Author Topic: Issue with new USFA 12/22  (Read 41933 times)

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Issue with new USFA 12/22
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2009, 04:39:22 AM »
drjdog,
Before you sell your gun, how about this: keep calling USFA till you get the receptionist. When you talk to her, insist on talking to the smith who worked on your gun (or any other smith) because Gary's been too busy to call or email you back.  Then, if you succeed in getting him on the line, offer to email pics showing the problems with fit, screws, etc.  Gary is a middleman. He has to talk to the smith, then relay info to you.  If you can skip the middle and go to the source, I really think you'll get a solution to the problem.

The reason I suggest that is b/c I had a pretty good feeling about my conversation with the smith.  Most other companies would have just shipped the guns back to me saying "headspace is within factory tolerances using WW brass."  Instead, the smith spent 2 days trying out different fixes, tracking down a black powder expert, and finally, calling me to discuss the problem.  And when he called he didn't just tell me "tough luck, I'm sending them back." He said he'd keep trying to find a solution.  The call did a lot to restore my faith in USFA.  (I have been blown off before by other firearms companies, so I value the experience I'm having with USFA.  I'm still pissed about how long this is taking, but that's life, I'll get over it.)

Keep us posted.
JD
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Recon

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2009, 08:58:04 AM »
Phone calls can work for people with the right personality.  I usually just get "shined on."  You could try a letter, certified, return receipt requested, demanding they send you the free Fed Ex label and then, upon their receipt of the gun, they give you all your money back. 

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2009, 08:28:45 PM »
Got an email postcard from USFA (I'm on their spam list).  It said the company in closed until Jan 4 or 5.  So another month has gone and they've still got my g.d. Rodeos... >:(
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 11:30:33 AM »

Offline Recon

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2010, 09:29:56 PM »
Well, drjdog and Yellowhammer,  any more word?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2010, 08:38:48 AM »
I received my Rodeos a few days ago.  (They sure look good--like new).  There was no explanation of repairs from USFA but from what the smith told me when he called last month, they installed magnum hammers and recoil plates (I can see that the hammers are new).  The only thing that came with the guns was a print-out of .44 WCF chamber and cartridge specs.  I'm gonna hook up my scanner and scan and post the sheet. 

I have yet to fire any bullets.  The weather hasn't been too good and I'm recovering from spinal surgery.  Soon as I get to te range I'll post a report.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2010, 08:56:49 AM »
Decided to get off my butt and scan the SAAMI spec sheet.  Here's a link to a printable pdf:

http://www.dorseyfoto.com/arms/4440SAAMIspec.pdf

And below is a small jpeg.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2010, 02:39:39 PM »
Yep, that's the standard SAAMI spec sheet.  Interesting they put magnum hammers in your .44-40s.  The big difference between the standard hammer and the magnum hammer is that the magnum hammer uses a smaller diameter firing pin tip and a smaller hole in the recoil shield to prevent primer flow from high pressure rounds.  The firing pin on the magnums is also usually movable so it can center itself in the recoil shield.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2010, 02:49:27 PM »
Yep, that's the standard SAAMI spec sheet.  Interesting they put magnum hammers in your .44-40s.  The big difference between the standard hammer and the magnum hammer is that the magnum hammer uses a smaller diameter firing pin tip and a smaller hole in the recoil shield to prevent primer flow from high pressure rounds.  The firing pin on the magnums is also usually movable so it can center itself in the recoil shield.

I don't know for sure if they put the magnums in. Is there some way to tell (for instance, looking for the movable firing pin)? Could you describe it for me?
Thanks!
JD

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2010, 04:23:38 PM »
Plan A didn't work, the USFA site won't let me post a direct link to the firing pins.  Let's try this.  Go to the website

http://www.usfirearms.com/

Click on parts, click on Single Action and go to page three of the parts.  Scroll down and you can see the firing pins.  The standard pin is a fixed conical.  The magnum pin is a movable tapered pin.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2010, 05:59:53 PM »
Great, thank you!  I'll check it out and report back.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2010, 10:39:23 PM »
Well, it's the standard hammer. And the recoil shield matches the one in my Premium SAA .45 Colt.  But the shield looks new, and I think the hammers are new, too (or maybe just cleaned up so much they look new--I don't know how he cleaned them, but both guns look brand spankin' new.)

USFA firing pins

My hammer & firing pin:

My recoil shield:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com