Author Topic: Corn and Corn husk Recipe #3-Apache Bread  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 100
Corn and Corn husk Recipe #3-Apache Bread
« on: August 13, 2010, 12:00:22 PM »

Corn and Corn husk Recipe #3-Apache Bread
I have had this recipe for eons, (back into the early 80s when I was running around with a fellow high school buddy really into buckskinning.   We just called them corn dodgers and when you see the corn dodger recipe, you will see the similarity.   These are quite tasty and work even if you bacon grease is not cold.  Where the name Apache bread comes from is the internet.   A buddy who has eaten mine sent me this from the internet, which was exact except used slightly less water.  That is a personal call and as you cook them, you can get the feeling for how wet or dry you like it.   One thing I can say if you are using Green husks, that means there is corn nearby, or where did the husk come from.  Add the corn, and scrape the cob with the back of your knife to get all of the corn milk out and into the cornmeal.  The final bread will taste even better.   For this and the dodger recipe, white/yellow meal is your choice.   I think white was probably eaten more in the 19th century, but I personally like yellow better.  Maybe just shows my poor background.   
Apache Bread

2 cups Cornmeal
1 teaspoon Salt (to taste really)
1/2 teaspoon Red pepper (I prefer ~1/2 teaspoon of ground dried ancho chili)
1/2 cup Bacon drippings (cold)
1 ¼ cup Boiling water
Green corn husks, or soaked dry corn husks.

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.  Carefully add boiling water, stirring while you do.   When mixture is cool enough to handle, stir in the bacon drippings. Form into small
rolls and wrap in green corn husks, or dry corn husks soaked in hot water for several hours.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Makes 12 individual breads.
Depending on your fireside talent, these can be cooked in the coals of your campfire.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com