Author Topic: ROA... jammed... FIXED!  (Read 3524 times)

Offline Mad Mucus

• Shooter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ROA... jammed... FIXED!
« on: December 27, 2006, 04:42:07 AM »
G'day,

Got a new 7.5" blue ROA for Christmas, my first C&B pistol.    8)

Haven't even loaded her up yet and already managed to jam the action.  :-[

To date I have removed the grips, cylinder, ram & nipples... degreased/cleaned and fully lubed. Assembled, capped all nipples on empty cylinders, fired to check that all's functioning as it should... all OK. Pulled it down again, gave it a quick wipe-out and re-lube, re-assembled, fully cocked and eased the hammer down on a nipple.

THEN... for some reason I decided to move the hammer onto a safety notch. While moving the hammer back to half-cock I started to rotate the cylinder and it jammed... don't think I got the hammer to even half-cock. The hammer & trigger won't move with the trigger spur(?) engaged in the cylinder base.

Is there an easy fix? Gunshops are shut for Christmas break, another week or so before opening...

Help!  :-[

Also, proud owner of a stainless .357mag Blackhawk.

Mucus   
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: ROA... jammed... Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 06:22:21 AM »
Dunno for sure. 
Trigger spur(?) don't touch the cylinder base.  Are you talking about the bolt stop being up not allowing the cylinder to rotate? 
Also did you fire them caps on the empty chambers?  Some crap mighta gotten back into the hammer & hand area.  Or some machining debris that got dislodged when you screwed out them nipples.
Also see if'n the base pin is seated all the way home.
Guessin' here.
MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Mason Stillwell

• BP C&B SHOOTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 06:38:31 AM »
Welcome to the great Rooger lock up. Cost me lots of rounds at matches.

If you let yer thumb slip off the hammer and it fall back before you reach full cock some of the roogers will lock up solid as a drum.

Pull the base pin and start working the cylinder back and forth as much as possible. sometimes that will work. If not take a very thin screwdriver and reach in and push the bolt down.

I got one in my gun safe that is as we speak locked up solid as  a drum. It will go to Wes Flowers he can fix that ROOGER problem

Hope this helps
 Mason
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Advertising

Re: ROA... jammed... FIXED!
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:47:29 PM »

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 07:14:04 AM »
Mine did it.  Boxed it up 'n sent it back ta Ruger.  Ain't done it since.........
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 08:35:27 AM »
I have had some similar jams on brand new OM Vaqueros.  But no half-cock position on them hammers.  Shootin' & cleanin' fixed them fine.
Thanks for the answers, guys!
MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Mad Mucus

• Shooter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 12:56:08 PM »
Mason Stillwell... your experience has returned my grin... situation fixed.  8)

Removed the base-pin, pulled the cylinder upward as much as possible off the "bolt stop" and pressed it down easily with a small thin flat screwdriver... up and running again.

Thanks a bundle,

Mucus

Offline Mad Mucus

• Shooter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: ROA... jammed... FIXED!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 09:06:54 PM »
Hmmm..... happened again the other day when my thumb slipped off the hammer whilst cocking. Repeated Mason's fix proceedure and was up and running again. Guess I have to be a tad more attentive. :-\

Mucus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com