Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 24868 times)

Online Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
Coffee
« on: September 14, 2004, 12:51:50 PM »
What was the first coffee in the US of A that was sealed in tins? In, what year did this start?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Coffee
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 12:57:11 PM »
Don't know the brand but early 1880's comes to mind.  Did not get real popular because of cost.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Online Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 01:01:11 PM »
It was a little bit before 1880's. The brand is still in production. This was the trivia question on the radio, yesterday.

Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:38:17 PM »

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 02:50:58 PM »
Might it be Maxwell House?  I know they were round in the 1890's, but not sure when they were first offered.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 02:58:14 PM »
I think it is MJB if I remember right.  Yuban was an Arbuckle's brand off shoot.  Yuile Tide Blend, came out in the 1890's as Arbuckle's was losing ground fast. :'(
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Online Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 03:10:37 PM »
Might it be Maxwell House?  I know they were round in the 1890's, but not sure when they were first offered.
Sorry.
"1886: Former wholesale grocer Joel Cheek names his popular coffee blend "Maxwell House," after the hotel in Nashville, TN where it's served."

Slim

Online Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 03:15:34 PM »
I think it is MJB if I remember right.  Yuban was an Arbuckle's brand off shoot.  Yuile Tide Blend, came out in the 1890's as Arbuckle's was losing ground fast. :'(
Sorry.
"1899 - Brothers Max, Mannie, and Eddie join forces to form M. J. Brandenstein & Co., selling tea, coffee, and spices in San Francisco. The firm soon becomes famous for its coffee, and changes its name to MJB to minimize sibling rivalry and disguise the family’s German-Jewish roots."

Slim

Online Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 03:36:36 PM »
Okay, I'll end the torture.

"Founded in Boston in 1862 by Caleb Chase and James Sanborn, this brand was the first ground coffee to be distributed to both coasts." "James Sanborn and Caleb Chase produced the first commercially available ground coffee in sealed cans in 1878."

Slim

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 03:55:24 PM »
I member now, but I didn't do no search that was outa my head.  Check out the Yuban thing.  Ya know how decaffinated (unleaded) coffee was invented. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Online Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 04:04:50 PM »

Online Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 04:08:38 PM »
Ya know how decaffinated (unleaded) coffee was invented. 
"1903: German coffee importer Ludwig Roselius turn a batch of ruined coffee beans over to researchers, who perfect the process of removing caffeine from the beans without destroying the flavor. He markets it under the brand name "Sanka." Sanka is introduced to the United States in 1923."

Slim

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 04:24:50 PM »
No fair using a search engine, I don't this is all in my head, scary ain't it. ;D :o
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Online Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 04:28:22 PM »
How am I going to look smart without Mr. Google?  ;D

Slim

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 06:46:26 PM »
Ok, Slim, you answered my question for your part, but my question still stands for you Delmonico... How do you know all this stuff?

Ok, another question for you gurus.  What kind of coffee was most drunken on the range, how was it packaged and approximately how much brew did the ole cowpunchers drink?  This is not a quiz, I really don't know :-[.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 09:23:06 PM »
Arbuckle's, it was packaged in 1 pound paper sacks, had a peppermint stick in each bag and a coupon that could be saved for exchange for good.  It was also packed 100 pounds to the wooden crate, almost as valuable as the coffee in the wood starved plains.  It was coated with a mixture of egg white and sugar to keep it fresh. 

It was called Arbuckle's Ariosa brand.  Slim try ta google this up.  What does Ariosa stand for.  NCOWS folks who read my article on coffee, no fair answering.

Strong and lousy, most of us would not want that strong boiled up nasty mess that passed fer coffee.  But I will pass my method of makin' good coffee in a boiler along soon.  Gotta go need to run my wife on an errond.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2004, 09:00:10 AM »
I'll bet that an old GI like me who drinks that old tar might be able to handle that Arbuckle's stuff.   ;)
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Online Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2004, 09:34:55 AM »
"Arbuckles' Coffee - Up until the close of the Civil war, coffee was sold green. It had to be roasted on a wood stove or in a skillet over a campfire before it could be ground and brewed. One burned bean ruined all; there was no consistency. In 1865 John Arbuckle and his brother Charles, partners in a Pittsburgh grocery business, changed all this by patenting a process for roasting and coating coffee beans with an egg and sugar glaze to seal in the flavor and aroma. Marketed under the name ARBUCKLES' ARIOSA COFFEE, in patented, airtight, one pound packages, the new coffee was an instant success with chuck wagon cooks in the west faced with the task of keeping Cowboys supplied with plenty of hot coffee out on the range. ARBUCKLES' ARIOSA COFFEE packages bore a yellow label with the name ARBUCKLES' in large red letters across the front, beneath which blew a flying Angel trademark over the words ARIOSA COFFEE in black letters. Shipped all over the country in sturdy wooden crates, one hundred packages to a crate. ARBUCKLES' ARIOSA COFFEE became so dominant, particularly in the west, that many Cowboys were not aware there was any other kind. Keen marketing minds, the Arbuckle Brothers printed signature coupons on the bags of coffee redeemable for all manner of notions including handkerchiefs, razors, scissors, and wedding rings.

To sweeten the deal, each package of ARBUCKLES' contained a stick of peppermint candy. Due to the demands on chuck wagon cooks to keep ready supplies of hot ARBUCKLES' on hand around the campfire, the peppermint stick became a means by which that steady coffee supply was ground. Upon hearing the cook's call, 'Who wants the candy?' some of the toughest Cowboys on the trail were known to vie for the opportunity of manning the coffee grinder in exchange for satisfying a sweet tooth. Today, thanks to the folks at ARBUCKLE, the Cowboys' favorite, ARBUCKLES' ARIOSA COFFEE, is available once more. Complete with the original Flying Angel trademark, the one pound packages of rich beans are every inch the full-bodied, aromatic coffee you'd expect from the likes of ARBUCKLES'. There's even a piece of peppermint inside. No longer just a fond memory for a dwindling breed of old-time cowmen, ARBUCKLES' ARIOSA COFFEE is back and as good as ever! Brew up a pot of ARBUCKLES' partner, and watch the sun rise!"
http://www.droversmercantile.com/coffee.cfm

The best I could do for the meaning of "Ariosa" is it means "airy" in Italian.

Slim

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2004, 10:26:52 AM »
Try again Slim, ask Jeeves this time.  Airy coffee sounds like it would give a cowboy wind? (proper term from the period William Clark wrote about the Camus root givin' him wind.) ;D :'(
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Online Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2004, 11:10:15 AM »

???

Slim

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2004, 11:41:25 AM »
Flatulance Filter?  Or did Mr. Jeeves call tha an Ariosa, hint go study coffee history, it's right there on the screen, plain as day, once yer eyes are opened. ;D ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com