Author Topic: OK, all steamed up, coal oil burners and gasoline powered washing machines  (Read 64581 times)

Offline Wireman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
That is ah Crying shame OT.

Lots of the good secrets like that have disappeared.

Like how ta make ah chess pie.  ::)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
Did take these, Slim might like this TO-30:

A bit fancier than mine.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
Del got all steamed up an even though he took almost 600 pitchers he missed a few...

"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
That is ah Crying shame OT.

Talk to Mo Lasses.   ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

the fella that cuts and bales our hay makes sorghum, he has the old rig that his granddad had, it is one that runs by mule power,  tommy has put on an electric motor now and still uses it every year,  he has about 3 acres of cane planted this year. everybody that knew his granddad says it was the best sorghum they ever had,  Tommy says when his granddad was cookin it, he wouldn't let anybody near, so nobody reallly knows exactly how he made it.  Tommy says his is not as good as his granddad. or dads.

These folks make a mighty fine product, pictures are from another event in the fall of 2006:

Ya want me to search my 19th century cook boooks and scan ya some recipes?  Course the rest is up to you. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
that looks like Tommy's press except his has been rigged to an electric motor,   he has all the stainless buckets and cookers,  he said his Dad had at one time a copper cooker,  said it was a hugh pot, but it burned out before Tommy got the press,
his sorghum is good, but he says his Granddad's was better.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
that looks like Tommy's press except his has been rigged to an electric motor,   he has all the stainless buckets and cookers,  he said his Dad had at one time a copper cooker,  said it was a hugh pot, but it burned out before Tommy got the press,
his sorghum is good, but he says his Granddad's was better.

The secret more than likely is the copper kettle.  This one is not these folks, but belongs to the Filley barn, as well as the cooker and the stove, the just bring the stalks.  The set-up they have at home is much bigger.  But the horse runs it at home also.  they could put a 'lectric motor on it, but they don't have no place at home to plug it in. ;D

Not Amish, just folks who like to live the simple life.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Wireman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Wars dare gonnah be ah pitcher in dat last post Dell?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Wars dare gonnah be ah pitcher in dat last post Dell?

Nope, don't have any of their home set-up, just the above one they do at Filley.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
Del, It looks a little cool up there. That Belgian looks like he's got his winter coat. It would be a cool change from 90-100 days temps around here.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Those pictures were in mid Oct. ;D

Got in the upper 90's here today, looks like a one day deal though and back around 80 for a week or so.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
It otta be nice by Oct. for the Muster. I sent my registration into Jerry this week. I'll celebrate my 62nd birthday on the 13th of Oct. The Muster will be my Birthday present to myself. I'm gonna try and bring some extra money to get me a Frock Coat.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
The secret more than likely is the copper kettle.  This one is not these folks, but belongs to the Filley barn, as well as the cooker and the stove, the just bring the stalks.  The set-up they have at home is much bigger.  But the horse runs it at home also.  they could put a 'lectric motor on it, but they don't have no place at home to plug it in. ;D

ya know that's kinda what Tommy and Levi think also,   Levi says he remembers when he was just a kid, Tommy's Granddad travelin around this part of the country and sitting up at different places and making sorghum for people, where they had grown cane.  he says it was a community event,

Tommy says when they burned out the copper pot that somebody came by and his granddad sold the old pot for $10,   Tommy always has his eyes out for another copper pot, but he hasn't found what he wants yet.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Don't understand it, but some things work better in copper, like merigune.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Del, When the word merigune, I think about cream pies,  especially banana or coconut.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Del, When the word merigune, I think about cream pies,  especially banana or coconut.

Yep and it whios up much better in a copper bowl, something to do with ions. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Yep and it whios up much better in a copper bowl, something to do with ions. ::)

??? ??? ???

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

??? ??? ???

Slim

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,26998.0.html

Slim, cars are just like hat styles, you can give them a name and it don't mean poop. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,26998.0.html

Slim, cars are just like hat styles, you can give them a name and it don't mean poop. ::)
That's fer sure.

Slim

Offline Wireman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I been know ta give cars and other inanimate objects names.

Just none that I can say in here. Wouldn't wanna offend Scarlett er Sleepy dun't cha know.....  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com