Author Topic: Ladies pocket watches of the Victorian period  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Doc Neeley

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ladies pocket watches of the Victorian period
« on: September 22, 2006, 03:54:08 PM »
Howdy all. On the photo site I noticed many pictures of ladies and girls wearing their watches so I thought I'd post some here for anyone wondering how to wear their watch. One thng that really surprised me was some ladies had watch pockets sewn into their dress.

The first picture is of several sized watches I have for reference.

The watch size only refers to the size of the movement. They were put in different sized cases all the time as noted.

On the left is what is definately a ladies size '0' watch. To it's right is a size '6' movement in a size 12 case (could be a ladies or gents watch). Next is a size 12 movement watch. On the right is a nice larger sz 16 hunter case watch for a gent.

Gent with an 'Albert' chain and fob.

Young girl with watch on necklace.

Lady with chain and watch pocket.

Hope you enjoy this little primer.

Doc
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream. -- T.K. Whipple

Offline Alice

• Citizen
    • Judge and Hot Kettle Alice
  • Liked:
Re: Ladies pocket watches of the Victorian period
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 03:02:32 PM »
Great photos Doc. Watch pockets were fairly common on ladies' dresses, usually sewn into the waistband or the front side seam. Some were separate pockets and worn pinned onto the garment. If a garment had no watch pocket the watch could simply be tucked into the skirt waistband.
"The West is Dead My Friend...But the writers hold the seed and what they saw will live and grow again to those who read," Charlie Russell 1917.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 11:53:57 PM »
Great pics, Doc!  Thanks
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:35:26 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com