Author Topic: Looking for 19th Century Detective Agencies  (Read 7081 times)

W.T.

Looking for 19th Century Detective Agencies
« on: October 02, 2006, 07:22:00 AM »
Hello the Fire.

For a personal project, I'm seeking information on private detective and security agencies of the 19th Century other than Pinkertons and those of the  railroad companies. 

I know that consortia of cattle and mining interests sometimes established and funded their own formal and informal security and investigative outfits, but I'm wondering if there were not other companies with a few offices throughout the country available for hire by business interests and private individuals.

Victorian America is a new research topic for me, and I'm not finding a whole lot on this aspect of it.  Any pointers, company names, or citations in 19th cent. periodicals and news reports would be much appreciated.

regards,
W.T.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Looking for 19th Century Detective Agencies
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 09:58:08 AM »
You're right in the observation that the various consortiums employed private detectives, inquiry agents, and their own police forces.

Some were long-lived - some weren't - and if you've been reading about the 'business' side of the Victorian Era - you know that businesses were formed - were sold - went bankrupt and were re-formed at a furious rate.

Use your search engine - but expand your search by thinking of the various ways that something could be named - i.e. - 'Private Detective = 'Inquiry Agent'.

By doing so - a couple of different 'doors' should open.

Post this one on the NCOWS Forum, as well, since a few of those guys portray Pinkertons and the like, and their research may prove useful to you.

And - once you have something - share it here.

Meanwhile - I'll look to see what I might have.

The stage companies and freighting outfits often used them - so look at 'Overland', 'Wells, Fargo', and 'Russell, Majors and Waddell'.

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 10:25:02 AM »
W.T.

I am currently doing research on 19th American Detectives.  I hope to have enough information to do a talk at the NCOWS convention in Feb. (Maybe even enough for a book.)

My notes are at home but here are a couple:

* The Furlong Secrete Service Co. - Thomas Furlong, St. Louis.
* The Rocky Mountain Detective Association - Dave Cook, Denver.
    [The book, Hands Up; or Twenty Years of Detective Life in the Mountains and on the Plains, by General David J. Cook is a good one to check out.]

The Adams Express Co. used Pinkerton's but many of the express companies (and Railroads) had their own in house detectives.  The Wells Fargo Chief Special Officer was James Hume (From about 1871-1911).

I currently have a list of a couple dozen names of detectives, most are "cinder dicks" (RR detectives) as that is my main focus.

My current NCOWS "Originals" character is a Special Officer (detective) for the AT& SF RR.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:26:15 PM »

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 10:32:53 AM »
when I lived over in Muskogee, Ok,  Uncle Bud Ledbetter was a well known old time Marshall, chief of Police and rail road detective.  google for him and there are several hits

The railroads often were targets of the lawless element. As a result, railroad detectives were hired to protect shipments of gold and silver. One of these persons who came to Indian Territory as a railroad detective and pursued a lifetime of law enforcement was James Franklin "Uncle Bud" Ledbetter. After serving as a detective for Wells Fargo to protect their payroll shipments between Oswego, Kans. and Checotah, Indian Territory, for a period, he was sworn in as deputy U.S. marshal in Muscogee on June 5, 1895.

Uncle Bud captured the infamous Al Jennings on Nov. 27, 1897, wounding him in the leg. As a boy, Pat Fite went with his father, Dr. F.B. Fite to the jail, where the doctor removed the bullet and dressed the wound.

Al was convicted and sent to prison in May of 1898. He was pardoned in 1902 and toured the state, appearing in theaters with his movie, "Beating Back."

Al ran for governor and was defeated by Robert L. Williams ... He later moved to California where he operated a chicken ranch.

Uncle Bud Ledbetter became a legend, serving as deputy U.S. marshal, city marshal of several communities, and as police chief of Muskogee and sheriff of Muskogee County. He was feared but respected by the lawless and loved by the citizens of Muscogee ...Though he captured many of the outlaws of the period and was shot at scores of times, he never was wounded. He was one of many who brought law and order to Indian Territory - and Muskogee.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

W.T.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 12:57:36 PM »
My cup runneth over; you fellas are the greatest.  Really had not much of an idea on best terms to form a search inquiry; thanks St. George.

Books, you've inspired me to start seeking out hardcopy; I gonna get those cited.  Actually once had a client who had me searching out those series volumes on the exploits of the Pinkertons - he'll be loaning 'em to me (when he gets them back from his vacation place in NH), but I've gotten interested in assembling my own collection, so any word about titles & authors will also be much appreciated.

And the "originals" class is of course what I'm shootin' for.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 11:52:22 PM »
Howdy, WT!

I realise that this is over a month old. Sorry.  Perhaps you know, but perhaps you don't: In real life, Books O'Toole (Mike Tatham) owns and operates a bookstore.  You might want to talk to him if you're trying to assemble 'hardcopies'.

He's a great pard and very trustworthy.

Happy Trails!

Jeff  "Steel Horse Bailey"
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

W.T.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 06:05:27 AM »
Did not know that, Steel Horse, but I'm in the antiquarian book (rare, scarce, & just-plain-used books) business myself!

CAS is such an appealing hobby I think because it just ain't about shooting, but about history - having enjoyed finding out that most CASers have a powerful bent toward studying the times that gave rise to the firearms and equipment of Victorian America.

Been busy trying to discover and acquire everything I can about the various 'conversions' and OT revolvers - those have the greatest appeal to me as exemplars of 19th Century Industrial design, when manufactured goods were always beautifully designed as well as functional.

Just got Breslin, Pirie, & Price's Variations of Colt's New Model Police & Pocket Breech Loading Pistols - the small-frame conversions.  That's a book worth having; those guys know more about the subject than Colt itself

W.T.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 09:39:10 AM »
A book to add is Charlie Siringo's - 'A Cowboy Detective' - it's an account of his life in that field.

As to the authors of 'Variations' - it's not uncommon that collectors know more than the factory.

They are, after all - 'collectors' - while the factory just makes things to make money.

A 'variation' to a collector is merely a cost-saving measure to the manufacturer.

Now - if that same 'collector' could provide a 'Letter' - he'd be in business - but alas, only the 'factory' can do that - and charge for it.

Good Hunting - hopefully, you'll have to build some new shelves for your personal library with a search like this one.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com