cap and ball are ok so are Remmy 1858. 

Ruger New Army is disallowed because it is a modern gun and not a copy of anything that existed prior to 1899. 
NCOWS #3053
SASS #79783
Cracker Cow Cavalry - Florida's 1st NCOWS Posse
CCC - Marshall
Eagle Scout 1980

Offline Yuma Kid

• NCOWS Editor (The Shootist Magazine)
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John "Yuma Kid" Irons
  • SASS #: 31302
  • NCOWS #: L129
  • GAF #: 767
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 12:26:23 PM »
Cave Dweller,
Replicas of or original firearms that were available during our time period are all 100% legal in NCOWS.  So no problem with the Pietta's provided they are the steel frame as the originals would have been and not the brass frame which did not exist.  I am talking about the revolver frame and not the grip frame here since the grip frame of all 1860's were brass.
Yuma
Keep Yer Powder Dry!

NCOWS #L129,  G.A.F. # 767, SASS #31302, NRA Life Endowment, Lancaster County Bounty Collection Agentcy #29

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 01:21:43 PM »
Dont you just love all the brass frame replicas that never existed and are advertised as Confederate models. Some descriptions are very misleading and some go so far as being a flat out lie.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 01:59:51 PM »
Researching the correct arms of this period is actually rather easy.
It does, however, require buying a book or two and, of course, reading those books.
One example is "United States Military Firearms 1816 - 1865", by R. Reilly
U S Military size brass frame revolvers are NOT manufacture by either Colt or Remington!
However, some Colt revolvers are manufactured using brass trigger guards and back straps such as the 1851 and 1861 Navy's as standard Models. (The London made Colts may use iron/steel)
The 1860 Army Model Revolver will, however, be manufactured use a brass trigger guard with an iron/steel back strap through out most of its production life.
(Most (but not all) of the 1860's were cut for the addition of a shoulder stock, this is why they have an iron/steel back strap) 
  Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 02:00:28 PM »
Dont you just love all the brass frame replicas that never existed and are advertised as Confederate models. Some descriptions are very misleading and some go so far as being a flat out lie.

I could label a grey disco suit as a Confederate uniform and could sell it to a certain element of the population including some who have posted on CAS-City from time to time.  Of course that it the same group that I could sell a T-Shirt with the Confederate Naval flag on it and tell them that it was the stars and bars.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 05:47:28 PM »
Too true!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com